• Time
  • Show
Clear All

57+3 channels and nothing to watch

ITV to launch 3 HD pay channels.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/03/itv-unveils-pay-tv-push

Good lord.

Does this mean paying extra to watch repeats of Minder and The Sweeney?

Comment

I don't think "Barney" Crozier knows himself.

Comment

I can't imagine they'd get repeats on the HD channels, given they weren't filmed in HD. Although you never know.

Who watches ITVs 2 3 and 4 anyway? Especially if the non-HD channels are staying on Freeview, why on earth do they think anyone would want to pay extra for that shit? If any of them were remotely as good as BBC Four, say, it might be understandable...

Comment

See the contents of Arthur's lock-up in HD detail.

Who watches ITVs 2 3 and 4 anyway?
          I watch 3&4 for the programmes Alessandro mentioned and Brett's Sherlock Holmes. ITV2 seems to be warmed up leftovers from previous nights in on ITV1 but IIRC is something like the second most watched station amongst digital only channels.

Comment

I watch ITV4, both for programmes with Dennis Waterman in and for the chance to follow whoever's come 6th in the Premiership in Europe.

Comment

Anyway, I see my sharp pop culture reference in the thread title has gone uncredited, perhaps unseen by E10 et al. When I say "What's Brokeback Mountain?" or whatever they always see that.

"Barney Crozier" was also pretty sharp, I thought.

Comment

The live Tour de France coverage was on ITV4.

Comment

Apols Tubbs, I should indeed have credited you for alluding to a Bruce Springsteen song from 15 or so years ago

Comment

Well, fine, but you also missed the reference to Bergerac from 25 years ago

Comment

Another viewer of Sherlock Holmes, Sweeney, Minder and The Professionals here.

Comment

I've always thought that there might be an edge for a cable/satellite provider by enabling clients to cherry-pick the stations they want, and charging them pro rata.

I've got so much cr*p on my cable package that I just feel overwhelmed and basically exploited; if I zap through, I'm bound to alight upon some station devoted to dubious Brazilian churches or yachting ... perleeez!

Just charge me for the ones I choose to watch and I'd be a happy punter.

Comment

Yeah, I want to watch test matches and not Premier League football. Wish someone would let me do that. Given the way the Murdochites bang on about the BBC licence fee ("I don't listen to Radio 3, yet I have no choice but to pay for it"), you think someone might make this point more often.

axel, fine episode of The Sweeney on today. Patrick Mower and George Layton as Australians.

Comment

When we are all watching live video on our computers rather than these outmoded 20th century "television" gizmos, that kind of pricing will be more economically viable.

I already pay an annual fee to Major League Baseball for internet access to several thousand live broadcasts a year and would be more than happy to do the same for cricket or European football if someone could a) come up with a reasonable price (USD 200 a year for some tests is ridiculous, WillowTV) and/or b) sort out the rights issues (football).

Comment

Yeah, it was a pretty good episode of the Sweeney today. Haskins being bent - ridiculous!
                              That cheesy 'Col and Ray' theme is stuck in my head now as well.

Comment

You know there's another episode with the "Aussies", George? Called Trojan Bus. Look out for it. If you ever meet Matt P from here (currently offline) don't get him on to these episodes and expect to get a word in edgeways for the next three hours.

That old Rugby Special music was great, wasn't it?

Comment

It's ridiculously catchy. It took me a while to figure out what the music was called because the rugby connection meant nothing to me. Anyhow it's called Holy Mackerel and Shadows drummer Brian Bennett appears to have created it along with a load of other made for TV music including the BBC Golf theme. Trojan Bus doesn't seem to get shown as often as the one which aired today.

We're on a pretty good run of episodes at the moment (some of the later ones were a bit ropey). One of the best Faces, was on just a few days ago with Colin Welland playing the fantastically unpleasant Tober.

Comment

Colin Welland was good in that. I think I recall him from an advert where he was being a cuddly, whimsical northerner. He looks a really hard case in The Sweeney. A good actor, clearly.

I like the old BBC golf music. Not a fan of the remix of it. It's like when they mucked about with the Bergerac theme.

Comment

You a Professionals man, George? There's an episode on at the moment called "Takeaway". It's about the Chinese, you see. I'm sure it'll end up with someone running amok with a machine gun in Henley-on-Thames, as always. Someone who had "his entire family wiped out by terrorists".

Comment

Did you see the bit where the car with the kidnapped wife in it pulls up next to a tunnel by a small railway bridge, and they bundle her out the door and dump her by the side of the road, then speed off? That's right next to my house, that is. Still looks the same now.

Comment

I'm happy, as long as Yesterday continues to show episodes of All Creatures Great And Small.

Also, I think it was Yesterday that showed Russell T Davies' The Grand a little while ago, which was great.

Comment

Taylor wrote:
                                            Did you see the bit where the car with the kidnapped wife in it pulls up next to a tunnel by a small railway bridge, and they bundle her out the door and dump her by the side of the road, then speed off? That's right next to my house, that is. Still looks the same now.
                                            Yeah saw that. That must be a Spaniards Inn level traffic bottleneck.

My "Susie Wong" bingo number came up in that episode. Did anyone mention laundries when I was making the tea?

Are you a Thief Takers man? Race is handled in the same way in that. It was made in the mid90s.

Comment

Not Spaniards Inn, it's just a road under the old railway line by the Highgate/Crouch End borders, ten seconds' walk from where Pink Floyd used to live before they got famous.

Don't the Chinese people in that episode hang around Camden Lock? I seem to remember seeing old Romo hangout Club Skinny through the window of their shop or whatever it was.

Never seen Thief Takers, actually. Is it any good?

Comment

Thief Takers is absolutely dreadful. I've honestly never seen a worse cop show than that. A black character in it once rubbed his arm and said "it won't wash off".

I was meaning that bridge looked like it could cause the same tailbacks as Spaniards Inn. You can give me a film/TV tour of Highgate sometime. And a Romo tour.

Comment

REECE DINSDALE!

Tubby, I'm on the fence about The Professionals , although it makes for a fairly enjoyable hour as TV goes. They did seem to love filming scenes in pub beer gardens (and possibly in Henley-on-Thames as well), or maybe it's just the episodes I catch.

It's on hiatus at the moment but it surely won't be long before they stick On The Buses back into the schedule. How on earth it's endured for so long when so many of it's contemporaries have been locked away in the vaults for years challenges rational thought. It's been repeated ad nauseum by ITV since the mid-80's.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X