Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll

The Dury's still out on this one.
    Ian Dury and the Blockhead's are great, the first single I ever bought was 'Reasons To Be Cheerful'. Not sure if I can get used to the idea of Gollum playing him, but that might just be me typecasting him. Some of the other cast reads like a cockney movie who's who, but I suppose a biopic of Ian Dury couldn't really do otherwise. At least Danny Dyer's not in it I suppose.

The cast list isn't printed on the link but I wouldn't be surprised if Mackenzie Crook was playing Norman Watt-Roy.

Comment

It's kinda sad that the so-called Brit film h'industry keeps churning out these naff pop biopics. All of them are little more than rickety vehicles for hip surface stylisation and tie-in soundtracks of contemporaneous chart hits. I cant off the top of my head think of anybody better placed to emulate Dury than Serkis, though.

Comment

I'll be off to watch this at the end of the month.

And I prefer to judge each pop biopic on it's own GT. Control wasn't 'naff' was it?

Comment

Just saw it, and Serkis is excellent. Nicely put together, good edits and such. Fortunately MacKenzie Crook is only in it for the first 10 minutes or so.

Comment

Cavalry Trouser Tips wrote:
            I'll be off to watch this at the end of the month.

And I prefer to judge each pop biopic on it's own GT. Control wasn't 'naff' was it?
            I thought Control was ok,the chap that played Ian Curtis put in a champion performance. The film looked good and felt good.

I would expect the same for this Ian Dury biopic?.

Comment

Saw it yesterday-really good, Serkis amazing and the great Peter Blake animated sequences just part of the way that they've avoided chronology, predictability etc that might otherwise dog a biopic of this kind.

I shed a tear when he sang 'Sweet Gene Vincent' at the end.
              But then I always do to that song, ever since I heard them do it at the Dusseldorf Philipshalle in 79 and Ian Dury beautifully sang (rather than growled or shouted) the opening bit. Ah to be 16 again and pretend that night was for the rest of our lives (to [badly] paraphrase Lester Bangs).

Comment

Thumbs up from me and chums FWIW. Serkis is exceptional.

Comment

Working...
                X