I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man, that’s horrific! It’s also given me some kind of mindworm of a Tommy Steele film where he plays a toy soldier in a department store who’s broken and meant to go to the toy knacker’s yard (somehow that seems wrong) but proves his bravery in a battle and wins the heart of a doll. Whatever am I on about?

Comment

That Smyths scrappage scheme seems to be a way to get customers thinking they're getting great deals when the 'discounted' toys are the same price as Tesco's.

Comment

Is Danni a racist?
        2002, GQ magazine interview where she praised Le Pen and decried areas of Australian cities where 'even the street signs are in Asian.'

Lots of denials and PR whitewashing followed (especially after the BNP put her comments on their site) but it was noticeable she sued the BNP and not GQ (ie she didn't ever deny saying the shit in the 1st place).

Comment

A different kind of ad, but...

Last week, on my Facebook page, one of the ads down the side was for the Lib Dems. I removed it, citing it as "offensive". Heh!

Comment

I see that arch gobshite Lovejoy in an advert for some pasta or other, and yes he's every inch the arsehole in that as well.

Comment

Right... these new ads on here for that Jackass film - which spontaneously expand across half the messageboard - are really bloody annoying!

Comment

I must admit I've seen that tim lovejoy ad for pasta countless times and in all the times I've watched it, I've never noticed lovejoy. Nor can I remember the name of the pasta.

Comment

Cavalry Trouser Tips wrote:
                  Sean of the Shed wrote:
                  Yeo Valley is my favourite ad right now. I'll probably be sick of it in a couple of weeks, but right now it's fucking awesome.

Yo, I'm rollin' in me Massey on a summer's day,
                  Chuggin' cold milk while I'm balin' hay
                  Apparently, it's been done before.

...and before.
                  All are variants on this piece of utter, utter, genius.

I'm liking this ad a great deal at the moment.

Comment

I cant find the one I am looking for, so will type it:

group of 'black' guys, 'hanging' around a boom box, which is giving out some serious NWA.

cut to, a souped up car, which has just come on the scene, parks, and starts bouncing up and down with the things that lifts your car.

Guys on the corner, stop, watch the car bouncing.

Cut to guys IN the car opening their window, revealing two white teenagers, with a MASSIVE tune in the background, playing '[strike]London Nights[/strike] Requiem' (implicating gay), and body popping to the music (with absolutely no irony).

Cut back to black guys, who look puzzled.

Then the finale: Do you need extra insurance?

(I swear on my IQ that I saw this advert in Amsterdam... I just cant find it on YOUTUBE.)

I hope I wasnt offensive in my description, but I think the advertisers were looking for stereotypes, so I just typed what I could remember. First (and second and 17th) time I saw this, I laughed my arse off.

THAT tune, but the chorus at 1:01... now you have it.

Comment

If anyone can find this advert and prove that I am not delusional (that, and 'Vrijdag is Bloemendag'), I will love, unconditionally... or just cook a meal for them. Same thing really.

Comment

Jedward. Nintendo ad. Scarred.

Comment

Ferrero Rocher's delusions of grandeur move up a gear. Once the territory of Ambassadors and their guests, they are now apparently fit for the gods themselves.

I actually laughed out loud when I first saw that.

Comment

Jason Donovan. Iceland ad. Scarred.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                              Jedward. Nintendo ad. Scarred.
                              Absolutely everyone seems to be doing Nintendo ads, harry Kewell and wife, Leyton Orient, and then there's this one. I wouldn't be playing Nintendo DS if I had Alexandra Burke sat next to me dressed like that, I'd be playing some kind of joystick game.

Comment

I've usually got quite a high tolerance level for bad advertising but those Patrick McGuinness ads. for, and with, Victor Chandler are toe-curlingly awful.

Comment

Almost all of the Windows 7 adverts are unbearable. Particular mentions to the teenager on holiday in Spain, and the ginger-haired 'to the cloud' kid. It's like they went out their way to find people with really smug, punchable faces.

But this Ralph Lauren one takes some beating.

Comment

Almost any perfume/body lotion/mens' toiletries ad ever made these days wants to be hated en masse, due to either a stunning lack of humour or a powerfully inflated sense of importance or hyped-up sophistication.

Stare enigmatically all you want for Hugo Boss, Ryan Reynolds, you still look a twat.

Comment

The latest series of Boots adverts. Contemptible misandrist shite.

Comment

A very quick update to thread, to point out that the original ad which started this whole thing off is being recycled this year. Thomas Cook think we want to see it again!

Comment

SamLKelly wrote:
                                          A very quick update to thread, to point out that the original ad which started this whole thing off is being recycled this year. Thomas Cook think we want to see it again!
                                          Seen it last night. Couldn't remember seeing it last year but it is fucking awful - Thomas Cook seem to be peddling their shonky packages by inferring that the populace at large want to do the same things and go the same places as two of the most annoying cunts known to man.

Comment

blameless wrote:
                                            The latest series of Boots adverts. Contemptible misandrist shite.
                                            Look again.

It doesn't do either sex any favours, but the women are lower status than the men; the men are able to lie in bed whilst the women conscientiously and doggedly do all the boring work.

This type of advert, and much crap Battle-of-the-sexes type comedy e.g. Men Behaving etc., which seem to show women as so much more sensible than daft men, actually support traditional roles which are more limiting and damaging to women than men; little girls are still recruited as "little helpers" and bought toy cookers, typewriters and vacuum cleaners, FFS.

Women are cast in the role of organisers, which is essentially a support role. Men are seem as the creative ones, the dreamers, more fun, and funnier... Dreaming, playing, self indulgence, mucking around, are encouraged more in the male sex, and I think this contributes in the bias to "male genius".

Comment

Men are seem as the creative ones, the dreamers, more fun, and funnier... Dreaming, playing, self indulgence, mucking around, are encouraged more in the male sex, and I think this contributes in the bias to "male genius".

Perhaps elsewhere in adverts/TV/cinema, but in the Boots adverts, men are either useless lazy hypochondriacs or stubborn cretins who'd rather wander about blind than admit they need glasses.

I'll be buying my toiletries elsewhere from now on.

Comment

blameless wrote:
                                                I'll be buying my toiletries elsewhere from now on.
                                                Or getting a nice grown-up lady to buy them for you ...

Comment

I love the way that girl with the huge, hidden stash of Galaxy is stick thin, and they are at pains to point out that she does have loads of friends, actually, they just happen to be out.

Comment

She must just exercise a hell of a lot. *winky smiley*

Comment

Working...
                                                    X