I've just seen a traumatic advert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MsD wrote: I can't help thinking that Serge and Alex were a bit hasty in deciding Baby Oleg could stay in Africa with his new friends.

Imagine if our parents just left us behind when we acted unwilling to leave anywhere.

Surely it's the role of the adults to be firm in such a situation.
    They're like a reverse Madonna, aren't they.

I mean it's not even their child. It was left on their doorstep. I bet they hadn't even gone down the channels to legally adopt the kid (the fact the kid calls them auntie and uncle supports this). It's trafficking, plain and simple.

TonTon wrote: Does anyone else detest advertising in the same way I do? Like, proper hatred?
    Not that I now have a TV system that fast-forwards at 30 seconds a time, no.

Comment

I have a new skybox that allows that too, and the boxsets/catch up programmes on it are strangely ad-free..?

But in answer to TonTon: oh yes indeedy.

I frequently embarrass my friends in the pictures by heckling car, army etc ads. I take the view that if I can turn them off/shout at them at home, I shouldn't suffer them silently in a cinema, where I am paying to see a film.

As for the Kevin Bacon EE ads...(if you haven't been to a British cinema recently, you will have been spared these. I hope.):

-even the worst ad on tv isn't SO frequent that you could recite every word. Or so large you can't avoid looking at it. I go to the cinema more than once a week and it's there for months, the exact same ad. It makes me curmudgeonly and contemptuous of fellow cinemagoers who (presumably) are seeing it fresh and sometimes even laugh at the 'punchlines'....

("No, I've got 4G, I'm afraid that's just my face" FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKK OOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!)

Comment

Before anyone suggests coming in 20 mins late to avoid the ads (and I also hate most trailers, which spoil the film):

1) It doesn't always last the same amount of time. I missed the start of two films before giving up on this

2) people don't like it- you tread all over their coats, popcorn etc by going into the middle (I have to sit in the middle, sorry) of the row in the dark (they don't have usherettes with torches anymore. Bring back usherettes.)

3) to avoid 1), one could enter, say, 15 mins from the start of the 'session'/programme and thereby miss most of the ads/trailers but still guarantee not missing a crucial opening shot?

Ah but Kevin Fucking Bacon is always on last

Comment

David Agnew wrote:
          Originally posted by MsD
          I can't help thinking that Serge and Alex were a bit hasty in deciding Baby Oleg could stay in Africa with his new friends.

Imagine if our parents just left us behind when we acted unwilling to leave anywhere.

Surely it's the role of the adults to be firm in such a situation.
          They're like a reverse Madonna, aren't they.

I mean it's not even their child. It was left on their doorstep. I bet they hadn't even gone down the channels to legally adopt the kid (the fact the kid calls them auntie and uncle supports this). It's trafficking, plain and simple.
          I needed home insurance anyway, so ... Baby Oleg is on booster seat in van on way to me (apparently) so will be safe. Phew.

Comment

I think the thing that I find oddest about the Bacon buffer face advert is the line in which he says "because Bacon don't like waiting for anything". The way it's said, it appears it's meant to be a pun in which the word 'Bacon' is crowbarred into an existing expression. The only problem being that this expression doesn't exist.

Comment

Warburtons?

Comment

It's taken me three hearings to work out that the lads in the new Vodafone advert have been "animating together" for several years. Is that what they call it now, hurr.

Baby Oleg Safari toy is on way, apparently. I got a video and a nice postkat.

Comment

He's here! Very lovely.

Hanging with David Bowie.

Comment

I'm deeply concerned about anyone who'd consider themselves an Elite Single.

The Innocent smoothies advert irritates me too, with its feigned interest in Badrul and his hand-turned mangoes (no euphemism intended). All big companies are bastards, at least be honest about it.

Comment

Carlos Costly wrote:

The Innocent smoothies advert irritates me too, with its feigned interest in Badrul and his hand-turned mangoes (no euphemism intended). All big companies are bastards, at least be honest about it.
                      Aren't they owned by those lovely people at Coca Cola or Pepsi now anyway?

Comment

Shazam for 'slightly annoying me whenever you want me to Shazam anything that pops up on my telly'.

Comment

The Optimax laser eye surgery one with Djalenga Scott (she's a stage musical actress, apparently).

Why does she stare like that? If that's one of the side effects of the surgery, I'm sticking with my glasses.

Comment

Hanging with David Bowie.

Nice that you've got them in almost-matching jumpsuits!

Comment

Those ads for 888's mobile betting service that depict football fans as smug, leering, self-satisfied arseholes who'd be the last people you'd ever want to stand next to at any sporting venue.

Yes, I know, there are such that exist, but 888 seem to see fit that such entities should promote their business.

Comment

The advert, supposedly for Visit England, involving increasingly odd people reciting Jerusalem. I assume this is actually a plant by the French tourist authorities, as it makes me want to leave the country every time it's on.

Comment

Felicity, I guess so wrote: Hanging with David Bowie.

Nice that you've got them in almost-matching jumpsuits!
                                  It's a happy accident. My friend knitted Bowie for me (as a surprise) based on my favourite look, the Tokyo Pop vinyl suit. He has odd pupils an'all.

http://www.hungertv.com/feature/snap-david-bowie/

Safari Oleg toy have similar grow-pup suit.

Comment

I think they've got that campaign spot on, as the emails and videos they send are always funny, and I always look at them. I would actually like more of the meerkat toys, and I'm not really a soft-toy person (despite evidence to the contrary ... ).

Compare the meerkats to the other price comparison website campaigns - the terrible Brian the confused robot, and .. others I have made myself forget.

Comment

I don't mind Brian, he's certainly an improvement on Confused's other campaigns - there's a channel on YouTube called HallOfAdvertising (no spaces) that has all the old Confused ads on there - now THOSE are bad!

Comment

ian.64 wrote: Those ads for 888's mobile betting service that depict football fans as smug, leering, self-satisfied arseholes who'd be the last people you'd ever want to stand next to at any sporting venue.

Yes, I know, there are such that exist, but 888 seem to see fit that such entities should promote their business.
                                        Completely this. Morons texting each other tedious lad banter - the Lovejoy prophecy has come true. This is how football supporters are actually perceived and it's so depressing.

Comment

tratorello wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Carlos Costly

Aren't they owned by those lovely people at Coca Cola or Pepsi now anyway?
                                          Yeah, owned by cuddly Coca Cola. Some of their charitable and environmental claims have been found wanting too.

Comment

I love the existential sadness of Brian's life. He wanders around trying to be helpful, only to be scorned by those he helps, and then they try to destroy him. He's a bit like Robot Jesus or something.

Comment

Fuck Brian. The ad-makers probably knew that there was an undertone of anti-Brian sentiment when they added the threat of an industrial cruncher in the last advert, teasing us before destroying our hopes by having the simpering metal twat rescued. He's gone the meerkat way now and there's a Brian toy ready for the soft-hearted to embrace should they choose to sign on for Confused.com's car insurance offer.

How many times is this soft-toy gubbins going to be used to entice softies to buy advertised wares? Will Bet365 bring out cuddly woolly Ray Winstone dolls that go 'tasty' when you pull a cord out their backs if you're attracted by the thought of ten free first-time bets? How's about toy figures inspired by those annoying bastard flatmates in the BT ads? Or a free Freddy the Faeces soft-toy come draft excluder if you buy economy packs of Senakot?

You people.

Comment

MsD wrote: It's taken me three hearings to work out that the lads in the new Vodafone advert have been "animating together" for several years. Is that what they call it now, hurr.
                                                What does it mean?

Comment

Ian, if you prefer not to purchase insurance to get your Brian toy, the going rate on eBay appears to be £70-80.

Comment

Those laxative adverts mentioned upthread are hilariously bad. Someone emerging from their house heading for work with a faint hint of a satisfied smile which says 'I've just had a fucking huge shit and I feel great'

Not nearly as informative as perfume adverts, particularly Only The Brave where some cunt is running through a tunnel barefoot and stripped to the waist for no apparent reason. Maybe they've just escaped a vivisectionist who's been rubbing that piss in their eyes for weeks on end.

Still, better to torture brain dead human models than innocent small mammals, right kids?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X