Mark Watson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark Watson

So is he Welsh or not? What the fuck's the deal there then?

Mark Watson

Perhaps, assuming all comedians are insecure, his level of Welshness indicates how he's feeling on a particular day.

"Shit, this material isn't funny at all. I'd better turn up the Welshness. That always gets a laff".

On the other hand, perhaps it was simply his "angle" when he was trying to break into tv and radio.

Comment

Mark Watson

He's a bit Welsh, not Rhod Gilbert Welsh though with a bit of Adge Cutler thrown in

Comment

Mark Watson

I understand that he emphasises his Welshness for comedic reasons.

To be fair, I did the same when I did stand-up. It was basically all about growing up in Wales in the 70s as Wales and the 70s are very funny and odd places

Comment

Mark Watson

I think he's generally very funny.

Comment

Mark Watson

Bored of Education wrote:
            I understand that he emphasises his Welshness for comedic reasons.

To be fair, I did the same when I did stand-up. It was basically all about growing up in Wales in the 70s as Wales and the 70s are very funny and odd places
            Yeah I like him and Rhod, I live about a mile from the border so spend my free weekends walking in them there hills, you get to meet some real characters and the emphasises they put on certain words definately makes you smile. Listen to a real old rustic Welshman say Cerrigydrudion and it's bound to raise a smile

Comment

Mark Watson

He's not Welsh at all, he's from Bristol and is a Bristol City supporter.

The Welsh accent was a comedic device which he's now trying to get away from.

I saw him up in Edinburgh a few years ago and it was slightly odd seeing him do the show with the Welsh brogue and then talk to him off stage with no real discernible accent (I think he's lived in London for a while and now has that sort of London/Home Counties non-descript accent).

Comment

Mark Watson

According to his Wiki page, he has Welsh parents.

Comment

Mark Watson

Someone asked me if I was Welsh the other week.

Comment

Mark Watson

And were you?

Comment

Mark Watson

yeah i'd heard he was bristol city, put me right off

anyone see that bbc4 thing the other night - think he might have written it, called something like "a child's christmas in wales" a comedy set in the eighties apparently

Comment

Mark Watson

A Child's Christmases In Wales; put Christmas in the singular and you've got Dylan Thomas rather than Mark Watson.

I wrote the original posting while Mrs E was watching it on the V+, actually. Quite funny. I do like "We Need Answers", as well.

Comment

Mark Watson

I watched the first 15 minutes of that and was enjoying it, but then I had to go to bed.

Comment

Mark Watson

i havent actually seen it yet but i have recorded it, wondered if it should be deleted before or after watching it

Comment

Working...
                            X