I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post
    It's big, big money for not a whole lot of work.
    If it exceeded 500k, I'd be surprised.

I mean, yes, that's a lot of dough, but we 'are' talking de Niro here - which clearly needs to take into account both the 'loose change'-aspect and his reputation.

Comment

If reports here are to be believed, his ancillary businesses have been bleeding tens of millions for a while and have been absolutely destroyed by the pandemic.

He seems to be very highly leveraged and not at all liquid.

Comment

Well, that might explain it to an extent, yes.

Comment

Jalopnik did a piece about a week ago on big stars that did car commercials - usually in Japan. It's not a big mystery: you make a piss-pot of money for a day's work with a nice trip thrown in to boot. There's really no downside or brand-damage to consider. And you can't dismiss the flattery of being courted for the gig.

Comment

The early eighties Madness adverts for Honda appeared on their singles' video collection tape.

Comment

I have Googled "sloping dentists" but it didn't help. In my efforts to win I am going to look to see if I have any food channels on my Freeview, than watch them during Pudding Hour.

Edit: that related to the sloping dentists thing from a page ago. Which you can probably tell anyway. I'm pissed, I need to go to the pub.

Comment

Surely if you’re pissed, the last place you need to go is the pub?

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                Jalopnik did a piece about a week ago on big stars that did car commercials - usually in Japan. It's not a big mystery: you make a piss-pot of money for a day's work with a nice trip thrown in to boot. There's really no downside or brand-damage to consider. And you can't dismiss the flattery of being courted for the gig.
                That’s as maybe, but any dodgy commercial a major star makes in Japan is likely to stay there. I’m not sure whether the same can be said about the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  Surely if you’re pissed, the last place you need to go is the pub?
                  Cheap drinks alone at home; a couple or so more expensive pints down the boozer with mates and conversation.

Comment

Yeah that De Niro ad is basically just a shit pun with Robert used as a cheap prop. At least they didn't insist on him saying his line from Taxi Driver.

Comment

I wonder if the unknown actor who plays the director lists working with Robert De Niro on his acting CV?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                        any dodgy commercial a major star makes in Japan is likely to stay there.
                        Has that ever really been true? Shows like Clive James on TV and Carrott's Commercial Breakdown were dragging them out decades ago, and you can find pretty much all of them on YouTube.

Comment

The ads with Darren Gough and Shane Warne for Advanced Hair Studio bring a new meaning to the phrase "wooden acting".

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                            Has that ever really been true? Shows like Clive James on TV and Carrott's Commercial Breakdown were dragging them out decades ago, and you can find pretty much all of them on YouTube.
                            Those shows were on, what, thirty years ago? My point was that Japanese commercials aren’t really visible in the way that de Niro’s are - ie, every bloody ad break here. I’m sure that ‘that’ (apart from the wedge, obviously) is a big part of the appeal for yer major names that make them.

Comment

I see what you mean but I was referring to this strange naivety that they seem to have about "oh, no-one will ever see them outside Japan, so it's OK that I strip myself of every last bit of dignity I have", whereas some underpaid researcher with a satellite dish the size of an Olympic swimming pool is getting all these on tape ASAP in the hope that a few million people may find them vaguely amusing.

Comment

Isn't the opening premise of Lost In Translation that Bill Murray's character is off doing one of these commercials for a Japanese whisk(e)y? So it's lucrative, 'out of sight' so doesn't really matter how he comes off doing it (and his star is fading regardless back in the US so what the heck) but fundamentally soul-destroying and part of a more general dislocation he's experiencing – thus setting him up for encountering Scarlett Johansson's character and all that goes along with that.

Comment

I can't find Kenny Dalglish's japanese whisky ad anywhere. Only articles referring to long dead videos. It was glorious.

Comment

I watched a pre-release cut of Lost in Translation and thought it was boring dire bollocks. The way other people talk about it I think the film must have been heavily edited in the few weeks before it went on cinema release. Either that or people really love boring dire bollocks.

Comment

Other people seem to have a deep love for Bill Murray basically acting as himself in every movie he does. Oh look, he's doing something funny but he looks miserable, how hilarious! Leaves me totally cold.

And Lost in Translation was utterly dire, don't think I made it past halfway through.

Comment

It's a schtick that only works when other funnier people are around him and he's forced to raise his game a bit. Therefore it can't work in serious roles at all.

Comment

We both greatly enjoyed Lost In Translation.

Comment

Going back to musicians holding out against adverts, Martin Carr is still getting offers and refusing to licence 'Wake Up Boo!'

Comment

Wasn't that hijacked shedloads of times around the time of its release?

Can certainly remember This Morning using it (in edited loop version) for one of their competitions. Possibly without Carr's permission, I guess.

Comment

He could have earned six-figure sums, had he allowed Wake Up Boo! to be used to advertise a breakfast cereal, a washing powder - "anything to do with getting up in the morning." Carr wasn't interested. "I could never do it," he says. "You would get the money, spend it, and then for the rest of your life you would be known as the bloke who did the music for the Cornflakes ad."

https://www.theguardian.com/friday_r...349977,00.html

Although this is an old interview, I'm pretty sure it still applies.

Comment

Has Paul McCartney ever sold his music for ads?

Comment

The Beatles have, for sure. Do you mean his solo stuff specifically?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X