Unlikely Career Highlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best thing Terry Scott ever did in his long career was the voice of Penfold in Danger Mouse. The riffing between Scott and David Jason is terrific in that show. So good that I could nearly -- but not quite -- forgive him for Terry & June.

Likewise, I reckon Windsor Davies's Sergeant Major Zero in Terrahawks is superior to his turn in It Ain't Half Hot Mum.

Any more examples of this? I'm not familiar with much of Peter Jones's work, but I'd be surprised if he'd done anything better than The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
    Any more examples of this?
    Richard Briers narrating Rhubarb & Custard.
    Arthur Lowe was brilliant narrating The Mr Men but it's stretch to call that his career highlight.

Comment

I think you missed the point of my post. Arthur Lowe and Richard Briers did lots of great work.

Windsor Davies did Never the Twain and Carry on Behind.

Comment

Very true.

Comment

The best thing Terry Scott ever did in his long career was the voice of Penfold in Danger Mouse.
          The best thing David Jason ever did in his long career was the voice of Danger Mouse.

Comment

Tom Hanks as Woody in Toy Story. He's effortlessly likeable in that film.

Comment

The best thing David Jason ever did in his long career was the voice of Danger Mouse.
              For me, it was Do Not Adjust Your Set. It's astonishing how unlike anything else that programme was at the time.

Comment

Billy Zane as the head demon in crappy guilty pleasure, Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight. A funny, sprightly comic performance with a dash of charm. Never done anything better since.

Comment

I like Billy Zane. He seems to have realised a long time ago that he'll never be a famous quality actor, so now seems to play every crappy role he's in with a smirk on his face as if to say "I know it's crap, you know it's crap. The director thinks it's 12 Angry Men, so let's laugh at him together."

Comment

He does have a certain - I'll use that word again - charm, but he gives the impression that he's missed the boat in terms of that big opportunity and just trundles along in lots of meaningless films, eroding whatever quality he had that made him watchable.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Sean Connery's career highlight is not the bizarre ad for Credit Agricole on which his mug appears in this week's issue of my newspaper.

Comment

It's a bit like this one, but he's saying: "It's time for a change".

Comment

Hmm. Sean Connery and Helvetica. Similar qualities: durable, direct, elegant when necessary, occasionally edgy, career paths follow the same trajectory and time period too. Good choice.

Comment

I think saying Dangermouse was better than A Touch of Frost is pushing things just a little bit. If you watch those again now, really, the theme tune was by far and away the best bit.

Comment

It's both a full page ad inside the paper and a strap stapled to the front and back covers. I was a bit disappointed not to find Christopher Lambert on the back.

Comment

Many years ago David Jason did a spoof secret agent comedy series. I've forgotten the title but I remember it as hysterical.

Arthur Lowe's finest has to be Captain Mainwaring. It can't really be anything else. One of the great comic performances of all time.

Comment

Hahahaha

Comment

Possibly not Sean Connery's career highlight:

Comment

I didn't know there was a new Borat movie coming out.......

Comment

Arthur Lowe's finest has to be Captain Mainwaring. It can't really be anything else. One of the great comic performances of all time.
                                        Yes, I'd agree. And the thing is that he gets very few of the laugh-out-loud lines ("Don't tell him, Pike!" being a fabulous exception), but is always there to be the brunt of jokes. And just his world-weariness and resignation to the uselessness of his platoon are wondrous things.

Comment

adams house cat wrote:
                                          Many years ago David Jason did a spoof secret agent comedy series. I've forgotten the title but I remember it as hysterical.
                                          Do you mean Nicholas Lyndhurst instead in 'The Piglet Files'?

Comment

I don't think so George. It was around in the mid 70s and ITV pulled to make room for 'Planet Of The Apes'.

Arthur Lowe is on a par with Ronnie Barker, Will Hay, Sid James and a very select few of others in the pantheon of great British comic actors.

Comment

Cary Grant?

Comment

I realise I'm using 'highlight' in somewhat loose terms here, but I'd suggest that Robson Green is presently at his zenith in the Extreme Fishing: World Tour series.

He is still massively irritating and some scenes are so excrutiating as to make them almost unwatchable, but somehow his enthusiasm and willingness to bare his emotions so visibly makes it quite watchable and entertaining (although I suspect you have to be an angler to warm to it/him at all).

Comment

Yes. Cary Grant. And Stan Laurel, Basil Radford, Naunton Wayne, Rowan Atkinson. Not, for me, Chaplin. I could never really get him. And Alistair Sim was great too.

As for the ladies - Hattie Jacques, Peggie Mount. I.m a bit out of touch for the newer generation.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X