No announcement yet.

I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always despised that song. Even more so now.

I also find that kindly Scotsman in the 'feeling hungry yet?' lamb (or whatever it is) commercial slightly disturbing.

Comment

Fever Tree tonic. Smug trust fund bastard.

Comment

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1273400070189219841

Comment

The Google Chromebook one that starts with "do you want a laptop that you don't have to charge 10 times a day?"

Who the fuck has a laptop with a battery that shit? Even if you do, you'd just leave it plugged in.

Comment

That is superb.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
              The Google Chromebook one that starts with "do you want a laptop that you don't have to charge 10 times a day?"

Who the fuck has a laptop with a battery that shit? Even if you do, you'd just leave it plugged in.
              My laptop really is that shit. It’s basically a portable desktop at this point. The battery life is about 40 minutes if it’s not plugged in.

Comment

It's a good point in general from GY though. It irritates me an unnecessary amount that they can blithely advertise things as an apparent selling point when the same 'novelty' would have ranked on the lowest edge of acceptable only a few years previously. It makes my teeth hurt whenever I read a mobile phone ad or review exclaiming that the impressive battery on new model X "will last you the whole day!", because I can't help thinking "Well, only a handful of years ago my phone battery would last a week".

Obviously it's not a like-for-like comparison, because it wasn't a (usable) pocket-sized computer in the same way that it is now, but even so it grates on me somehow that they can somehow blithely skip over how we've gone so far backwards in this one area of technological 'progress', as if it had never happened.

Comment

https://twitter.com/manscaped/status/1275443671052083200

Comment

It's time for me to leave this life...

Comment

I can't remember if it's the same company, but some "manscaping" equipment firm has bought a lot of podcast ads, which is even more traumatic given the format. It's deeply unsettling to hear podcast hosts with whom you've developed that strange one-sided intimacy talking about grooming down there.

Comment

Ira Glass reading "manscaping" adverts is the soundtrack to a dystopian hellscape

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                          "manscaping" equipment firm
                          Jeez, yes. Especially since the way you phrase that makes it sound so... industrial. I can't help but imagine them putting up hoardings, then bringing in a couple of heavy earth-movers and a bulldozer. And a skip.

Comment

Whoa! I only came on the thread to moan about a super weedy acoustic cover of True Faith on a video game ad.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              Ira Glass reading "manscaping" adverts is the soundtrack to a dystopian hellscape
                              OMG, he doesn't really, does he? I'm behind on my This American Life listening, and may not want to catch up if that's the case.

Comment

I don't think so. It's just that he and Roman Mars came immediately to mind after reading GY's post.

I can sort of see Mars doing it in an ultra-ironic fashion.

Comment

It's mostly the McElroys so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                    Whoa! I only came on the thread to moan about a super weedy acoustic cover of True Faith on a video game ad.
                                    This seems to be an unpleasant new thing, in the last week I've also been exposed to super weedy acoustic versions of I Ran and Linger as well.

Comment

New Order will be coining it in at the moment, Britbox uses (the original) Blue Monday in every ad break too.

Comment

Over the years they have more than made up for not cashing the Sunkist cheque.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned the Amazon ads, where happy employees are telling everyone what a GREAT place it is to work. No, I don't believe them either.

Comment

I’m sorry, but that Nescafe commercial - you know, the ad where that bloke who looks like an older member of Hansen starts playing guitar to the rhythm of the coin-op while laundering his underpants and all those Hoxton-types come running from nowhere to join in - is rubbish.

Comment

Between getting ready for Brexit and the self-congratulatory guff from the 'terrestrial' TV companies, the comically shit version of Born to be Wild on Volvo's current ad almost comes as light relief.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                I’m sorry, but that Nescafe commercial - you know, the ad where that bloke who looks like an older member of Hansen starts playing guitar to the rhythm of the coin-op while laundering his underpants and all those Hoxton-types come running from nowhere to join in - is rubbish.
                                                I know, how does he plug in his guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                  Haven't seen that piece of crap in a while thankfully, but yeah, that's annoying.

Comment

If Robert de Niro had indeed read the script for the car advert, he would have seen that he didn't feature - surely he would have read further to see what his lines were, or what his character's motivation was. Instead he apparently read the first line and dressed as a hipster. Having brought his own costume.

And why would he have even been sent the script?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X