Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Well, I don't still have access to it, if that's what you're asking...

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Would that costume have fitted a man of... oh, dunno... about 5' 9"? Asking for a friend, like.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Many people 'perform a task and get paid', that's just 'working' - my point there was obviously that commercials pay extremely well.

I was once offered ten grand to dress up as a Pot Noodle for a fifteen-second ad. I didn't do it because I have principles. (Well, I was too tall for the costume.)

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    'For the money' - whether needed or otherwise - is the reason why most people do commercials, famous, or not.
    Well, that's almost impossible to refute, since they perform a task and they get paid.

But I'd venture that there are reasons beyond the money that would cause a celebrity to endorse a product; belief in it, or its principles, for example. Paul McCartney might endorse a vegan product, say. Granted that's probably the exception, but my objection was more to the 'needing' the money vs 'for' the money. Even people with pisspots full of money continue to work.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    'For the money' - whether needed or otherwise - is the reason why most people do commercials, famous, or not.

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
    As Jah suggests, it has been used so much that it doesn't make a great deal of difference in most people's minds whether he took the multi-grain dollar or not. I always thought 'In The Morning' by The Coral was a fairly transparent attempt at opening up commercial opportunities (from an otherwise credible act) and a quick search reveals Tesco took the bait eventually.
    Indeed - and even more so, that bloody 'throw those curtains wide!' Elbow song.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Yes. Plus, he hardly needs the money.
    'Needing the money' isn't the only reason that people do / don't do things.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    That's a fair point and assuming he still gets asked, which he probably is given it's a daytime radio staple, maybe he should take that shilling. Who would begrudge him.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
    He could have earned six-figure sums, had he allowed Wake Up Boo! to be used to advertise a breakfast cereal, a washing powder - "anything to do with getting up in the morning." Carr wasn't interested. "I could never do it," he says. "You would get the money, spend it, and then for the rest of your life you would be known as the bloke who did the music for the Cornflakes ad."

https://www.theguardian.com/friday_r...349977,00.html

Although this is an old interview, I'm pretty sure it still applies.
    As Jah suggests, it has been used so much that it doesn't make a great deal of difference in most people's minds whether he took the multi-grain dollar or not. I always thought 'In The Morning' by The Coral was a fairly transparent attempt at opening up commercial opportunities (from an otherwise credible act) and a quick search reveals Tesco took the bait eventually.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Isn't this a reflection of the fact that McCartney still controls his solo back catalogue, whereas the Beatles' were sold on (to Michael Jackson, then Sony) decades ago?
    Yes. Plus, he hardly needs the money.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Isn't this a reflection of the fact that McCartney still controls his solo back catalogue, whereas the Beatles' were sold on (to Michael Jackson, then Sony) decades ago?

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    The Beatles have, for sure. Do you mean his solo stuff specifically?

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Has Paul McCartney ever sold his music for ads?

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    He could have earned six-figure sums, had he allowed Wake Up Boo! to be used to advertise a breakfast cereal, a washing powder - "anything to do with getting up in the morning." Carr wasn't interested. "I could never do it," he says. "You would get the money, spend it, and then for the rest of your life you would be known as the bloke who did the music for the Cornflakes ad."

https://www.theguardian.com/friday_r...349977,00.html

Although this is an old interview, I'm pretty sure it still applies.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Wasn't that hijacked shedloads of times around the time of its release?

Can certainly remember This Morning using it (in edited loop version) for one of their competitions. Possibly without Carr's permission, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    Going back to musicians holding out against adverts, Martin Carr is still getting offers and refusing to licence 'Wake Up Boo!'

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    We both greatly enjoyed Lost In Translation.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    It's a schtick that only works when other funnier people are around him and he's forced to raise his game a bit. Therefore it can't work in serious roles at all.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Other people seem to have a deep love for Bill Murray basically acting as himself in every movie he does. Oh look, he's doing something funny but he looks miserable, how hilarious! Leaves me totally cold.

And Lost in Translation was utterly dire, don't think I made it past halfway through.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I watched a pre-release cut of Lost in Translation and thought it was boring dire bollocks. The way other people talk about it I think the film must have been heavily edited in the few weeks before it went on cinema release. Either that or people really love boring dire bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    I can't find Kenny Dalglish's japanese whisky ad anywhere. Only articles referring to long dead videos. It was glorious.

Leave a comment:

• Various Artist
    replied
    Isn't the opening premise of Lost In Translation that Bill Murray's character is off doing one of these commercials for a Japanese whisk(e)y? So it's lucrative, 'out of sight' so doesn't really matter how he comes off doing it (and his star is fading regardless back in the US so what the heck) but fundamentally soul-destroying and part of a more general dislocation he's experiencing – thus setting him up for encountering Scarlett Johansson's character and all that goes along with that.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    I see what you mean but I was referring to this strange naivety that they seem to have about "oh, no-one will ever see them outside Japan, so it's OK that I strip myself of every last bit of dignity I have", whereas some underpaid researcher with a satellite dish the size of an Olympic swimming pool is getting all these on tape ASAP in the hope that a few million people may find them vaguely amusing.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    Has that ever really been true? Shows like Clive James on TV and Carrott's Commercial Breakdown were dragging them out decades ago, and you can find pretty much all of them on YouTube.
    Those shows were on, what, thirty years ago? My point was that Japanese commercials aren’t really visible in the way that de Niro’s are - ie, every bloody ad break here. I’m sure that ‘that’ (apart from the wedge, obviously) is a big part of the appeal for yer major names that make them.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    The ads with Darren Gough and Shane Warne for Advanced Hair Studio bring a new meaning to the phrase "wooden acting".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X