Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A real tear-jerker

A film review, published in NZ press today:

The author Elizabeth Knox lay in bed and cried for days after watching Niki Caro's film adaptation of her acclaimed book The Vintner's Luck.

Knox, who got to see the film only days before its first public showing, says she was shocked and upset by how much it departed from her story.

"She took out what the book was actually about, and I was deeply surprised and deeply puzzled by it, because I don't know why she did it."

The film did have virtues, including its visual beauty and the actors' performances, Knox said.

"But I kept expecting the story that I'd written to happen."

The movie opened in New Zealand last week. It has received a critical drubbing both here and overseas, but Knox has kept her reaction quiet until now because she wanted viewers to decide for themselves.

The book centres on a 19th-century gay romance between an angel, Xas, and a French peasant winemaker, Sobran Jodeau.

But the film reduced that relationship to little more than the angel giving advice about wine, Knox said.

"The film doesn't do the gay romance. It has a vague gay flirtation that amounts to nothing and it has quite a lot of heterosexual sex in it."

Immediately after seeing it, Knox wrote an email to Caro praising much of the movie but also calling it a "betrayal" for its treatment of the relationship. She received a response that was polite, but a "great big cop-out", she said.
    Oh dear.

Two things emerge from this fixture. First, a public service: Knox might have saved you a couple of hours. Second, feel free to suggest other authors who have reacted in similar fashion - or maybe, should have.

A real tear-jerker

The creators of Judge Dredd?

(Sorry for the seeming triviality, but I was a 2000AD fan.)

Comment

A real tear-jerker

Alan Moore, as well. Though I don't know whether he actually cried.

Comment

A real tear-jerker

Alan Moore has probably got many reasons to cry (for the purposes of this thread).

I wonder if Stan Lee has ever really objected to an adaptation of his stuff?

Comment

A real tear-jerker

The Dredd thing is not trivial dude; that movie is a travesty.

With stan lee, there's been so much ret-conning, re-writing and reinventing of Marvel characters by the company itself, I don't see how he could have a major problem with, say, Daredevil. Even if it was shit.

Comment

A real tear-jerker

The book centres on a 19th-century gay romance between an angel, Xas, and a French peasant winemaker, Sobran Jodeaup
            I thought angels were asexual.

Comment

A real tear-jerker

evilC wrote:
              The creators of Judge Dredd?

(Sorry for the seeming triviality, but I was a 2000AD fan.)
              Possible good news for Dredd fans.

Comment

A real tear-jerker

I thought angels were asexual.

Not according to the Gospel of Barbarella.

Comment

A real tear-jerker

Too bad for Niki Caro, because Whale Rider is/was tremendous.

I was incredibly pissed about Judge Dredd, but hope they can get the humor this time (and not Rob Schneider humor. That ol' Judge Dredd humor.)

Here's a real neat article/post about authors that hated their adaptations.

Brian Garfield hating Death Wish was quite interesting. In the book, the architect kills near the end, to prove he's in control of his life. Meanwhile, the film has Charles Bronson as The Punisher fromt he start.

Other interesting ones are Stephen King hating The Shining and Stanislaw Lem hating both Solaris's.

Comment

A real tear-jerker

Brian Garfield was a schlub who thought he was writing art, although his vision of someone like Jack lemmon playing the vigilante makes more dramatic sense than Charlie Bronson. The difference between Kubrick's 'The Shining' and King's is that Kubrick doesnt believe in ghosts whereas King really does. Consequently Stan the man's film is powerful and frightening and King's book and subsequent mini-series is just dumb.

Comment

A real tear-jerker

Love the post, GT, and welcome, but can you clarify how the belief in ghosts would've affected both the film and tv series ?

Comment

A real tear-jerker

Hey jase. Thanks for the hello. In essence, Stanley Kubrick's film is about how the family unit can facilitate madness. It's 'ghosts' are manifestations of the characters (primarily jack's) psychological dissonances. Stephen King's book and tv series are about 'ghosts' as as actual, separate paranormal entities impinging on the Torrance family life.

If you're interested, there's a really quite impressive and detailed analysis of Kubrick's film here http://www.collativelearning.com/the%20shining.html which discusses, amongst many other ideas and issues, how Kubrick's vision differs from King's.

Comment

Working...
                        X