Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xmas Radio Times

OK, I feel properly Xmassy now this is out;

There are two covers but obviously any discerning purchaser will go for the one on the right which is good rubbish not rubbish rubbish like the one on the left.

Getting it on the way home and going to work with the highlighter pen tonight.

This can be a Xmas TV thread if anyone is interested.

Xmas Radio Times

Xmas TV, the cathode-ray tube's version of needle-in-a-haystack. There are goodies to be had, but they're buried beneath a huge amount of shite.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

Very true, and for every Chitty/Sound of/Mary Poppins, there is the occasional 'Phantom Tollbooth'. Admittedly, I only remember it being on TV once.

What has happened to the page formatting on here? 2/3 of all the threads have some sort of right hand side distortion and I cant read it over the adverts.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

The images appear to be too big. I'd resize if I knew how.

Ian, the "needle in a haystack" issue is why you buy the magazine a few weeks upfront and spend a night in with hot beverages and the afore-mentioned highlighter pen spotting the goodies.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

Its not just this thread Harry, and its not just images. The adverts are too far over to the left, and its PISSING ME OFF!.

Sort it out admins. If you wouldn't mind.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

You're kind of bumming out my Xmas Vibe here.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

Ian, the "needle in a haystack" issue is why you buy the magazine a few weeks upfront and spend a night in with hot beverages and the afore-mentioned highlighter pen spotting the goodies.

Oh, indeed, that's one of the small pleasures of the whole affair, as Geronto points out, it's like a voyage of discovery where you hope that the odd personal favourite, long unscreened through years of waiting, finally pops up at 10.50 on Christmas Morning, after Noel's Christmas Trawler Of Shite, or something.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

Can you still get the inferior "TV Times" in the UK?

I'm sure that I can remember a brief period fairly recently when the bumper issue of the Radio Times didn't quite stretch to the New Year, requiring a second trip to the newsagents to get the following edition.

Anyone else recall this, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

No, you're quite right, this did happen on occasions. No idea if it still does. As the Radio Times week runs from Saturday to Friday there are years when New Year doesn't quite land within the Christmas fortnight. A year when Dec 25th falls on a Saturday would be a good example of this. In these circumstances there would usually be a cursory listings of the New Year programmes on a page towards the back.

What's the thinking behind the two covers, are there a load of Radio Times collectors who have to have both?

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

Since the advent of Sky Movies there's little interest in xmas telly for me. It used to be the time you'd get to see all the big films, but they're on 3 times a week for months on Sky now.

All I bother watching now, christmas-wise is the Christmas Lectures.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

Me Old Flower wrote:
                      Can you still get the inferior "TV Times" in the UK?
                      Yes, I actually spotted it last week when looking for Radio Times.

It is getting slaughtered though, unsurprisingly RT's circulation is dropping but I was shocked to see it is no longer the best-selling TV listings magazine.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

Since the advent of Sky Movies there's little interest in xmas telly for me. It used to be the time you'd get to see all the big films, but they're on 3 times a week for months on Sky now.

That's true. The 'big Xmas premiere' on BBC 1 now gets shown on 7.30 on Saturday or Sunday mornings on Sky Movies. Things change a lot.

They'll probably have the old Gerald Sim version of Scrooge on over Christmas. Don't mind that, that's cracking.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

Sky isn't for movies, it's for sport!

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

They'll probably have the old Gerald Sim version of Scrooge on over Christmas.

Did Alistair have a brother then?

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

This thread is so depressing. Christmas in England. Damp. The Radio cocking Times with its homilies and its uncritical film content. sitting round the fire in drink sodden depression. sitting in the cold watching Saints manage a lacklustre draw.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

I think you people must have Xmas on a different planet from me.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

sorry Harry. It's my own fault for not having the money to just go somewhere else.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

They'll probably have the old Gerald Sim version of Scrooge on over Christmas.

Did Alistair have a brother then?

Fuck me, I'll probably need that Radio Times more than you will. So Gareth Bale wasn't in The Dark Knight then? Arse.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

Sky isn't for movies, it's for sport!
                                      It's for sport and movies. And Most Haunted, obviously.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

The 1978 Christmas Radio Times.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

I saw Lyra posting and thought we'd had a resurgence of former posters coming back. Huh.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

My house, the evening of December 9th;

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

Bought mine this aft. Saturday morning lie-in not being able to find anything worth recording awaits.

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

Why does it have three fluorescent dildos attached to its cover?

Comment

Xmas Radio Times

You're not the first person to make such a comment.

However, they are highlighters from my 12 year old daughter's pencil case so we'll hear no more of such talk.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X