The Killer Inside Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Killer Inside Me

I like Michael Winterbottom as a film-maker and I was curious and keen to see this.

However I see it's been released to a huge uproar about the apparently unflinching nature of violence towards women that is shown on screen.

As I can't, at the moment, find a cinema in the Greater Manchester area that is showing the film I'm in no position to make further comment.

Anyone here seen it yet?

The Killer Inside Me

Haven't seen it, but it's probably my favorite Jim Thompson novel. The bit when he starts using italics to show what the sheriff really thinks is one of my favorite moments ever reading a book.

There was also a 1975 version with Stacey Keach that I never saw. Until I see that or this, the winners for greatest Jim Thomspon novel film would be

1) Coup de Torchon (pop. 1280)
    2) The Grifters

Comment

The Killer Inside Me

Just caught up with this. It's highly stylised and the landscape and town are playing the joint lead with Affleck. Casey Affleck continues to be mesmirising on screen.

The violence towards women is unflinching although a little cartoonish in it's portrayal. What I didn't understand is the way the women react to the violence. Is the film trying to say that women just want to be submissive or that society has trained them to expect and secretly want to be abused? Or am I missing the subtlety in what the violence and in particular their reaction to it represents?

Comment

Working...
      X