Films that everybody's seen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life. Nor The Godfather Part 2 (or 3). Nor Titanic. Nor bloody Avatar. Or Forest bloody Gump.

Comment

Gone With The Wind really is a rancid slice of old ham well past it's 1939 sell-by date. Fiddle-dee-dee indeed.

Comment

sw2boro wrote:
        I seem to have been the only person in my cohort not to have seen ET.
        Me too!!

Comment

According to its IMDB 'trivia' entry, 'The Wizard of Oz' (the one with Judy Garland) is the most watched film of all time.

Comment

It used to be on TV a lot, so that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
              I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life. Nor The Godfather Part 2 (or 3).
              Ditto.

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              The Great Escape
              Me neither.

Don't think Citizen Kane's been mentioned. Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                My son (4)
                Time really does fly...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                  Time really does fly...
                  Oh, man. That's frightening. He's 16 now, and we spent an hour on the phone with the school board 'council' this morning appealing his fighting suspension from last November.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

Ditto.

Me neither.

Don't think Citizen Kane's been mentioned. Nope.
                    Everyone should see the first two Godfather films for a variety of reasons.

It's a Wonderful Life is a nice primer on how building and loans work and Donna Reed is radiant, but I don't know if it's referenced in daily life outside the US (or if it will be much longer).

Citizen Kane is fine, but not among my favorites. I'm sure lots of people haven't seen it. Unlike the others mentioned, it's not one that was repeated on cable a lot, IIRC.

I don't think The Great Escape is as widely known in the US as it is in the UK, but I may be wrong. I recall watching it on VHS when VHS rentals first became a thing and my parents suggested it. But I don't recall it being on TV much. I watched it again recently. It's not as uplifting as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

Never seen:

Gone With the Wind
                      Wizard of Oz
                      Sound of Music
                      Grease
                      Any of the Lord of the Rings movies (most proud of that)
                      So, in the past 12 years I've seen Wizard of Oz and Sound of Music. Still a no on GWTW, Grease, LOTR, and Avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                        Everyone should see the first two Godfather films for a variety of reasons.
                        Nope.

Comment

Agree, the first two Godfather are masterpieces. My wife has still not seen Grease, nor I Avatar or The Matrix.

Comment

Skimming back, I can't see that Blazing Saddles has been mentioned. Surely, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                              Nope.
                              Just one reason than?

Two of the greatest films ever and part of the culture. It's like reading Hamlet. You don't have to like it, but it helps to know it because it's repeatedly referenced elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                Agree, the first two Godfather are masterpieces. My wife has still not seen Grease, nor I Avatar or The Matrix.
                                Grease is no loss, IMO, neither is Avatar.

I really like The Matrix, but it's overrated, especially the blue pill/red pill bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                  part of the culture
                                  Part of your culture, not mine.

Comment

Well, film culture, I mean. Maybe that's not a thing.

Comment

Films are like popular music, time and place dependent. More now than was once the case, you'll never get consensus.

Comment

I've never been much of a cinema goer but I've seen most of those referenced upthread largely because they'd all been on TV multiple times in the days before the likes of Netflix changed viewing habits forever, such that unless you were the sort of person who never shared a TV with family or friends it was almost impossible to ignore them completely even if you'd wanted to.

Those I've not seen - all the Star Wars films after the first, the Star Trek and Lord of the Rings films and The Godfather - I at least know what they're about. Avatar though - was its inclusion here the equivalent of What's The Story Morning Glory? featuring in so many 'best album ever' lists of the time, because it's one whose very existence has completely passed me by?

Comment

Avatar is the second highest grossing film ever and was only topped a couple of years ago. There's a sequel coming out this year apparently. Not seen the first one, don't particularly care to.

Comment

I've seen Avatar, though I can tell you nothing about it except that I seem to recall some of the characters are blue

Comment

Just typed Avatar into Google and was amused that one of the top links was asking why a film that made so much money has made so little impact on popular culture. Helps to explain my ignorance at least!

Comment

Of those specifically mentioned in this thread, I know I haven't seen:

The Lion King
                                                The Ten Commandments
                                                The Greatest Story Ever Told
                                                Sargeant York

Titanic
                                                BMX Bandits
                                                The History Boys
                                                The Littlest Hobo
                                                The Passion of Joan of Arc

Forest Gump

The one I'm not 100% sure about is:

Cleopatra

I mean, I might have, but I think I haven't, but really who knows?

Comment

Yeah. I was actually going to suggest that this is the reason it's like Oasis. Absolutely massive in its era yet with no lasting cultural impact at al. The post-Avatar world would be no different had Avatar never existed, just like Oasis.

Anyway, I've never seen it. Nor any Godfather movies. Nor LOTR ones (I've seen the odd two minute fragment and concluded that they're not for me). Nor Citizen Kane or It's A Wonderful Life. And I've still not made it to the end of The Matrix.

Comment

I recommend Citizen Kane and the first 2 Godfather films

Comment

Working...
                                                    X