Derren Brown thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derren Brown thing

It was quite good. In contrast to his last dismal outing, I have to say.

If anyone else caught it, well, let's have a conversation about it!

Derren Brown thing

Didn't even know it was on, but will be going to see him at Wimbledon theatre in a few days.

Comment

Derren Brown thing

For some reason, I found this absolutely excruciating. I like Derren Brown, but his subject last night took an instant dislike to him from the off, which kind of skewed my perspective.

I thought the brass-necked cheek of this Joe Power character, fascinating, but the whole idea of someone preying on the insecurities of bereaved, I find absolutely abhorrent. And his treatment of the plant sitter was appalling.

And I thought Mr Brown was very restrained in his response to the bad readings of Mr Power. He should have torn him a new one.

Comment

Derren Brown thing

I was looking forward to it after seeing it featured in (not Charlie Brooker's) Screen Burn. And it didn't disappoint. I've got a few quibbles with the way Brown went about it, but overall, seeing such a manipulative cunt unmasked on national telly was brilliant. Especially when he lost his rag. I do wonder how many non-skeptical people it will actually get through to. The most depressing moment was when the woman who Brown had openly cold read said that she thought he was psychic.

Comment

Derren Brown thing

Well, she does star on Hollyoaks.

Comment

Derren Brown thing

But I think people are always going to believe bollocks. The interest for me was less to do with the programme persuading people to become sceptics, and more to do with the entertaining unmasking of a charlatan with a bad case of arsecrack.

Comment

Derren Brown thing

I saw this and thought it was terrific. It would be nice if it convinced a few credulous people of the error of their ways, but either it way it was, as GY and WoE say, just great fun to see such an exploitative, manipulative prick so thoroughly shown up for what he is.

Comment

Derren Brown thing

Why on Earth... wrote:
                The interest for me was less to do with the programme persuading people to become sceptics, and more to do with the entertaining unmasking of a charlatan with a bad case of arsecrack.
                Haha.

He looked like a hybrid of Bill Murray and Michael Stipe with weird yellow indentations on his head.
                When he said 'book' in Scouse, I laughed out loud, as the young people say.
                Brown should have called him a liar and a charlaton right to his face.

The Hollyoakes gits were as hilariously stupid as their programme.

Comment

Derren Brown thing

I was slightly concerned that old Derren's antagonism might at some point have earned him a knuckle sandwich when the psychic seemed to forget himself. I wonder if Derren had taken the precaution of ensuring a gang of heavies were off camera ready to protect him?

Comment

Derren Brown thing

I dunno - Joe seems very easily intimidated if this article is anything to go by. "Surrounded" and "attacked" by two people - or to be more precise, "asked questions by two people who he then compared to paedophiles".

Comment

Derren Brown thing

Saw him in Edmonton last night.I was gobsmacked-he told a woman whose nephew died as a result of a fall from a 14th floor window that she should tell her sister that it’s ok,he did not jump-he went on to imply he was killed in the flat,then chucked out of the window!!He was utterly crass,talking to a woman whose son died in a car crash about “crushing” and asking if there had been horrific head injuries.

Blimey.

Comment

Derren Brown thing

There's a predictable statement on Joe Power's website: http://www.joepower.co.uk/joe-power-news/99-joepower-latest-news.html

I enjoyed the programme but found it a little disappointing. I'm not sure why - it didn't go into it in enough detail for my liking, although I guess it's the fault of the "psychic" for refusing to be tested. More cold reading from Derren Brown would have be useful to highlight the similarities. But anyway, the guy ended up looking like a prat which was quite satisfying.

Comment

Derren Brown thing

He really should have got someone to proofread that.

AND 'Live Readings... £1.50 a minute'.

Comment

Derren Brown thing

Not quite as fun as the last one, mainly because the conmen were a bit sharper than poor old Joe. I particularly liked the way that as soon as Vladimir knew he was rumbled, he immediately went on about how they don't do healing. Having just told a bloke that he would be able walk if he followed the exercises and wasn't "lazy". Of course, making false medical claims is illegal.

I do think Derren's open minded schtick is getting a bit tiresome though. I mean, he so obviously isn't going in with any expectation of a positive result. Doesn't invalidate the exercise, but I wish he'd stop pretending otherwise.

Comment

Derren Brown thing

Yeah, I know what you mean. And I agree, too, that this week's wasn't as good.

Comment

Derren Brown thing

I liked finding out that blind people in Holland get to have giant poodles instead of labradors.

Comment

Working...
                                X