Best film of the decade poll: one for JV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The LA Weekly/Village Voice polled a large number of critics for their end of the year film poll, asking them to also name one film as their choice of film of the decade. Since they could only name one, there's a very long list, many with only 1 vote. The favorite of the critics, by far (with 10 votes, double those in second)...

There were a lot of very solid, highly enjoyable films like Sideways (zero votes there), but nothing stands out as truly memorable.

This has been however a banner decade for documentaries, good to see Plages d'Agnes high up there on that list. The Cove however was way overrated at #4.

Comment

For documentaries, my pick would be When the Levees Broke, which didn't get any votes.

Comment

Well, my top 10 of the decade:

No Country for Old Men
        Hedwig And The Angry Inch
        Goodbye Lenin
        The Lives Of Others
        Amelie
        Juno
        Shrek
        Sideways
        Lars And The Real Girl
        Almost Famous

With an honorable mention for Napoleon Dymamite and In Bruges.

And I believe I'd really like Donnie Darko. I ought to see Crash gain, to see if it will whelm me either way. Ditto Punch-drunk Love. I have no interest in the Lord Of The Rings trilogy.

Comment

Got a bit bored this evening so I thought I'd make my list. Wasnt sure that I'd actually be able to get 10 that I loved or at least really liked, but after perusing my shelves it proved easier than I thought. I've listed them in chronological order:

Ivan's xtc (00)
          Irreversible (02)
          Punch Drunk Love (02)
          Elephant (03)
          Owning Mahowny (03)
          Brick (05)
          Inland Empire (07)
          Mister Lonely (07)
          The Wrestler (08)
          The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call-New Orleans (09)

All of these films had a visceral, emotional effect on me that stuck. I've watched all of them repeatedly and they've all rewarded me with something new every time. I could watch any of these flicks right here right now.

Merry Christmas to all.

Comment

I was excited when Owen G of entertainment Weekly echoed my best pick of the 90s as well, Boogie Nights.

Well done to those critics who picked the only legitimate choice.

Comment

I would have thought that you would have Bad Santa up there as well.

Watching it on Spike now, and unfortunately (but understandably), the "You ain't going to shit right for a week" line was cut out.

Comment

I'm with G.Man - "Goodbye Lenin" is a cracker.

Comment

City of God
                  Sin city
                  Mystic river
                  The Batman films

Comment

I've just looked over my list, and realised a bias towards small indie films. One might add to those Garden State and Elizabethtown, both of which I enjoyed immensely.

Anyway, am I correct in thinking that the outgoing decade has been particularly good for independent movies? I don't remember that many indie movies from the 1990s that really stuck with me. Do we have to thank Robert Redford for that, or the rise of retail DVDs?

Comment

1990s indies:

Boogie Nights
                      Fargo
                      Ed Wood
                      Dazed and Confused
                      Reservoir Dogs
                      Pulp Fiction
                      Rushmore
                      Clerks
                      El Mariachi
                      Pi
                      Requiem for a Dream
                      Dead Man Walking

docs:
                      Hoop Dreams
                      Crumb

Comment

For me, the decade in film will always principally be the one during which James Bond got good again. Not that I think those were the two best films of the decade, but my word they were great to watch after Pierce Brosnan's stint...

Anyway.

Che - not sure if I mentioned this at the time, but it really is seriously fucking good.

Carandirú - Overshadowed by City Of God, but I liked it more. The way it ends is hideous.

Nine Queens - Argentine film of the decade, by common consensus. Although I'd be tempted to put Kamchatka up there with it as well. Oh, and...

Iluminados Por El Fuego (Illuminated / Blessed By Fire) - written by a Malvinas veteran, whom I had the pleasure of meeting after watching it in Manchester. And very powerful indeed.

Soul Power - the last three or four minutes of which basically justify the invention of the video camera, the cinema, the microphone... humanity, even. JAMES BROWN, ladies and gentlemen!

Infernal Affairs - shits all over any other trilogy of the last ten years. Star What?

And just as I was thinking I couldn't remember any that had made me cry with laughter, my eye strayed along the DVD rack to

Napoleon Dynamite

I was tempted to include A Cock And Bull Story too, but I'm not sure whether the film as a whole merits inclusion - I just remember it fondly for the scene in which Steve Coogan drops a hot roast chestnut down the front of his pants. Seeing that in the cinema was the only time I've come close to (literally) falling out of my chair laughing.

Comment

Two people voted for "A.I?" A.I.? Aye-fucking-eye? Really? That's one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Comment

Yeah, pathetic. Many of these critics are the same industry people who put up crap like this.

Comment

You calling those of us who've participated on this thread 'industry people', Linus?

Comment

Crap like A.I., on that LA Weekly list, that is, Sam.

Comment

Point well made, inca. Funny thing is, I didn't think of many of those movies as indies. And the reason for that, I think, is that in the '90s, most of those movies would play in normal cinemas in South Africa. Now, only blockbusters and movies made for idiots are shown in mainstream cinemas, and all other movies in arthouse cinemas. Of which there are two, plus an independent one, in Cape Town.

Comment

Having just seen 'Waltz With Bashir' again, i'd definitely put that in my top ten movies of the last decade.

Comment

Working...
                                    X