No announcement yet.

I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep getting a pop up ad on my phone for some recruitment company with the tag line
    How did Holmes hire Watson?
    ELEMENTARY
    Holmes didn't hire Watson you useless dickwads, they were introduced by a mutual friend when the two of them were looking for accommodation to share, Watson was an ex military doctor who later became a GP.
    If you can't get the basic facts of one of the most popular series of books in history right, why should anyone use you?

Comment

P&O Cruises are currently running an ad in the UK where the music used is "Mess Around" by Ray Charles.

That'll be the song famously featured in Planes, Trains & Automomiles, a film noteworthy for having no boats whatsoever in it, then?

Comment

The latest Verizon advert has a bearded, be-trilby'ed wanker, talking about how Verizon got him tickets for the Justin Timberlake concert, where he was literally 10 feet from Justin, "who looked straight into my camera".

And hopefully set fucking security on you, you complete BELLEND.

Comment

McDonalds currently have an ad on the radio boasting about having massively reduced saturated fats in cooking oil. In the small print at the end it reveals that this was from 1997-2010. Twats.

Comment

I'd not imagine that McD's were doing anything of the sort twenty-two years ago. I mean, they're only doing it now because they have to.

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
            The latest Verizon advert has a bearded, be-trilby'ed wanker, talking about how Verizon got him tickets for the Justin Timberlake concert, where he was literally 10 feet from Justin, "who looked straight into my camera".
            This is the age of the easily-pleased. In every sense.

Comment

Simon Cowell scary new plastic face shilling for Barclaycard. Fucking horrific.

Comment

Just found an entire YouTube channel dedicated to this type of thing. Not for the faint of heart.

Comment

There's an advert for Pandora charm bracelets on at the moment in which the narrator explains how her best friend has been great during her pregnancy. It's very syrupy but at one point the thankful new mum says that her pal is the "sister that I should have had". That line lends itself to all kinds of emotionally harrowing extrapolations, pain that even a new bracelet charm can't heal.

Comment

Ha. I noticed that ad particularly as my sister asked me if I would like something special for my birthday, like a Pandora bracelet. (The answer is no, I want a Vivienne Westwood bracelet, please.)

It's a bit weird and intense for an ad, IMO. It's a bracelet, not a kidney.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                      Simon Cowell scary new plastic face shilling for Barclaycard. Fucking horrific.
                      I've never looked at him the same way since he was called up on stage for something and I noticed he wears 'wee man' boots.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

I've never looked at him the same way since he was called up on stage for something and I noticed he wears 'wee man' boots.
                        Officially known over here as Bono boots.

Comment

Oh, shit. I didn't know that about Bono. I've just seen all the pics. That's glorious.

Comment

The new Burger King ads are infuriating - apparently people don't say Whopper?!?!

Also, in the one that's just been on, the customer asks for a cheeseburger, is then taken outside and told not to come back. Sounds a bit counter-productive to me,

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                              The new Burger King ads are infuriating - apparently people don't say Whopper?!?!
                              I say "too much limp salad making it taste of water".

Comment

Pandora is one of the great marketing triumphs of recent years. You can buy the raw pieces and pre-made charms that they use for about £2.50.

Comment

Definitely. Someone in retail once explained the cinema popcorn like margins on Tiffany's silver trinkets to me but they are a slightly different proposition in having history and a fine jewellery business to sprinkle a little stardust onto the lower end stuff.

Comment

The idea of sticking a velvet rope outside and projecting the image of queues of people constantly trying to get in was the work of an evil genius.

Comment

The mass market jewelry industry is an absolute cesspit

The sworn statements, when read from beginning to end, are shocking, first for the consistency of horrors across cities and regions. Then for the egregiousness and audacity of the abuse they detail. But as you make your way through the declarations — to that of a woman in Missouri who, upon finding her store manager with his penis exposed, was asked if she wanted to join in, or another woman, whose manager felt her up while her boyfriend, also a Sterling employee, was facing another direction — they become shocking simply for their volume. When you finally get to the end — Tammy Zenner, who was called Texas Tammy by her colleagues because of the size of her breasts and who complained to her store manager that an executive visiting the store had rubbed himself against her from behind but was told when she complained that she should be flattered — another wave of shock hits you. Hot-tub orgies? At the company that has so profoundly contributed to our notions of gauzy romance and surprise Valentine’s gifts and new and abundant ways to show a woman how she is treasured?

Comment

No father around in that Pandora ad. Perhaps he ran off with her sister, hence the opening for her friend to become birthing partner and sister she should have had.

Comment

Makes Gerald Ratner's admission that they sold “absolute crap” almost tame in comparison.

Comment

Hi. Did I miss anything? (That jewellery thing is outrageous.)

Two things that have ... anyway, you probably need to know about US commercials.

First, if I haven't mentioned before, is the daughter in the 'aggressive yellow" thing. Just, no. Slap your children.

Secondly concerns the guy who was in 'Oz" doing a car insurance commercial. If I have to hear him or his 'victim' scream "What?' one more time, I am going to set fire... wait. Is self-immolate a tautology? OK

That bad.

Comment

Welcome back Gero, does anyone else think that the Lucozade add makes no sense. The (I presume) son steals stuff out his ( I presume) father's shed. Dad is disappointed at sons behaviour until this middle aged man wanders into a garage party and realises that's what his son needs it for and he's proud of him.
                                              why didn't the son just ask to borrow the stuff?
                                              What's dad doing at a teenagers party?

Comment

Thanks.

Got a link elG? (Some of these 'verts need context. I will try and find the "aggressive" one, but you will want to punch out your computer screen.)

Comment

Brace yourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ckDrYOJoE4

Comment

This is the other one. Annoying for other reasons. (Mainly for it being on ALL THE FUCKING TIME.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fZ2sS-IqXo

Comment

Working...
                                                    X