National Treasures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Treasures

This kind of theme has been covered on other threads, but I was racking my brains to think of TV/celeb types that no one ever seems to have had a bad word for.

And I could only think of two: Lorraine Kelly and Rolf Harris*.

Are there any more?

* Although I read a story that Rolf once threatened to twat John Lennon. But Lennon probably needed a slap now and again.

National Treasures

If you can call him a TV/celeb type, but I've never seen anything bad written about Armando Iannucci.

Comment

National Treasures

Dame Judi Dench?

Comment

National Treasures

Former children's telly favourites are always guaranteed a certain immunity against criticism, so I'd go for Bernard Cribbins, Brian Cant and Valerie Singleton.

Comment

National Treasures

When I saw the thread title, I imagined it would be about programmes. However, the answer is still the same:

David Attenborough.

Comment

National Treasures

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
            Dame Judi Dench?
            Didn't people tut about her Oscar for about 6 minutes screen time in Shakespeare in Love?

Comment

National Treasures

I don't know, did they? It was probably the best 6 minutes of the film though.

Comment

National Treasures

One bad thing about Iannucci is that he backed the LibDems in the last election.

Comment

National Treasures

John Peel and Michael Palin.

They both went to the same school as well

Comment

National Treasures

I can't abide Lorraine Kelly. Honestly, she makes me nauseous.

So there you go.

Everyone loves Stephen Fry, don't they? Expect maybe some ultra Ipswich fans.

Comment

National Treasures

I know someone who did some filming with Rolf Harris a few years back, on one of those "Duck" boat/car things that do tours around London, he told me that Rolf was an utter c**t, possibly the most arrogant, selfish, unpleasant person he's ever had to deal with.

Comment

National Treasures

Recently a friend of mine mentioned in passing that she can't stand Stephen Fry. Now, I don't want to re-open that can of OTF worms that was my I-can-never-be-friends-with-someone-who-wears-brown-leather-shoes-with-jeans-at-the-weekend thread, but what other realistic options are there open to me here? I mean honestly.

Comment

National Treasures

I think the last time we did Stephen Fry on here, the main objection was his perceived brown-nosing of the royals, presumably in order to remain on the garden party guest list and keep his place in the gong queue.

Comment

National Treasures

ian.64 wrote:
                            Former children's telly favourites are always guaranteed a certain immunity against criticism, so I'd go for Bernard Cribbins, Brian Cant and Valerie Singleton.
                            Surely you can't leave Floella Benjamin out of that list.

Comment

National Treasures

I think the last time we did Stephen Fry on here, the main objection was his perceived brown-nosing of the royals, presumably in order to remain on the garden party guest list and keep his place in the gong queue.

Nope. It was because he's a "know-all". The person doing the objecting here has a First from Cambridge, I should mention.

Comment

National Treasures

Stephen Fry has become an all-purpose lickspittle in recent years, hasn't he. Comedy genius back in the 80s, of course, but all the royals, gadgets and branded tea put me off. And QI is insufferably smug and pointless.

I've a strong sense that Floella Benjamin is in fact a right cow. Tory type, "MY SON IS A SUCCESSFUL LAWYER" type. I'm not even going to Google or fact-check; I'll assume I'm correct until I hear otherwise. Yeah, that's how I roll on a Saturday night.

Comment

National Treasures

Lucia Lanigan wrote:

I've a strong sense that Floella Benjamin is in fact a right cow. Tory type, "MY SON IS A SUCCESSFUL LAWYER" type. I'm not even going to Google or fact-check; I'll assume I'm correct until I hear otherwise. Yeah, that's how I roll on a Saturday night.
                                  Floella Benjamin is a Liberal democrat life peer, so if she backs Nick Clegg then yeah, I suppose she is a Tory.

Comment

National Treasures

I've heard that Armando Iannucci is, in fact, insufferably annoying in person.

Comment

National Treasures

A few months ago I saw Arthur Smith really go to town with a rant about the ubiquitous nature of Stephen Fry's television career ("Stephen's feeling a bit fed up? Let's give him a series about depression. Stephen wants to go for a holiday? Let's send him to America with a film crew. Stephen's read an article about endangered species? Let's get a six part series out of it". Etc etc).

I don't think he liked Stephen Fry much.

Comment

National Treasures

According to an acquaintance who briefly worked on one of Cilla Black's insufferable Saturday evening shows, Cilla's personal assistant referred to her as "NT", as an abbreviation of "National Treasure".

Comment

National Treasures

Tony C wrote:
                                          A few months ago I saw Arthur Smith really go to town with a rant about the ubiquitous nature of Stephen Fry's television career ("Stephen's feeling a bit fed up? Let's give him a series about depression. Stephen wants to go for a holiday? Let's send him to America with a film crew. Stephen's read an article about endangered species? Let's get a six part series out of it". Etc etc).

I don't think he liked Stephen Fry much.
                                          I just read Arthur Smith's autobiography... and it was rather good (I just read Chris Evans' too, and that was pretty damned good, so I am no judge), but shoorley that says more about Arthur Smith than Stephen Fry?

(I thought the thread title automatically meant Judi Dench/David Attenborough/Elgin marbles than anything else?)

The only one I can think of is Joanna Lumley. (Apart from some of the above)

Comment

National Treasures

oh, and Johnny Ball. (UK only)

Comment

National Treasures

There are some right-wing idiots trying to say that Mr. Rogers is a malign influence, but they are very, very, wrong.

Comment

National Treasures

ian.64 wrote:
                                                Valerie Singleton
                                                When she presented PM on Radio 4, she threw a glass of water in the face of her co-presenter while on air, so definitely no Mary Poppins.

evilC wrote:
                                                David Attenborough
                                                I would probably come to blows with our Dave, on account of his bizarre belief in the Yeti/Bigfoot.

Comment

National Treasures

Gerontophile wrote:
                                                  oh, and Johnny Ball. (UK only)
                                                  Outspoken climate change denier.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X