Games Britannia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games Britannia

After seeing The Horse's tweet recommending it, I decided to postpone Life until tomorrow night in favour of this, and a fascinating thing it was too.

Charting the history of various board, parlour and dice/card games, Benjamin Wooley had them explained to him, usually by some historian who has studied them for years, before handing them a convincing whupping - much to the historian's chagrin.

He decided against trying this with a chess grandmaster though, preferring to re-enact 'The Immortal Game' organised by Howard Staunton between Adolf Anderssen and Lionel Kieseritzky.

Great stuff - catch it on iPlayer.

Games Britannia

I must do. It sounds like one of those 'made for me' documentaries that are, of course, the ones I invariably miss.

I'm not sure whether it might have been spreading itself a bit thinly, though? I mean, an hour on the history of various board, parlour and dice/card games? You could fill an hour discussing the placement of your first two settlements in Settlers of Catan.

Comment

Games Britannia

Thanks for the heads-up, CTT - I had no idea this was even on.

Mumpo is right, though - this is the kind of thing that needs a whole series dedicated to it: one hour-long episode on the development of each of the categories of game, with a bit of social background too.

Comment

Games Britannia

Gah! Missed this, but apparently it's in three parts.

Comment

Working...
        X