The Corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Corner

Okay, so I was going to start a thread on this new HBO show that premiered last night. It's called The Corner. It's a gritty look at the life of poor, black drug addicts in Baltimore. I know The Wire is popular with many here, so I figured this might be, too.

I go on the interweb to check out something before I post and I find out that it's from 2000. 2000? WTF? I've never even heard of it before. And apparently many of the actors went on to work on The Wire. Huh.

Anyhoo...if it's replaying on your provider, check it out. Great stuff. Older than I'd thought, of course, but great nonetheless.

Now, there's this band I've just heard. They're called The Beatles, and it seems...

The Corner

I subtitled this series! Years ago. It's brilliant but so depressing. The final episode is about the best hour of TV I've ever seen.

Comment

The Corner

Dang, I’ve recently started watching this but I’ve reached a bit of a hiatus as mentioned on the “staying friends with exes” thread and need to decide if I’m going to press on on my own.

It’s been cracking so far.

Comment

The Corner

It seems it's only six episodes, SW2. I think you can afford to stick with it.

Comment

The Corner

I know, but it's been a personal journey through "The Wire" and now "The Corner" with someone else yada yada yada.

Pah, ignore me, I'm just being daft.

Comment

The Corner

I went through this not long ago. Excellent stuff and the last episode is amazingly powerful.

I'm also going through Homicide: Life On The Street and have just finished Generation Kill.

Basically, I'm hoovering up everything David Simon has had a hand in. It's leading to some excellent watching.

Comment

The Corner

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
              It seems it's only six episodes, SW2. I think you can afford to stick with it.
              Six episodes? That's like, what, two years of a show in British terms?

Comment

The Corner

It's excellent. It doesn't quite all come together the way The Wire does, but most of the ingredients that made The Wire great are there, not to mention half the cast.

So cool that our very own Lyra is associated with it.

I used to quite like Homicide, but I don't think I could watch it now. It's so very studio-diluted and Hollywoodised as Simoniana goes. But I think Generation Kill is superb, and should have been more celebrated. Is it Simon's The Magnificent Ambersons? A merely brilliant follow-up to something staggeringly wonderful?

Comment

The Corner

You know I did all five seasons of the Wire too right? I am very extra super cool me.

Comment

The Corner

So lyra, this subtitling carry-on, if I’ve got the UK-issued discs I can switch on the subs for the hard-of-hearing and say “see them, I sort of know the woman who did those off the internet”, then?

Comment

The Corner

Lyra wrote:
                      You know I did all five seasons of the Wire too right? I am very extra super cool me.
                      You certainly are.

Comment

The Corner

You did Daratt too. At the end of the film, your name came up as having done the subtitles, I had one of those weird "I know that person from a messageboard on the internet" moments.

I watched about 20 minutes of The Corner after finishing The Wire and couldn't abide the faux-documentary presentation style. I should go back to it now.

Comment

The Corner

Why on Earth... wrote:
                          Is it Simon's The Magnificent Ambersons? A merely brilliant follow-up to something staggeringly wonderful?
                          Ambersons had the potential to be even better than Kane if it hadn't been cut down by an hour and have clumsily-shot scenes inserted by the studio.

Comment

The Corner

Watched another three episodes on Wednesday, just the finale to go. It’s rare now (or in 2000) to watch something so slow paced but so gripping. This is probably a trite observation but as this has never stopped me before, I’m going to suggest it’s like “Play For Today” used to be, or as I remember them as a child, or more specifically as I’ve seen “Boys From The Black Stuff” again as an adult, like an American take on that type of concept.

Comment

The Corner

In The Year Two Thousaaaaaand...

Comment

The Corner

I was surprised to learn at the end that it was set in 1992 or so, although I did find DeAndre and his chums rhyming Onyx’s “Slam” a little incongruous for 2000ish.

I’ve got the book to read now.

Comment

Working...
                                X