You, The Living (Du Levande)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an utterly superb film, a work of genius. In one sense it's simply a sequence of linked sketches, many of them very funny, but it has a tone that is all too rare in sketches, one that is perfectly balanced. There's none of the knowingness that generally infiltrates such material - it's all utterly and solemnly deadpan, carries true emotional resonance, and manages to be drolly humorous while at the same time being deeply, even existentially, sad.

And I haven't even mentioned the photography yet. And the use of colour. Every shot seems to have been obsessively composed as a work of art. It's brilliant. No wonder Andersson takes so long between films.

Ooh, I wrote about this on the other thread last week. I think it's amazing, a wonderful wonderful masterpiece. I agree with everything you just said.

Comment

I think the reason Andersson makes relatively few fims is because he's primarily a commercials director. Check out some of them at:

www.youtube.com/watch?V=7ofPRv29RMs&feature=related

(Apologies if this was previously posted) A lot of them are like deleted scenes from his films. And "the funniest commercial ever" is just that.

Comment

If the link doesn't work, try Googling "Youtube commercials by Roy Andersson". It's worth it!

Comment

Working...
        X