Men of a Certain Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Men of a Certain Age

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but this is arguably the best show on television at the moment.

Ray Romano (I know!), Andre Braugher, and Scott Bakula play three college buddies that have stayed friends as they hit middle age.

I only started watching this about halfway through the season (episode 5 of 10), and now it's already run its season finale (which I haven't seen yet).

You can catch it various places online, but you definitely want to see Episode 6 "Go with the Flow" which I'd rate as being one of the best single episodes of any series that I've seen in a long time.

I'm very impressed by Ray Romano in this so far, and he's also one of the creators and has also served as a writer for some episodes (I think). He's really so much better than Everbody Loves Raymond allowed.

Men of a Certain Age

I always liked him in 'ELR'. It probably wasn't over-exposed over here like in the US.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Yes, Everybody Loves Raymond was an excellent show, sniffed at a little by the comedic avant garde but unfairly. I'll certainly be checking this out, Matej, thanks for the pointer.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Yeah, what they said. I thought ELR was really good, and much underrated. I'll be checking this new one out too.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

I've always noticed that on here Raymond was liked much more from British posters than us Americans. I liked it, but the constant promotions of it and all of the awards just started annoying me after a while.

I hadn't watched any of this show, Matej, but with Andre Braugher you know I was intrigued.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

I think the beat Raymond to death in syndication, the same way they're doing Two and A Half Men now. It was really overexposed for a while.

I've never even heard of this new show you're talking about. It's like you're a whole other country instead of Canada's 11th province.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

It's on TNT, which produces a lot of original programming that I've never watched. Their shows are supposed to be okay (The Closer, Saving Grace, Leverage, Hawthorne), but don't have the critical acclaim that original dramas on other basic cable channels like FX or shows like Mad Men and Battlestar Galactica get.. But according to the Wikipedia entry for it, it's on something called Super Channel in your country, WOM.

I think a big part of the reason that I wasn't all that interested in this show was that the commercials showed Romano, Braugher, and Bakula laughing it up and hanging out, while talking about them being middle aged. It looked like a Flomax commercial.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

I'll give this a go on your recommendation, Matej. Despite Scott Bakula being in the 2 worst tv shows in history (Quantum Leap and Enterprise, for the record. He's like a sci-fi Robert Urich.)

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Two And A Half Men shouldn't be battered to death in syndication. It, and everyone involved in it, should be literally battered to death. It is down there with Home Improvement as the worst "comedy" I've ever seen.

ELR is OK.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Your verdict on Quantum Leap is classic hobbes, hobbes.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Everybody Loves Raymond is hardly underexposed in the UK, if you ever flick onto Channel 4 in the mornings instead of GMTV. It's been on for an hour every morning since about 2005. It is good, though, I'll give it that.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Airing a sitcom during breakfast/morning TV is almost a dictionary definition of under-exposed!

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Alan Sepinwall seemed to enjoy it:

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Etienne wrote:
                            It is down there with Home Improvement as the worst "comedy" I've ever seen.
                            I'm not a regular watcher/fan of 2.5M, but I think it's pretty dependable for some really good lines each show. I've heard this type of hatred for it before, but I'm not quite sure why.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

I've been watching Men of a Certain Age from the beginning, and it is just fantastic. It's probably even better if you're a guy, because it's probably fairly realistic about guys' lives, something I seem to know nothing about. I'm actually really jealous that there isn't a similar show about women of a certain age--if someone tries to imitate this, it'll probably end up devolving into too much discussion of shoe shopping.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Andre Braugher, you say? I'm sold. I like Scott Bakula too. Quantum Leap was great.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Your verdict on Quantum Leap is classic hobbes, hobbes
                                  Ah, come now. Quantum Leap was utter gash from start to finish and only made shitter by Bakula's mugging.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

It is down there with Home Improvement as the worst "comedy" I've ever seen.
                                    Oh, come on, that was a rash decision there and you knopw it. I will give you that it may be the worst US one but, in Britain, we pride ourselves on being able to produce oceans of shit that can easily beat it.

RAb C Nesbitt, Two pints of lager, My Family, I mean, I could go on.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:

I'm not a regular watcher/fan of 2.5M
                                      For some reason, I find that abbreviation almost unbearably offensive. It's right up there with MillStad. Is it commonly used?

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Oh. I don't know. I'd just typed Two And A Half Men already and didn't want to do it again. I suppose I could have copy/pasted it, but it didn't occur at the time. You know how it is. I shan't do it again though, I assure you.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Oh, that's OK. As long as it isn't part of some trend.

Comment

Men of a Certain Age

Regardless, out of respect for you, I won't participate.

Comment

Working...
                                            X