Four Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four Lions

The Guardian website has a clip and it has me quite excited about seeing the whole film.

Four Lions

That clip made me laugh more than just about anything else I've seen in a long time, the last line is superb, can't wait to see the whole thing.

Comment

Four Lions

Yeah, that last line's the killer.

Comment

Four Lions

The last line is the killer, but I was still creasing up at "IRA voice" when it arrived.

I'm dead excited about this.

Comment

Four Lions

I'm hoping it's a lot better than that clip would suggest. It's a fairly lame, trad-com gag, drawn out too long.

Comment

Four Lions

Yeah, that clip didn't further stoke my excitement for the movie at all.

Comment

Four Lions

trad-com
              Not sure about that. It feels more like a post-Office "embarrassment" gag. You can imagine Mackenzie Crook being the fool there.

Comment

Four Lions

All it needs, after the Rodders/Baldrick/Stan Lauren/Joey dumbo archetype says "She's got a beard...", is a trombone going WAA-WAA-WAAAAAAA.

Comment

Four Lions

It works as naturalism though, I reckon, but only if the idea is firmly applied throughout the rest of the narrative. That the character is that thick thoughout the film, and not just when his thickness is required for the purposes of a joke.

Comment

Four Lions

That's a good joke, that. Not 'trad-com', really, is it? Absurdist, more like.

A shaggy beard story?

Comment

Four Lions

Hmm nothing to get too excited about from that short clip. As SR says, that gag is drawn out far too long. I was waiting for the killer line and it never came.

Comment

Four Lions

Well I laughed out loud.

Comment

Four Lions

We want it to be any good and to like it so much don't we?

Damn you Morris and Iannucci for setting the bar s ridiculously high in the 90s...

Comment

Four Lions

It's an Islamist version of The Pathetic Sharks, isn't it?

Comment

Four Lions

Or 'Citizen Smith'.

Comment

Four Lions

Dad's Army, surely?

Comment

Four Lions

Jihad's army?

Comment

Four Lions

"It's an Islamist version of The Pathetic Sharks, isn't it?"

And that's not even an original idea - Monkey Dust had their 'rubbish terrorists' sketch in all 3 series.

I won't be watching this but I've never really got Chris Morris, even though I really like Steve Coogan and Armando Ianucci.

Comment

Four Lions

So because a similar idea has been done once before in the last 10 years on a fairly unknown, cult TV show (and for the record I say that as someone who loved Monkey Dust), Chris Morris shouldn't bother?

Not sure the film industry has ever been that bothered about originality anyway.

Comment

Four Lions

Yes Trat, you're right to call me on this. I merely wanted to point out it had been done before and the slightly scathing tone was chucked in as an afterthought.

Comment

Four Lions

I'm pretty sure Morris was involved in Monkey Dust at some stage, although you can swivel if you expect me to back that up with any facts.

Comment

Four Lions

The_Liquidator wrote:
                                            I'm pretty sure Morris was involved in Monkey Dust at some stage, although you can swivel if you expect me to back that up with any facts.
                                            I thought that too but did a bit of googling and could find no evidence for it.

Comment

Four Lions

Official trailer released now. Much more promising after that initial clip.

Comment

Four Lions

I saw a preview of Four Lions last night and I thought it was excellent. It's had mixed reviews so far, though, and the three people I was with (all journalists) were a lot more lukewarm about it than I was. I think some people are disappointed that Morris has made the film he wanted to make, and hasn't made the film they wanted him to make. Anyway, I won't say much more, because I'll be writing a full review for The Quietus in due course, but it is funny and you will laugh.

Comment

Four Lions

I was off to see this at the Bradford Film Festival next Thursday (of all places), found out my mate disn't get tickets in time. Bollocks.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X