Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Adverts aside, Talking Pictures is really good for turning up interesting stuff away from the bigger channels' rotations.

    Van der Valk is a right bastard in the third series that they're showing at the moment. Euston Films took over the production for that one and it shows.

    Comment


      On the other hand, under no circumstances turn over to Talking Pictures for the next two hours; they've put the toe curlingly bad 1970 Kingsley Amis adaptation Take A Girl Like You on again.

      Comment


        In Spanish adverts, experts on the right kind of cleaning product to use in showers, dishwashers and washing machines are invariably men - technicians appearing in kitchens as if by magic - while the "useless" females look on in awe and relief at being told what they've been doing wrong.

        Of course, accepting that men can know something about household chores is, from my merely anecdotal evidence, a step too far for far too many women of my acquaintance.

        The ads are still rabidly sexist, though.

        Comment


          Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
          If Robert de Niro had indeed read the script for the car advert, he would have seen that he didn't feature - surely he would have read further to see what his lines were, or what his character's motivation was. Instead he apparently read the first line and dressed as a hipster. Having brought his own costume.

          And why would he have even been sent the script?
          Indeed - but how he ever agreed to that piece of sh*t in the first place is beyond me.

          Mind you, he's been whoring himself a fair bit over here just lately.

          Comment


            The Niro ad is especially painful because the script seems written to hedge against viewers not realising who he is.

            I had imagined that he does all the crap, both ads and films, to raise cash for his hotel and restaurant empire but his net worth is supposedly something like $500 million (pre-Covid). The fee for something like the Niro horror can't be that significant a sum to him unless his philosophy is just to grab as much as possible while he can.

            Comment


              It's big, big money for not a whole lot of work.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                In Spanish adverts, experts on the right kind of cleaning product to use in showers, dishwashers and washing machines are invariably men - technicians appearing in kitchens as if by magic - while the "useless" females look on in awe and relief at being told what they've been doing wrong.

                Of course, accepting that men can know something about household chores is, from my merely anecdotal evidence, a step too far for far too many women of my acquaintance.

                The ads are still rabidly sexist, though.
                Whereas in the UK for some years it's, erm, leaned the other way for some time – it's always the men who are utter clueless clodhoppers when anything even remotely 'domestic' is involved, stumbling from one minor crisis to another in a state of sort of radiant incomprehension, until their better half flits into the picture to tidy it up for them with the aid of New WonderProduct! etc.. Which I guess ties into the stereotype evinced by your second paragraph there.

                I think this may well have fallen foul of more recent advertising laws however, where nobody can be presented as failing at a task simply by virtue of their gender... which must've meant scrapping an awful lot of advertising campaigns right there.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                  Whereas in the UK for some years it's, erm, leaned the other way for some time – it's always the men who are utter clueless clodhoppers when anything even remotely 'domestic' is involved, stumbling from one minor crisis to another in a state of sort of radiant incomprehension, until their better half flits into the picture to tidy it up for them with the aid of New WonderProduct! etc.. Which I guess ties into the stereotype evinced by your second paragraph there.

                  I think this may well have fallen foul of more recent advertising laws however, where nobody can be presented as failing at a task simply by virtue of their gender... which must've meant scrapping an awful lot of advertising campaigns right there.
                  However back in the other direction "Mr Muscle" was the male super hero coming to the rescue of stereotypical housewives who weren't scrubbing the worktops hard and fast enough before their husbands got home, or whatever.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                    The Niro ad is especially painful because the script seems written to hedge against viewers not realising who he is.

                    I had imagined that he does all the crap, both ads and films, to raise cash for his hotel and restaurant empire but his net worth is supposedly something like $500 million (pre-Covid). The fee for something like the Niro horror can't be that significant a sum to him unless his philosophy is just to grab as much as possible while he can.
                    He's far from the only one (though certainly one of the biggest) - the bar for stooping to shill for any old shite seems to have disappeared in recent years in Hollywood.

                    Comment


                      Once they have got over the conscience and cringe factors it is, as WOM suggests, money for old rope. The perception of licensing music for ads has also changed in recent years. Once bands used to agonise over it, as with the New Order Sunkist episode. Now, as other income streams have dried up, bands do it and aren't judged harshly because only megastars and veterans who made their pile back in the good old days can afford to dismiss such offers out of hand. I don't know whether Hollywood stars have lost their traditional means of earning to the same degree though.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

                        However back in the other direction "Mr Muscle" was the male super hero coming to the rescue of stereotypical housewives who weren't scrubbing the worktops hard and fast enough before their husbands got home, or whatever.
                        Wasn't that the later, badly dubbed CGI, unironically named Mr Muscle though? The original weedy version seemed to be living alone.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by WOM View Post
                          It's big, big money for not a whole lot of work.
                          If it exceeded 500k, I'd be surprised.

                          I mean, yes, that's a lot of dough, but we 'are' talking de Niro here - which clearly needs to take into account both the 'loose change'-aspect and his reputation.

                          Comment


                            If reports here are to be believed, his ancillary businesses have been bleeding tens of millions for a while and have been absolutely destroyed by the pandemic.

                            He seems to be very highly leveraged and not at all liquid.

                            Comment


                              Well, that might explain it to an extent, yes.

                              Comment


                                Jalopnik did a piece about a week ago on big stars that did car commercials - usually in Japan. It's not a big mystery: you make a piss-pot of money for a day's work with a nice trip thrown in to boot. There's really no downside or brand-damage to consider. And you can't dismiss the flattery of being courted for the gig.

                                Comment


                                  The early eighties Madness adverts for Honda appeared on their singles' video collection tape.

                                  Comment


                                    I have Googled "sloping dentists" but it didn't help. In my efforts to win I am going to look to see if I have any food channels on my Freeview, than watch them during Pudding Hour.

                                    Edit: that related to the sloping dentists thing from a page ago. Which you can probably tell anyway. I'm pissed, I need to go to the pub.

                                    Comment


                                      Surely if you’re pissed, the last place you need to go is the pub?

                                      Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                      Jalopnik did a piece about a week ago on big stars that did car commercials - usually in Japan. It's not a big mystery: you make a piss-pot of money for a day's work with a nice trip thrown in to boot. There's really no downside or brand-damage to consider. And you can't dismiss the flattery of being courted for the gig.
                                      That’s as maybe, but any dodgy commercial a major star makes in Japan is likely to stay there. I’m not sure whether the same can be said about the UK.

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                        Surely if you’re pissed, the last place you need to go is the pub?
                                        Cheap drinks alone at home; a couple or so more expensive pints down the boozer with mates and conversation.

                                        Comment


                                          Yeah that De Niro ad is basically just a shit pun with Robert used as a cheap prop. At least they didn't insist on him saying his line from Taxi Driver.

                                          Comment


                                            I wonder if the unknown actor who plays the director lists working with Robert De Niro on his acting CV?

                                            Comment


                                              Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                              any dodgy commercial a major star makes in Japan is likely to stay there.
                                              Has that ever really been true? Shows like Clive James on TV and Carrott's Commercial Breakdown were dragging them out decades ago, and you can find pretty much all of them on YouTube.

                                              Comment


                                                The ads with Darren Gough and Shane Warne for Advanced Hair Studio bring a new meaning to the phrase "wooden acting".

                                                Comment


                                                  Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                                  Has that ever really been true? Shows like Clive James on TV and Carrott's Commercial Breakdown were dragging them out decades ago, and you can find pretty much all of them on YouTube.
                                                  Those shows were on, what, thirty years ago? My point was that Japanese commercials aren’t really visible in the way that de Niro’s are - ie, every bloody ad break here. I’m sure that ‘that’ (apart from the wedge, obviously) is a big part of the appeal for yer major names that make them.

                                                  Comment


                                                    I see what you mean but I was referring to this strange naivety that they seem to have about "oh, no-one will ever see them outside Japan, so it's OK that I strip myself of every last bit of dignity I have", whereas some underpaid researcher with a satellite dish the size of an Olympic swimming pool is getting all these on tape ASAP in the hope that a few million people may find them vaguely amusing.

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X