Gavin & Stacey III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gavin & Stacey III

Man, I dunno, it's starting to really irritate me. The bit with Smithy pretend-flirting with Alison Steadman and Julia Davis was tired and lame. I watch it for the location-spotting now, and the hope of one good line each from Nessa and Bryn.

Comment

Gavin & Stacey III

Irritating just about sums it up for me too. Has there been a noticeable drop in quality with this series? I have seen the odd episode from earlier series but not enough to compare effectively.

Comment

Gavin & Stacey III

Yeah, I think it's on the slide.

Comment

Gavin & Stacey III

You know what, it probably is going off a bit but there is plenty there to make it worth watching and the show still has something that nothing else currently on TV posseses.

Maybe they should have wrapped up the loose ends with one or two hour long episodes over Xmas and NY instead of a full series as there is a sense that they are filling in the gaps between the next Smithy and Nessa plot advancement with set pieces like the christening, the lads night out and a day at the beach. They are relying on the charm, warmth and whatever else mentioned upthread to get them through it but they succeed.

I am furious about the Xmas Day episode though, Porthcawl gives Ruth Jones everything she has and then she transplants our Elvis convention to Barry while having Gwen diss our beaches. Judas.

Comment

Gavin & Stacey III

Oh, and the scenes of Dave Coaches in the summertime confirm that he always dresses exactly the same as OTF's own Bored would in any given circumstances.

Comment

Gavin & Stacey III

Barry Island beach looks really nice, the way G&S shot it. Maybe it actually is really nice and I just take it for granted.

The bit with Bryn oiling up Gavin's dad was awesomely cringeworthy. I couldn't watch.

Comment

Gavin & Stacey III

Oh, and the scenes of Dave Coaches in the summertime confirm that he always dresses exactly the same as OTF's own Bored would in any given circumstances.
                Oi!

You're right, like

Comment

Gavin & Stacey III

A decent enough ending then. I actually think that this is one of the most beautifully written British sitcoms ever. It's success is partly due to the strength of the supporting cast, particularly Alison Steadman and Rob Brydon. Their skill rinsed the most out of already great scripts. Corden is actually a pretty great actor, his turn in Mike Leigh's All or Nothing is testament to that, and Ruth Jones may just be the genius behind all of this, her collegues lack of success elsewhere seem to suggest this.
                  I shall miss this marvellous little series, and hope it remains untouched and unrevived for many a long day.

Loved the Prescott cameo, by the way.

Comment

Gavin & Stacey III

Yeah, good final episode. Nessa owned it. Gave all the now-iconic lines you'd want from her, and delivered them brilliantly.

Quite surprised by sappy Stacey's "really?!" outburst at the wedding. Very out of character. But I suppose that was the point.

Poor old Dave Coaches. Admirable stoicism from the nicotine-haired hero.

When they did the big sweeping shot over Barry, I could see my mum's house.

Comment

Gavin & Stacey III

Lame ending to a lame (third) series I'm afraid.

So, this fishing trip...?

Comment

Gavin & Stacey III

Corden is actually a pretty great actor

Yep, his portrayal of the mouse in The Gruffalo was magnificent.

Comment

Gavin & Stacey III

I've only just found out that when you frolic in the sands of Whitmore Bay, you're frolicking in Fred West's ashes. I wonder if that informed Corden and Jones' decision to go with the serial killer surname motif in G&S.

Comment

Gavin & Stacey III

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                            Yeah, good final episode. Nessa owned it. Gave all the now-iconic lines you'd want from her, and delivered them brilliantly.

Quite surprised by sappy Stacey's "really?!" outburst at the wedding. Very out of character. But I suppose that was the point.

Poor old Dave Coaches. Admirable stoicism from the nicotine-haired hero.

When they did the big sweeping shot over Barry, I could see my mum's house.
                            Yeah, I thought it was a lovely finale. Worth a relatively patchy series to get there in the end.

Dave Coaches turning out to be a hero was perhaps the most touching part, accepting despair like a true City supporter.

Comment

Working...
                            X