I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

when someone clumsy fucker coming back from the bar with four pints pours half of one of them down the back of his neck.
    A few years ago at a Specials concert some twat did that to me as he was coming through the crowd carrying four pints held above head height in those squashy glasses more suited to bringing a goldfish home from a funfair. Almost without thinking I poured a similar amount from the drink I was holding down the back of his neck. It was possibly the closest I've come to having an actual fight in my adult life but was definitely worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
      Does anyone here use the premium version of YouTube to eliminate the ads?
      I would normally just use an adblocker but that's not an option with a Roku.

Comment

Sloping dentist!

Comment

The ads I find jarring when I'm in the UK are the gambling ones. I can't say that I remember any of the others, so the rest probably just wash over me.
          I might ask the kids later to see if they have any thoughts on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
            Stella still do the odd ones, along with Kronenbourg (Cantona still in their ads).
            I maintain that Cantona's look to camera 12 seconds in is the finest piece of acting ever. Yes, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QENzkzKshpQ

Comment

ha ha, I love that ad, thanks HO.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                Does anyone here use the premium version of YouTube to eliminate the ads?
                Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                  I don't watch much TV, and very little on commercial channels at all, but the one inescapable bit of alcohol advertising I run across is the ident (or whatever they're called) bits for Trivento that come before and after each ad break on Quest, when I'm watching something like Salvage Hunters. They're abstract enough that it took me aeons to work out what wares they were actually hawking – not least because the name is a lot like (the equally random-sounding) Trivago, the hotel-comparison thing. Apparently though it's "the UK's leading Argentinian wine brand".
                  In full lockdown times I took a punt on their Malbec from the corner shop and can report that it was perfectly drinkable and acceptable, for 6.99

Comment

McDonald's seem to have gone crazy for those 'heartwarming' family ads these past few years. The latest features a teenager who proudly drives his mom's old banger, despite incurring the ridicule of his friends. And then gives mom a McMuffin, or whatever.

Playing her Westlife CD (assuming that's who it is) rather kills the premise, however. For all kinds of reasons.

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                    I maintain that Cantona's look to camera 12 seconds in is the finest piece of acting ever. Yes, ever.
                    Not sure I'd go that far - although I'm sure EIM would. From memory, Jordan Henderson mugged quite well in that Liverpool ad where they're all in a car racing around a multi-storey car park. (Forget what it was for.)
                    Last edited by Jah Womble; 15-10-2020, 09:07.

Comment

A while back there was a discussion that the Boo Radleys had never licensed Wake up Boo to an advertiser. Well now they have. For a blinds company.

Comment

The Cadbury's DarkMilk ads with Kim Wilde and Jason Donovan going "remember me from the 80s?".

No-one remembers Gambit from the 80s, which was basically the same thing as DarkMilk and completely tanked.

Comment

Indeed, here's a Gambit commercial that looks like a slightly acid-addled episode of Mr Benn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjyiXpdYibI

Suffice to say that I don't think the advertising helped the product any.

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                          A while back there was a discussion that the Boo Radleys had never licensed Wake up Boo to an advertiser. Well now they have. For a blinds company.
                          It was used shedloads for things like breakfast radio/TV competitions, IIRC. (GMTV definitely used it - as a loop, that conveniently avoided the line 'for what could be the very last time'.)

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                            The Cadbury's DarkMilk ads with Kim Wilde and Jason Donovan going "remember me from the 80s?".

No-one remembers Gambit from the 80s, which was basically the same thing as DarkMilk and completely tanked.
                            That's weird, alright. Count me as one who doesn't remember Gambit. It probably never made it over here, except when older brothers brought it back from away trips to Manchester and Liverpool.

Comment

Certainly didn't make it across the larger body of water.

Those really were done by Folon, they aren't just knockoffs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Michel_Folon

Comment

I vaguely remember Gambit existing. Don't recall having one.

There must be a website out there that chronicles failed confectionary ranges.

Comment

The British Legion have a truly horrendous poem in this year's Covid-tinged, union flag heavy, poppy appeal advert.

It rhymes "pride" with "died", and then "care" with "errs". Woeful, if I hadn't stopped wearing a poppy years ago I would have stopped this year.

Comment

Who exactly are the Legion supporting these days? Almost all the elderly veterans have passed on and the numbers who've served in recent conflicts aren't that many.

Comment

Yeah, but if you don't buy a poppy you're a wrong 'un...

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        Who exactly are the Legion supporting these days? Almost all the elderly veterans have passed on and the numbers who've served in recent conflicts aren't that many.
                                        I think they've recognised that turn of events by the fact their website keeps mentioning "families and dependants" now.

Comment

Something charities never like to talk about is the degree to which they are in competition with each other. The veterans sector is quite thickly populated. Anything the British Legion does is as much about rebuffing the attempts of Help For Heroes and others to knock them off their perch as anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                            The British Legion have a truly horrendous poem in this year's Covid-tinged, union flag heavy, poppy appeal advert.

It rhymes "pride" with "died", and then "care" with "errs". Woeful, if I hadn't stopped wearing a poppy years ago I would have stopped this year.
                                            While "care" and "errs" is unforgivable, I'm not sure what crazy Northern accent you're using to NOT make "pride" rhyme with "died".

Comment

I suspect it's more the fact that they've used it at all.

Comment

How about "Don't be a ploppy, wear a poppy!"?

That would get the kids wearing them - no one wants to be called a ploppy - and then that's the next generation hooked.

Comment

The wording is something like
                                                  "...we wear with pride, to give thanks to those who died"
                                                  Which I found crass.

Comment

It's not only crass, it doesn't even bloody scan properly.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X