Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just seen a traumatic advert

Windows 10 advert:

"Helping my progress is great. My name is Beowulf Borrit, and I am a Broadway set designer."

Of course you are.

Comment

Levin wrote: Why does Trivago use an Australian spokeswoman when advertising in the UK?

Not that there is anything wrong with it but I'm curious about the thought processes. Like with the Tena lady advert with what I think is a French lady.
      The Aussie Trivago girl is really cute, and the French Tena girl sounds like a French version of a friend of mine.
      Great shout on both, Levin.

Comment

This isn't traumatic, but I didn't want to start a thread for "I just seen an interesting advert" (featuring a Paolo Maldini lookalike).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBt_niVG4sM

The aesthetic seems to mirror this Lana Del Rey video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_-3di1yx0

And both seem to be copping Terrence Malick's style.

Comment

Oh dear me. That latest Ladbrokes ad where Chris Kamara has his face transposed onto all the characters, including the dog.

Comment

Just caught this on TV (it's the Maltesers wanking ad):

I seem to have missed the inevitable controversy. I think I like that it's a bit, I dunno, liberating?

Comment

This has been on TV a few times recently, and something bothered me about it.

Lee Jeans

Then I twigged what it was:

[spoiler]
              [hide]He takes the red hankie and then puts it in his back right pocket, showing to everyone (of a certain age) in the gay world, that he takes a fist up the arse.[/hide][/spoiler]

Comment

Crusoe wrote: Just caught this on TV (it's the Maltesers wanking ad):

I seem to have missed the inevitable controversy. I think I like that it's a bit, I dunno, liberating?
                I concur.

Comment

There's an advert for some sort of watch that helps you keep fit. It starts with a daughter giving her dad the watch, then shows them doing bits of exercise over time, during which dad gets fitter. The final scene shows why the daughter wanted him to get fit - so that he could walk her down the aisle on her wedding day.

My issue with the advert is that the few spoken bits have been dubbed by British actors despite the advert clearly being filmed in the US. As mentioned up thread we seem quite happy to have Australians doing adverts for hotels and French women doing adverts for Tena Lady, so I can't believe that nobody would have bought this watch because it was being advertised by Americans, or at least sounded like it was being advertised by Americans.

Comment

Perhaps they're foreseeing - or pre-empting - a time in the very near future when an American accent is going to go down like the proverbial cup of sick over here?

Comment

Southport Zeb wrote: The final scene shows why the daughter wanted him to get fit - so that he could walk her down the aisle on her wedding day.

My issue with the advert is that the few spoken bits have been dubbed by British actors despite the advert clearly being filmed in the US.
                      Actually, Toronto. The house on the incline was the first clue for me, being a very specific Toronto 'look'. But the clincher is those steps they climb overlooking the city, which are the Baldwin steps at Casa Loma.

Comment

Well, we definitely don't want to be sold owt by Canadians...

Comment

I should note that one of my useless superpowers is being able to spot Toronto as a stand-in for other cities in films and adverts. You think that houses are houses and shops are shops, but they have very distinct characteristics from city to city that make them either readily familiar or strange.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Well, we definitely don't want to be sold owt by Canadians...
                            Yeah, well Tim Hortons next big international push is in the UK, so don't get sick of us too soon.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Well, we definitely don't want to be sold owt by Canadians...
                              You are Sheila Broflovski AICMFP.

Comment

Come again?

Comment

Not until you've finished those Maltesers.

Etc.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: Come again?
                                    Kyle's mother in South Park, the one who started the whole "Blame Canada" thing in the film.

Comment

"It's not even a real country anyway."

Comment

Canada Does Not Exist, courtesy of TV Tropes.

Comment

The neighbourhood where I work has a shit-ton of movie/TV productions going on. Streets are often lined with NYC taxis and generic Metropolitan Police cars behind neon LES-branded traffic cones.

Other common sights: "Crew Base", "Crew Parking" and "Lunch #1" signs in odd locations out in the burbs.

Comment

Haddad's?

Comment

Hold My Baby, Man

Now, I am not having a go at Taco bell here, for having such a thing as rolled chicken tacos, which look fairly Taco Bellish. Nor am I having a go at the sauce or the baby.

No. I am having a go at the hipster cunt who orders our "hero" to "Hold my baby, man".

I will drop-kick your fucking head for 3 points at Murrayfield you passive aggressive little shit. Hold your own fucking baby, I'M EATING.

Comment

There is no way I could possibly condone slapping a child but I'm afraid I'd be tempted by the annoying little git in that Emirates ad with Jennifer Aniston.

"Can I have some cawwot juice?" FUCK OFF!

Comment

Gerontophile wrote: Hold My Baby, Man

Now, I am not having a go at Taco bell here, for having such a thing as rolled chicken tacos, which look fairly Taco Bellish. Nor am I having a go at the sauce or the baby.

No. I am having a go at the hipster cunt who orders our "hero" to "Hold my baby, man".

I will drop-kick your fucking head for 3 points at Murrayfield you passive aggressive little shit. Hold your own fucking baby, I'M EATING.
                                                  Yeah, that twunt looks to be the archetypal 'you-thought-he-was-the-good-guy-but-actually-he's-the-psychotic-asshole' that seems to appear in every Hollywood drama made over the past two decades.

Not only that, but the other dummy's dripping sauce on the baby's head.

Comment

Again, not traumatic, but you do wonder how a company with the might of Amazon came to employ week one Apprentice candidates to come up with their Amazon Alexa advert.

Starts off with some moody panning of said appliance with some quotes suggesting we're looking at the future arrived early, then segues into faceless loner dog owner adding arsebiscuits and buttonholes to his shopping list, cueing a playlist, and having the requests repeated verbatim by Alexa. Alexa sounds like she might be Stephen Hawking's sister.

A mate of mine bought one about a month ago, banged on about it for a week, and hasn't mentioned it since. 'Alexa, gather dust'.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X