A Prophet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Prophet

Coming in at 155 minutes you may think that this movie might feel like a 6 year stretch but actually it engages throughout and if there are longeurs then they simply reflect the tedium of what prison life must be like.

It's a good movie and in parts astonishingy violent. Yet there is also some good comedy in it - out of context, "Not a good day to be outside" isn't a spoiler but is one of the funniest lines in the movie.

The performances are all good and the central character, Malik is played really well. We see his journey from an 18 year old prison novice (he's obviously done juve time before) to a brutalised and brutal man and it's believable.

Is it "one of the greatest crime movies ever made"? Do you need it in your life? No to both questions. I've watched it for you. Next time you see me, say thanks for that gt3 and just buy me a drink.

A Prophet

So it's not as good as The Godfather, after all? I will never trust the critics again. But I am off to see this tomorrow, all the same.

Comment

A Prophet

I AGREE WITH GT3 ABOUT A FILM!

I actually did think it could have lost 30 minutes or so, but it is really well made. There are some great scenes; watching Malik attempt to secrete a razor blade in his cheek had me contorting my limbs like a particularly emotional Joe Cocker.

The taller claims made on its behalf are a bit silly, but you could probably all have guessed that.

Comment

A Prophet

The critical hype bemused me. The initial word from Cannes was that it was a good genre film but no one was going nuts about it. As the year went on advance word started to gain momentum culminating in being Sight and Sound's film of the year and lead to the most self-important trailer of all time. I guess it worked though because it's playing in multiplex's and getting an audience.

Despite my misgivings over the critical reception, I have to say that I loved it and was gripped by it all the way through. I wouldn't agree that it was too long, I felt it needed all the time to show the sense of gradual progression properly. Not quite sure that the foreshadowing visions worked as well as the portrayal of the grit and savagery of the world he inhabited.

Comment

A Prophet

Lucia, did you find that line funny too?

Comment

Working...
          X