Death Proof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Proof

(I couldn't find an original thread devoted to this.)

I'm watching this dubbed into German -- so presumably can't 'appreciate' the finer points of dialogue -- but, Christ, what a clunker this is.

Endless tedious dialogue. It also fails as a homage to 70s cheapo flicks in that it just looks too professional -- the lighting, direction and film stock are of too good a quality. Occasionally he remembers to shove a few scratches in post-production.

German terrestrial TV has obviously bought a job lot of duff films--I've already sat through Catwoman and Battlefield Earth this year.

Death Proof

I was excited enough by the Grindhouse idea to actually see it in the theatre. As an experience, it was alright. Fake trailers and '70s schtick and whatnot. I just don't get the zombie genre, so Planet Terror was lost on me. I did enjoy Death Proof, but I think it was largely in comparison to PT, which ran first.

Comment

Death Proof

I have to be in the right mood to watch Death Proof. It drags and doesn't seem to go anywhere until Stuntman Mike gives Rose McGowan a lift home. The second half of the film doesn't feel like a cheap exploitation film at all, just a bad attempt at one.

I got the Grindhouse set for Xmas and I have to say I enjoyed Planet Terror a lot because it really did feel like a tacky drive-in movie at times with a few laughs thrown in.

Comment

Death Proof

Death Proof is utterly terrible and utterly preposterous and I adored every minute of it.

Comment

Death Proof

I really like Death Proof. (I quite liked Planet Terror as well, but not as much, cos essentially I think zombies are rubbish.)

And I actually thought the dialogue-heavy thing was brilliant. The women in the car, making endless small-talk at the start, but actually ramping up the tension massively, because you know this is a Tarantino film, you've read some of the pre-publicity, and you know that the chit-chat could be cut short any second by someone's leg getting torn off.

Comment

Death Proof

I saw the 2 hour international version first and found it almost interminable, but the US theatrical Grindhouse cut, which is thirty minutes shorter, is a lot more fun.

Comment

Death Proof

Giddy Turns wrote:
              I saw the 2 hour international version first and found it almost interminable, but the US theatrical Grindhouse cut, which is thirty minutes shorter, is a lot more fun.
              That's the one I saw. watched both as a double bill and to say the ending of Death Proof was satisfying is an understatement.

Comment

Death Proof

Grindhouse faux-trailer Hobo with a Shotgun now actually filming in Nova Scotia.

Comment

Death Proof

Well, indeed. Tarantino seems to have forgotten that these flicks were 80-90 minutes long.

Comment

Working...
                  X