No announcement yet.

I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Wallace & Gromit short of money or something? They popped up over Christmas advertising the DFS sale.

Comment

Yeah, I was mildly surprised after W&G appeared that the ad turned out to be for DFS.

By explaining that your bargain sale sofa is made to order, the ad rather draws attention to the rackety nature of DFS's pricing and marketing.

Comment

Spotify adverts again. One for Uber Eats where a woman hyperventilates and then faints because her Chicken McNuggets have arrived. Jesus wept!

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
          Spotify adverts again.
          I just seem to get the ones where it advertises itself. Makes Spotify come off as insecure.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
            Are Wallace & Gromit short of money or something? They popped up over Christmas advertising the DFS sale.
            Was just coming on here to express dismay about this

Comment

There's a new advert for lazy person's toy Alexa. In it, a woman wakes at 4 in the morning to find her daughter kicking a ball against the wall. Unlike any normal person who would tell her to come in and go to bed, she gets Alexa to turn on the outside light. This is portrayed as admirable behaviour, though I doubt if their neighbours would agree.

Comment

Yeah, that had me asking a lot of questions too.

Fairly basic questions about parenting that clearly never entered the ad-makers’ minds.

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                Spotify adverts again. One for Uber Eats where a woman hyperventilates and then faints because her Chicken McNuggets have arrived. Jesus wept!
                There’s something both very British and deeply depressing about an adult using a delivery app to buy something as banal, beige and anally-retentive as chicken nuggets.

Comment

Just seen a bizarre advert encouraging children to eat more vegetables. It makes out that vegetables are an invading force that needs to be eaten - the tag line is "Eat them to defeat them". It reminds me of some of the adverts in Starship Troopers.

Comment

I suppose it's one way of taking "here comes the aeroplane" to the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                      There's a new advert for lazy person's toy Alexa. In it, a woman wakes at 4 in the morning to find her daughter kicking a ball against the wall. Unlike any normal person who would tell her to come in and go to bed, she gets Alexa to turn on the outside light. This is portrayed as admirable behaviour, though I doubt if their neighbours would agree.
                      Just seen this today. The daughter comes over as a moody brat too, so it's a bit of a strange one.

Comment

Savills have a new ad in which a cosy middle-aged couple have a conversation with their dream house. On a beach. And end up "proposing" to it. All that came to mind was Vyv's "Good Life" diatribe, which I'm sure was not the agency's intention.

NO, NO, NO, NO! WE ARE NOT WATCHING THE BLOODY GOOD LIFE! BLOODY, BLOODY, BLOODY! I HATE IT! IT'S SO BLOODY NICE! FELICITY "TREACLE" KENDALL, AND RICHARD "SUGAR FLAVOURED SNOT" BRIERS! WHAT DO THEY DO KNOW? CHOCOLATE BLOODY BUTTON ADS, THAT'S WHAT! THEY'RE NOTHING BUT A COUPLE OF REACTIONARY STEREOTYPES, CONFIRMING THE MYTH THAT EVERYONE IN BRITAIN IS A LOVABLE MIDDLE CLASS ECCENTRIC, AND I! HATE! THEM!

Comment

James Bond (Daniel Craig in character) is selling alcohol-free Heineken on Spanish-language television here

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            James Bond (Daniel Craig in character) is selling alcohol-free Heineken on Spanish-language television here
                            Is it completely alcohol free or 0.07% ?

Comment

I saw that ad here too in Britain yesterday. Was a bit of a double-take for sure.

Comment

Every Covid advert is the same. And nauseating. (And also completely negating the point when I want escapist TV so I forget).

Comment

The UK ads I see are also all the same, but different from the US ones.

Comment

The UK are all about the Zoom

Comment

New ad for Surf washing powder, telling us that dirt is " Perf for Surf " , I've seen it once, I hate it forever.

Comment

I would be interested in WOM's professional opinion as to how this happened

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1263567759834841090

Comment

Huh....ask Mrs WOM, whose ear I bent for about 45 minutes yesterday about this.

It boggles the mind. In 23 years, I've worked on Ford, Mercedes, VW, Hyundai and FCA. I know, in no uncertain terms, how many people 'touch' an ad before it gets unleashed on the public. The briefs, the internal brainstorming, the internal presentations, the client presentations (low level and high level), the legal scrutineering, the actual production and the deployment. All the people who saw this and either said nothing, or said something and were roundly ignored or dismissed. And yet...it got out there.

So what are our options? It was corporately sanctioned? It was produced in one of the 'colonies' and nobody there thought about the racial / cultural implications? Someone went rogue? It's corporate sabotage? It was some little shop doing a viral ad and it got release by accident?

I have nothing but guesses.

[Okay, so I just read that it was probably produced in Buenos Aires, which would have been one of my two bets. Dodgy AF stuff comes out of South America frequently.]

Comment

Having done some more reading, it's undeniable that its racism was intentional. Beyond the 'get away from the car, black man' theme, there's the 'colonist' restaurant, but also what is interpreted to be the 'white power' hand sign* as he's flicked inside, and the way the letters fade out at the end to that NEGER is clearly visible. That was no accident. Good lord. May everyone who was at every meeting lose their job, and then the agency lose the account.

*I'm 50/50 on this one.

Comment

Thanks much

Comment

Necessary as feminine sanitary ads may be, the current Loose Women pastiche is rather cringeworthy.

Comment

The Virgin Media advert with loads of sickeningly cute kids singing "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" is perhaps the most vomit inducing thing on TV right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                                    The Virgin Media advert with loads of sickeningly cute kids singing "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" is perhaps the most vomit inducing thing on TV right now.
                                                    + 1

Comment

Working...
                                                    X