Sydney Pollack has died.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sydney Pollack has died.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-pollack27-2008may27,0,7188390.story

Sydney Pollack has died.

New York is a coast, too.

R.I.P

Comment

Sydney Pollack has died.

"A tomato doesn't have logic!"

I caught that line he wailed at Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie in a clip I saw this morning. A shame to hear of his death, although he was battling with lengthy illness some time ago, and this news, to be frank, doesn't come that much as a huge surprise, although it is saddening.

He was certainly one of cinema's more accomplished directors and in the 70's thriller thread a couple of his films were mentioned, but then, he was more adept at the acting side of business rather than the technical side. Unshowy, crisp and elegant direction was his trademark, a pointed, strong approach, yet smoothly done.

The afore-mentioned Tootsie, just as an example, could have been a hackneyed, shitty, third-rate farce if done today. But in Pollack's hands, becomes this warm, sharp, knowing and beautifully-done comedy which utilises every talent to hand.

That's just one example: he's got a pretty good track record.

RIP, Sid.

Comment

Sydney Pollack has died.

I really liked him as an actor, too - just off the top of my head, his turn as an oily attorney in A Civil Action (with John Travolta) was one of the best bits of the film.

Sad, but we're all going that way, I suppose.

Comment

Sydney Pollack has died.

Quite right, ian. Tootsie is a wonderful movie. I've seen it mentioned a couple of times on those "Ha ha how naff were the 80z LOL" type of things, alongside Jane Fonda's legwarmers and Flock of Seagulls hair (now, there's a cliché). Quite evidently, the people who think Tootsie is naff have never seen the film.

Comment

Sydney Pollack has died.

erwin is right to draw attention to the fact that Pollack was a fine actor - I thought he was the best thing in Michael Clayton despite the fact he was up against three excellent actors (Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson, George Clooney) with more substantial roles.

Comment

Sydney Pollack has died.

He was great as an actor in Husbands and Wives as well.

Comment

Sydney Pollack has died.

You know, I've never really understood all the fuss about Tootsie. The newscaster on NPR's news roundup last night pronounced it as "Tutsi".

Comment

Sydney Pollack has died.

Horses for courses, I suppose. I just find that Tootsie has this potentially preposterous idea handled with wit, cunning, exceptional performances and sharp, yet unobtrusive direction. And it's just darn likeable.

Although, that said, not everyone can like it.

Comment

Working...
                  X