Oi! Watson! Shut it, you wankah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy Ritchie re-imagines Sherlock Holmes.

Oh Dear.

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
    Guy Ritchie re-imagines Sherlock Holmes.

Oh Dear.
    Its based on a graphic novel...

Comment

This looks terrible. I thought so when I first saw the billboards and saw that Downey's Holmes was sporting a haircut that wouldn't be seen until roughly about 100 years after the time period, and then I saw the commercials and had my suspicions confirmed.

Comment

Went to see this on Boxing day. Not awful just very dull.

Comment

Saw this yesterday. There's a good movie waiting to get out of that hash.

Comment

I enjoyed this. I don't like fights and action scenes much - they're just dull, and I wait impatiently for them to end like drum solos - but the plot was imaginative, the acting excellent (first time I haven't wanted to punch Jude Law for years), and the script witty. I also liked the shooting of grubby 19th century London rather than the usual polished period drama portrayal.

Comment

I'd have to go along with imp. The film was pretty good. If you weren't forewarned then you wouldn't recognise this film as a Guy Richie product. Certainly the soundtrack would not be the type you'd associate with one of his films.
              The smog-filled streets gave a far more realistic backdrop, and the slowing down of the film to hear the thought processes of Holmes deductions was a clever touch. Even the fight scenes showed some realism, punches actually breaking noses and jaws instead of being brushed away like a fly buzzing around your head.
              Best of all, it avoided the cliches that might be expected of a Sherlock Holmes movie. Holmes didn't wear a deerstalker or say "Elementry my dear Watson".
              The main letdown was the reference to Professor Moriarty towards the end and the obvious set up for a sequel which left the film looking like an episode rather than a stand alone movie, which it ought to be viewed as.

Comment

I'm going with what imp and Sean said. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The revelation that Brad Pitt is going to play Moriarty in the sequel (and, in fact, did do without a credit in this one) is only an ever-so-slight dampener on what was a very enjoyable film.

As Sean says, it's nothing bloody like any other Guy Ritchie film, and I'm sure we'd all agree that that can only be a point in its favour.

But Lock Stock... that was him wasn't it? If so Sean, it's a bit harsh to bring up soundtracks as an (apparent) negative - that had 'The Payback' on it. Makes it alright by me.

Now, maybe if Vinnie Jones was playing Moriarty...

Comment

I don't like fights and action scenes much - they're just dull, and I wait impatiently for them to end like drum solos
                  Beautiful comparison.

Comment

I enjoyed it, although too much of "the woman" for my liking.

Comment

SamLKelly wrote:
                      I'm going with what imp and Sean said. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The revelation that Brad Pitt is going to play Moriarty in the sequel (and, in fact, did do without a credit in this one) is only an ever-so-slight dampener on what was a very enjoyable film.

As Sean says, it's nothing bloody like any other Guy Ritchie film, and I'm sure we'd all agree that that can only be a point in its favour.

But Lock Stock... that was him wasn't it? If so Sean, it's a bit harsh to bring up soundtracks as an (apparent) negative - that had 'The Payback' on it. Makes it alright by me.

Now, maybe if Vinnie Jones was playing Moriarty...
                      Don't get me wrong Sam, Ritchie's films have some cracking soundtracks, sometimes they are the best part of the film. I was just trying to compliment him on the choice of soundtrack as, had he followed the usual routine, it could have been totally inappropriate.

Comment

I really enjoyed this. It's like Ritchie has thrown off a moral and creative vacuum that has been making everything he touches turn to shit for the last 8 or so years.

Comment

Working...
                        X