Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may change adverts in the UK a bit:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46558944

I say "may" because there's plenty of other rules concerning adverts (not having them played at louder volume than the programmes they're inserted into/between, not portraying cosmetics as making you a stick-on cert to be attractive to the opposite sex, no national stereotyping) that already get broken with dazzling regularity, but hey ho.

Comment

Noticeable shift in the kind of ads showing at the Tyneside Cinema in the run-up to xmas. There are often shitty ads for 4x4s which I think are singularly misdirected but now we're getting bespoke diamond jewellery, luxury holidays and couture.

Clearly someone in adbooking agencies thinks that all punters in all 'arthouse' cinemas are all loaded and uber-posh. I suppose they do occasionally livestream opera and that.

Comment

That's ridiculous. Clearly it should be precision targeted adverts for duffle coats, Gitanes, modern jazz and free love.

Comment

Men's Wearhouse (sic).

The actor in it has "smug twat" down perfectly. Eminently punchable.

Comment

Saw this in the cinema when I watched The Favourite. I have to say, it's an... interesting move, post emissions scandals, for a car company to rhetorically ask the question "What if we obeyed the rules" as if it would be a bad thing.

Comment

Just seen the Michael Buble advert for a soft drink called 'Bubly'. Yes, it's very silly, but very well done. And, yes, I laughed. (I probably won't the second time.)

Comment

I thought that that wretched Kris Akabusi commercial would be the worst in current rotation, but that bloody car ad with Thierry Henry is somehow even more annoying: "Who's ate all the toffees?" Great. Another generation of kids unable to speak proper English. Thanks a bunch for that, Renault.

I really need to watch less football. Or less Sky, per se.

Comment

Is Henry still doing the 'Va Va Voom' thing?

Comment

British Airways' current spot with famous people trotting out delusional, self regarding clichés of national exceptionalism really sticks in the throat at the moment.

It's even worse than the Comic Relief tie-in safety announcement and that's only inflicted upon their actual passengers.

Supermarkets jostling to out-British each other with their Sunday lunch ingredients can fuck off too.

Comment

Toyota spreading nonsense with their "self-charging hybrid" bullshit.

The pathetic little battery is charged pretty much exclusively by petrol, with a miniscule amount of regenerative braking system adding a dribble on top.

Self-charging my fucking Aunt Fanny. I assume you turn it on in the morning and the battery has replenished itself overnight in defiance of the laws of physics?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                        Is Henry still doing the 'Va Va Voom' thing?
                        He doesn't actually appear to do anything in these ads, bar show up.

Nice gig, if you can get it.

Comment

I keep getting a pop up ad on my phone for some recruitment company with the tag line
                          How did Holmes hire Watson?
                          ELEMENTARY
                          Holmes didn't hire Watson you useless dickwads, they were introduced by a mutual friend when the two of them were looking for accommodation to share, Watson was an ex military doctor who later became a GP.
                          If you can't get the basic facts of one of the most popular series of books in history right, why should anyone use you?

Comment

P&O Cruises are currently running an ad in the UK where the music used is "Mess Around" by Ray Charles.

That'll be the song famously featured in Planes, Trains & Automomiles, a film noteworthy for having no boats whatsoever in it, then?

Comment

The latest Verizon advert has a bearded, be-trilby'ed wanker, talking about how Verizon got him tickets for the Justin Timberlake concert, where he was literally 10 feet from Justin, "who looked straight into my camera".

And hopefully set fucking security on you, you complete BELLEND.

Comment

McDonalds currently have an ad on the radio boasting about having massively reduced saturated fats in cooking oil. In the small print at the end it reveals that this was from 1997-2010. Twats.

Comment

I'd not imagine that McD's were doing anything of the sort twenty-two years ago. I mean, they're only doing it now because they have to.

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                  The latest Verizon advert has a bearded, be-trilby'ed wanker, talking about how Verizon got him tickets for the Justin Timberlake concert, where he was literally 10 feet from Justin, "who looked straight into my camera".
                                  This is the age of the easily-pleased. In every sense.

Comment

Working...
                                  X