Percy Porcelain and the Lightning Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jolly good entertainment, this. Pierce Brosnan as a centaur, Sean Bean as Zeus and Uma Thurman as Medusa. What more does a movie need?

My girls loved it, and have probably picked up more background stuff about classical mythology (the whole thing is a loose aggregation of modern reworkings of various bits of the epics of Hercules, Theseus, Orpheus, you name it) than they'd ever have got from anywhere else.

And I just know EIM will want a pair of Hermes' lad's winged sneakers.

It could also be called:
    Percy Jackson and the Rowling script Thief
    My Big Fat Greek Rip-off
    Son of Poseidon Adventure
    Carry On Again Columbus

I'm unlikely to see this any time soon, but you have to wonder if Christopher Columbus is a tad bitter that he's not doing the Harry Potter films anymore. He seem to have gone out to find something very close to the plot of HP and tried to give it a more teenage twist.
    Steve Coogan as Hades sounds pretty preposterous, but Sean bean as Zeus is just laughable, What kind of Zeus would that be?
    "'appen I've a quest for thee Jason, lad. Find me t'golden fleece."

Comment

Steve Coogan as Hades was utterly preposterous, he really did go from being full-on CGI-style monstrous demon to, well, his "Saxondale" character, even doing that nasal sniff thing he does when saying something like "and so, you know, I've got to (sniff) plunge your world into eternal chaos!". Wearing leather trousers!

Every point you make above is spot on (aside from attributing any even fleeting pity for Ms Rowling for her stuff being 'plagiarised' - I mean, come off it) but I promise you, it's a jolly good wheeze for the two hours it lasted. Will be enjoyed (and was) by all and anyone with a mental age of between 6 and 12 (myself and my daughters included).

Comment

Working...
      X