Freetime Machos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freetime Machos

Been waiting for Muukalainen to start this thread, but I guess he isn't going to.

Freetime Machos

Freetime Machos

I'd love to see this. Muukalainen's deadpan resignation at the crapness of his team alone seems to be worth the price of admission.

Comment

Freetime Machos

Muukalainen (and others) say it is very good, but it might not get the Tampere Film Festival award it was tipped to win as it is now perceived to be pretty high profile in comparison to, for example, this one.

Comment

Freetime Machos

Thanks BC, I've not been around too much lately.

We went to see it last night, and it's much more impressive seeing it on the big screen than on the telly. First night on public release is tonight. It's been getting some pretty good reviews in the press here, so let's see how it goes over the weekend. It's also been selected for the Tribeca Festival (apparently, one of the organisers was a judge at the Amsterdam festival and loved it), so New Yorkers get the chance to see it next month.

Comment

Freetime Machos

For those that are interested, a local film making company, Klaffi, followed our club around during 2007. The idea at the time was to get a 1 hour documentary for domestic TV about the workings of a small, minority sports club. What has come out of it, after the injection of a sizeable amount of German cash, is a feature length film which went on public release yesterday. Attendances seem to have been reasonable, and we'll consider it successful if we get a six week run at the cinemas.

It's unlikely to make it on general release outside of Finland, but it's already made it to festivals in Amsterdam, Gothenburg and Barcelona, and has been accepted at festivals in Tampere and New York.

Hilariously, I now have my own page in IMDB. All I need now is an exceptionally brilliant agent.

Comment

Freetime Machos

That looks good, really enjoyed the trailer.

Forgive my ignorance Muukalainen but which one is you? I'm assuming it's the coach, apologies if I'm wrong.

Comment

Freetime Machos

Sorry, I meant to put a link to my imdb page but somehow forgot. Yeah, I'm the grey anoraked coach.

Comment

Freetime Machos

A bit more about the Tribeca festival: Freetime Machos will be screened on 25th April. I don't have time or cinema details at the moment. North American residents can watch it, at a hefty price, from the comfort of your own laptop.

Comment

Freetime Machos

... and we'll consider it successful if we get a six week run at the cinemas.
                  Not to be, sadly. Audience figures have been above our own expectations, but not enough for the commercial reality. Unless something drastic happens over this weekend, it looks like it's destined for a two week run.

For our Oslo based OTFers, it'll be shown at Cinemateket tomorrow at 1800, and Sunday at 2145.

Comment

Freetime Machos

Screening times and places for Tribeca.
                    Audience figures are struggling in Turku, but a third week beckons in both Helsinki (albeit no weekend screenings) and Oulu.

Comment

Freetime Machos

And for our Canadian fans we're off to Toronto.

Comment

Freetime Machos

We're off to New York then, for the screening on 25.4. Faced with the not too challenging "if we pay for your flights and hotel, will you come to New York with us?", I decided to postpone my winter holiday to the end of April. All 5 of the main characters will be present, the first time we've all been together since the end of season piss up in 2007.

Comment

Freetime Machos

I have to admit to knowing very little about the history of the Tribeca Film Festival -- or any other, for that matter -- but it seems important for the Finns. An invitation's arrived for brunch at the Finnish Consulate on the Sunday. Don't over do the Saturday night then.

The film's closed in Turku and Helsinki, and is in the last few showings in Tampere and Oulu. We didn't get our 6 weeks, something like 4 weeks and some days would be the best (Oulu, unsurprisingly). It's now starting to tour the country.

Comment

Freetime Machos

Or perhaps staying at home this weekend. The country's airfields and airspace are closed at the moment courtesy of volcanic ash, and the predictions aren't too promising.

Comment

Freetime Machos

It'd be shit to miss out on that, but I guess congratulations on the invite are in order. When are you supposed to fly?

Comment

Freetime Machos

Thanks, BC. We're scheduled to leave on Friday, the idea being to recover from the combined effects of jetlag and Finnair free drinks (or am I out of date on that one?) in time for the beano and screening on the Sunday. Mrs M's cunningly squeezed some shopping into the midst of the Saturday's recuperation, that may need some hasty re-thinking should we need to travel on that day.

Comment

Freetime Machos

Just back from my first ever visit to both New York and a film festival. Highlight was undoubtedly brunch at the Finnish consulate, complete with beautiful view over Central Park and an entirely clued up and down to earth ambassador; lowlight was freezing in front of the camera during an interview.

The film seems to have been mostly positively received, on some occasions very much so. The Q&A sessions after a showing are fine; the media circus I'm happy to have experienced once, but not again. Next time I go to NY I'll make sure that I get to see at least some of the place.

There are a couple more showings of Machos at Tribeca this week; later on it will be shown in Toronto, and some kind of deal is being, or maybe already has been, done for distribution in Australia. I'll post more when I know it.

Comment

Freetime Machos

The pics from Tribeca were great; it's like I now a big celebrity. It must have been a great experience. Did anybody ask for your autograph?

Never mind the cinema circuit, is the film coming out on DVD?

Comment

Freetime Machos

I like the use of rugby balls in the photos. They make it look like you were just about to charge into the media and tackle them.

You missed some strange stuff in the hockey, btw, probably best to pretend it never happened.

Comment

Freetime Machos

Ball Comrade wrote:
                                        They make it look like you were just about to charge into the media and tackle them.
                                        Tempting, tempting... Let's just say that the media circus and me weren't made for each other.

G.Man wrote:
                                        Did anybody ask for your autograph?
                                        If they did, I didn't hear them.

G.Man continued:
                                        Never mind the cinema circuit, is the film coming out on DVD?
                                        Yes, definitely, but no-one's sure when. The plan is to release it in time for Father's Day, which is the beginning of November, but let's see what happens.

Comment

Freetime Machos

The film opens tonight in Toronto in about an hour's time, if I've got the time difference right, with a second showing this coming Saturday.

It will also be showing at the Sydney Film Festival in about a month's time. No news of dates, times or cinemas yet. And Klaffi said today that details of "the UK premiere will be announced soon."

Comment

Freetime Machos

"Soon" in my parlance apparently being in the region of six weeks. This is probably my penultimate plug for the film (the last one should be for the DVD, some time in the autumn), which opens in the UK at the Edinburgh Film Festival this coming Friday.

Comment

Freetime Machos

I watched the film tonight, and enjoyed it tremendously. It is funny and touching. There is a scene where one of the guys, who clearly has unresolved issues about homosexuality, learns a teammate is gay. It could not have been scripted any better.

The anti-Nokia sentiments — the team plays in the city where Nokia retrenched employees after posting huge profits — are very effectively edited; powerful in their brevity. Fuck Nokia indeed.

I reckon most OTFers would enjoy the film, even without the added bonus of the Muukalainen association.

Comment

Freetime Machos

So, the DVD's out now and available from here. The film is still popping up quite frequently in various festivals: details can be found from the film's web page.

It seems that no-one's added up the exact audience figures, but the total number of people who paid (mostly reduced prices) to see it during a 4-5 week run was in the region of 2500. Who says there's money in film making.

Comment

Working...
                                                X