Can't believe I watched that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, so I was 16 or something, but still.

The Cosby show. What utter vomit provocing shite. Cosby must be the most pointless, crappy comedian of all time. One of his "jokes" takes forever and is about as funny as dipping your face in a bucket of shit.
    And his wife, walking around the show with that constant fucking "you better watch it, pal" look.

Now when I think back, the whole bullshit show was one "The moral of the story is", after another, with bloody family meetings and kids getting in front of a tribunal for foegetting to close the fridge.

I'd rather shoot myself than live a single day in that deranged, boring, freak of a family.

Now when I think back, the whole bullshit show was one "The moral of the story is", after another, with bloody family meetings and kids getting in front of a tribunal for foegetting to close the fridge.
    To be fair, a lot of American comedies of that era were like that. But cosby was the worst.

Comment

Family Guy repeatedly nails The Cosby Show so brilliantly and viciously that I can't really remember what the actual Cosby Show was like any more.

Comment

Retrospectively, you're probably right, but it was an important show at the time.

Comment

And South Park in turn viciously nails Family Guy in the Cartoon Wars episodes.

Comment

I assume it must've been if SR remembers it, but I've no memories of The Cosby Show on UK telly.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
              I assume it must've been if SR remembers it, but I've no memories of The Cosby Show on UK telly.
              I remember watching it at my dad's house in the early-to-mid-90s (which means it must have been on on Sunday early evening - probably on Channel 4), along with The Wonder Years.

Comment

Cosby was (and is) a brilliant comedian. I just feel extreme pity for anybody who thinks he isn't funny.

The Cosby show on the other hand, was mostly dire.

Comment

''Y'see, the kids, they listen to the rap music, which gives them the brain damage.''

I seem to remember it going out between 6-7pm on weekends but this is 20 years ago now so I may be wrong.

Incredibly, it ranked number 1 in the Nielsen ratings for five consecutive seasons over in the US (only two other shows have matched it), and was the show credited with turning around the fortunes of NBC. Despite 8 years of inflicting questionable jumpers on the viewing public Cosby could do no wrong and was given another vehicle - The Cosby Mysteries - which flopped.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                    Retrospectively, you're probably right, but it was an important show at the time.
                    Because the lead character was a black doctor and not a drug dealer?

Genuinely curious

Comment

Matej wrote:
                      Cosby was (and is) a brilliant comedian. I just feel extreme pity for anybody who thinks he isn't funny.

The Cosby show on the other hand, was mostly dire.
                      The only time Cosby is funny in stand-up comedy is when Eddie Murphy mocks his style in Raw, which says a great deal.

Comment

Pietro Paolo Virdis wrote:
                        Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                        Because the lead character was a black doctor and not a drug dealer?

Geniunly curious
                        It was a show about a middle-class family that happened to be black. And it was a big mainstream success -- I can think of few other examples preceding it.

Comment

wingco wrote:
                          And South Park in turn viciously nails Family Guy in the Cartoon Wars episodes.
                          Yeah, I've seen that, but Family Guy is still better.

Comment

Cavalry Trouser Tips wrote:
                            Gangster Octopus wrote:
                            I remember watching it at my dad's house in the early-to-mid-90s (which means it must have been on on Sunday early evening - probably on Channel 4), along with The Wonder Years.
                            Yeah, Channel 4, late 80s/early 90s.

Comment

Your favourite cartoon show sucks!

Comment

Not only was it a sitcom about a middle-class (very upper middle-class) black family, it was a family sitcom period. At the time, those had gone out of fashion and The Cosby Show brought it back.

I loved the early years of that show, but I was just a kid and not very cynical or smart, so yeah it probably was shit.

Cosby was a good comedian in his day, but his day was a long time ago.

Comment

We have a couple of records at home of cosby from the 60's, and they were very funny indeed. Admittedly I haven't listened to them since I was very small, but they were funny in a way that the cosby show just wasn't.

I'm stunned that a show about rich black people was so popular in the US in the 1980's.

Comment

The Mighty Kubelgog!!! wrote:
                                    We have a couple of records at home of cosby from the 60's, and they were very funny indeed. Admittedly I haven't listened to them since I was very small, but they were funny in a way that the cosby show just wasn't.

I'm stunned that a show about rich black people was so popular in the US in the 1980's.
                                    There was a very popular one in the 90s as well:

Comment

Working...
                                    X