Miranda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miranda

I don't usually leap up and down with glee and hang out the bunting when another sit-com pops up on television, as there's something depressingly machine-like in the way softly-drawn characters yammer out lame one-liners in flimsy plots in front of an audience who seem eternally accepting to chuckle at even the most poorest pay-off joke.

So what is it then with Miranda, the new Miranda Hart vehicle, that has me warming to it when I should probably switch over to another channel? Now I don't know much about the woman except the dreadful Hyperspace, but she shines here in a semi-surreal set-up that contains occassional cutaway sequences that seem lightly based on Family Guy's 'I remember the time when..' digressions. The whole gist of the thing is Hart's problematic journey through life, love and everything while dealing with part-ownership of a bric-a-brac shop, and it's handled with a surprisingly jolly warmth that would seem off-putting if done with less sincerity. Amiable to a fault, it contains a smattering of good jokes and situations and navigates a steady course while avoiding the choppy waters of bucolic, forced happiness. And Hart also breaks the business of the 'Fourth Wall' by addressing the viewer/audience with cheery aplomb.

It's also notable for a rare foray into comedy by Patricia Hodge, who plays Hart's mum, which makes a change after seeing her play so many icy, stiffly glacial characters (including Thatcher) that threatened to shit marble (cheers, Peter Shaffer). She pulls it off nicely indeed.

All told, worth a try. It's sweet stuff indeed, but it has the quality of endearment, which is rare. Give it a go, see what you think.

Miranda

Oh, Ian.

Just when I thought we were bonding..

Comment

Miranda

Oh, Tony.

Comment

Miranda

Oh Gangster...and so on.

Comment

Miranda

Oh, Ian.

Blimey, you make us both sound like an Araldite commercial. No, it's just one of those small, pleasant surprises that I thought I'd not really get to like. I can think of other half-hours I'd avoid like the plague, but this one passes the time with maximum amiability. That's the trouble, I expect, there's some good stuff out there and there's other stuff which should be on the Marmite Channel: you either like or you don't. No inbetween.

Comment

Miranda

It's awful, but it's one of those awful sitcoms that always seems to be on when I'm doing nothing else so I end up seeing every episode. Which says more about me, I suppose.

Comment

Miranda

P seems to like it, but I find it so utterly painful to watch I have to leave the room. And I've been known to watch Strictly, so reticent am I to tear my eyes away from the shit-pump.

Comment

Miranda

I agree with Ian. It's not the sort of thing I'd expect to enjoy but there's something really endearing about it. I wouldn't make a point of watching it if it was on at a different time, but when it comes on straight after University Challenge I'll happily leave the channel-changer untouched by my side.

Comment

Miranda

Good to hear positive reports on this, I've got the series so far Sky+ed as Miranda hart has always made me laugh even on so-so stuff like Hyperdrive and the Lee Mack/Tim Vine thing I can never remember the name of.

Am I right in thinking that Ian is denying that sitcom is TV's single greatest format? Surely not?

Comment

Miranda

Harry Truscott wrote:
                    even on so-so stuff like Hyperdrive and the Lee Mack/Tim Vine thing I can never remember the name of.
                    Not Going Out. I really like that show...

Comment

Miranda

Am I right in thinking that Ian is denying that sitcom is TV's single greatest format? Surely not?

Rest easy, I'm not and I'd have to be a complete and proper berk to reject the reality that the form of sitcom is built on the foundations of some pretty monumental work (take a bow, Galton and Simpson), but I can't exactly say I like sitcoms all that much right now. With the odd exception, it's not exactly an enticing prospect for me personally. I haven't seen and don't really much have interest in Outnumbered, for example, even though I'm completely aware that it's garnering some excellent reviews, has a good following and has pocketed awards somewhere down the line.

I can't explain it fully. It's a format that I've slowly fallen out of love with, despite its all too apparent strengths. Which is why I'm surprising myself by liking Miranda.

Comment

Miranda

Ian, do catch up with Outnumbered. It really is very good indeed. Perhaps more ruefully well-observed than chockful of laugh out loud moments but it's extremely engaging and the performances of the kids are extraordinary.

Comment

Miranda

I almost feel dirty for saying this but I'm really enjoying "Miranda", it's one of the few comedies on the box at the moment that properly makes me laugh out loud with a proper belly laugh.

If that previous statement hasn't made everyone doubt my comedic critical faculties can I also suggest people check out "Gary Tank Commander" on the iPlayer (it's currently only available on Scottish BBC2 and online), which is also making me laugh.

Comment

Miranda

Gary, Tank Commander immediately follows Miranda in Scotland. After a slow start, the former is growing on me for reasons I can't quite put my finger on, and Miranda definitely has its moments. There's something charmingly old fashioned about it I think.

Comment

Miranda

Well I think it's a pile of shit.

And if any of you lot start wimperingly talking up 'Big Top' as 'charmingly old fashioned' or somesuch I'm out of here.

Comment

Miranda

No, Big Top is fucking horrible. So bad I thought I was watching ITV.

Comment

Miranda

I like Miranda, a lot.

Comment

Miranda

ian.64 wrote:
                                    It's also notable for a rare foray into comedy by Patricia Hodge, who plays Hart's mum, which makes a change after seeing her play so many icy, stiffly glacial characters (including Thatcher) that threatened to shit marble (cheers, Peter Shaffer). She pulls it off nicely indeed.
                                    I only realised a few years ago that the crush I had on Patricia Hodge in 'Rumpole' when I was about 11/12 (and the same feelings at that time for Jane Asher) might have been lying dormant for decades until I met my wife who reminds me of them at their peak.

Comment

Miranda

No, Big Top is fucking horrible. So bad I thought I was watching ITV.

I saw five minutes of this and couldn't quite believe it. It felt like being in the '70's again, where awesomely bad sitcoms regularly rubbed shoulders with the classics. Well done Beeb, bringin' back the good times!

Comment

Miranda

I watched this again last night and one bit made me laugh out loud, a few others were jolly funny but most of it was just tired, signposted genre-rot. I suppose it could be something that hits its stride in the second series.

Comment

Working...
                                        X