I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrew7610
    I'd never noticed the following until my wife pointed it out the other day, and now I can't unsee it and I shall pass the same onto you...

All those toothpaste adverts where they're interviewing a dentist in the surgery - hold the fucking camera still will you?

Example here.

It's not just Sensodyne (a GSK brand) but Oral B (Proctor & Gamble) does it too, and probably others.
    Apologies for the delay in finding this post Andrew, but yes I introduced the parlour game of Sloping Dentists to the OTF community a few pages back, sometime in July:
    Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    Speaking of oral hygiene, one (very rare) outbreak of light relief that I get from adverts is the phenomenon I've christened Sloping Dentists. And no, I can't unsee it either.

I believe it's only Sensodyne that use these, but they always use them. You can tell a Sensodyne commercial a mile off, because the smiling white-coated figure appearing to talk about your mouth will invariably appear tilted at a 15- to 30-degree angle.

It seems to be some weird visual grammar meant to denote "this is authentic, unvarnished testimony, which you can therefore trust – because the filming is authentically off-kilter and a bit shaky, just like some real person filmed it themselves". Whereas to me it's just clearly artifice, not least because any amateur who found themselves filming on such a bad angle would stop and straighten the lens up then try again, so it's really distracting. But on the bright side, due to how over the last however many years since I started noticing this I can't help but shout "Sloping Dentist!" whenever one of their ads appears on screen, the likes of my mother and brother can no longer unsee it either* – so it's turned into something of a family parlour game.
    (*I don't believe I'm related to your wife, but please pass on my regards and sympathies as a fellow sufferer. Believe me, turning it into an imaginary points-scoring exercise will do wonders for your sanity.)

Sensodyne ads are a guaranteed source of points, but my brother told me a couple of days ago he'd seen one in an Oral B advert too so (going on your comment as well) this is a promising avenue for future scoring purposes.
    Last edited by Various Artist; 19-10-2020, 22:45.

Comment

I'd love to know the opening lines rejected by the makers of a funeral plan advert, given that they ended up using "We've got more parsnips than we know what to do with"

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
        McDonald's seem to have gone crazy for those 'heartwarming' family ads these past few years. The latest features a teenager who proudly drives his mom's old banger, despite incurring the ridicule of his friends. And then gives mom a McMuffin, or whatever.

Playing her Westlife CD (assuming that's who it is) rather kills the premise, however. For all kinds of reasons.
        I just saw this. What with his mates ripping the piss that he's driving his mum's car - despite the fact they're the ones walking - surely TLC's No Scrubs should have been the soundtrack.

Comment

This. " He's driving his mum's car " at least I have a car you wankers.

Comment

I’m sure that’s partially the point.

I guess, on reflection, choosing Westlife was to up the ‘naff’ ante.

Comment

How is snus legal to advertise in the UK? Isn't there evidence linking it to gum cancer?

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                The wording is something like
                "...we wear with pride, to give thanks to those who died"
                Which I found crass.
                They could have said
                "...we wear with pride, to give thanks to those who flied"
                as tribute to the spitfire pilots.

Alternatively
                ...those who spied - secret agents
                ...those who ride - cavalry
                ...those who hide - snipers
                ...those who eyed - lookouts
                ...those who fried - army chefs

Comment

I think I’d have choked on my tea had they gone with ‘...those who flied’.

Comment

Gant are really going after the hipster market, aren't they? The only way they could be less subtle about it would be to have all their models sitting in Starbucks with their flat whites while a giant vat of moustache wax gets dumped outside.

Comment

My smart TV in our bedroom isn't linked to any YouTube account, so the ad algorithms can only feed off what I watch on the brief time I watch, which is basically EV/clean tech stuff and NFL highlights . The adverts are normally fairly predictable as a result but lately, and I assume it's generic Christmas fodder, I have been getting an ad for a unicorn toy that comes in one of those "peel away the eggshell to reveal the contents" throwaway packaging horror shows that seem to appeal to little girls of a certain age.

I'm not buying one, though. Take that, disposable consumerism!

Comment

I see that there's yet another Brexit 'commercial' at a cost of hundreds of thousands. In contrast to the previous efforts, at least this one has all of the characters therein looking completely traumatised by the whole pathetic shambles.

So in that respect it's almost acceptable.

But not quite.

Comment

I had an email from John Lewis that seemed to be suggesting that their new advert shows us the real meaning of Christmas, from what my eye fell on before I could hit delete.

Has the mawkish smug fest (I speculate, but you know...) been released into general circulation yet?

Comment

Both the Beeb and the Graun have treated this advert as news. Fucking ridiculous.

Comment

I'm A Celebrity started tonight, so every single Christmas advert was on. They were all very similar, and all shit. Sainsbury's was the worst.

John Lewis have got some balls, running an advert with a "give a little love" strapline when they've made 3,000 of their "partners" redundant this year.

The Amazon ads are annoying. I would dispute that "everyone loves Christmas Claire". She seems a bit annoying to me. Same with Christmas Lisa, who mistakenly thinks being good at wrapping presents is a personality trait.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                I'm A Celebrity started tonight, so every single Christmas advert was on. They were all very similar, and all shit. Sainsbury's was the worst.
                                We watched it an had the same reaction - my daughter (17) was tutting through each one and saying she'd prefer it if they just put adverts on which showed how brilliant it is getting presents. I observed that the adverts showing large families sat round the table together for Christmas dinner are looking a bit optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                  How about "Don't be a ploppy, wear a poppy!"?

That would get the kids wearing them - no one wants to be called a ploppy - and then that's the next generation hooked.
                                  You are Barbara Windsor and I claim my King's shilling

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                    I had an email from John Lewis that seemed to be suggesting that their new advert shows us the real meaning of Christmas, from what my eye fell on before I could hit delete.

Has the mawkish smug fest (I speculate, but you know...) been released into general circulation yet?
                                    Do they still refer to the different cadres of their staff as "officer class" and "rank and file"?

Comment

More of a traumatic press release but:

PSA Retail France becomes phygital
                                      By which they mean you can use their website on a Sunday.

Comment

One of the marketing gurus pushing that concept is called Mobiquity

Comment

Can someone please tell Idris Elba that he can't fucking sing.

Comment

I'm watching a stream of the Washington-Cowboys game and it's a Georgia feed of Fox Sports.

Some of these political ads are mental. The last two I saw, in the first one David Perdue is worse than the devil, in the next one only he can save America (I know nothing of David Perdue btw).

Comment

Those mince pies have never come straight out of an oven. Even if they looked like they had you'd never dredge with icing sugar immediately.

Comment

Liking the little girl on the NatWest ad - very natural and engaging.

Her dad, though. Just let her keep the quid, you tight ghet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                  More of a traumatic press release but:

By which they mean you can use their website on a Sunday.
                                                  Hang on, hang on. There are websites you can't use on a Sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

Hang on, hang on. There are websites you can't use on a Sunday?
                                                    I just looked up up the Presbyterian Free Church of Scotland's website, to see whether it closes for business on Sundays. The first item on their home page calendar, which made me LOL, is:

9 Dec - Day of Humiliation and Prayer
                                                    We all need something to keep us going through the dark winter months.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X