Mad Woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad Woman

I've been at a conference for a few days and a fellow attendee and I got talking to a woman at the bar. Seems she works for a well known ad agency and was in town pitching to a pharmaceutical company.

She was getting quite drunk and began to rant about her job.

She joined the industry, she said, with high hopes of being creative and setting high standards for innovative ads but all she does is think up new ways to say "Ask Your Doctor" and there aren't many.

Then, having had her approach accepted by the pharm company she has to try and recruit actors who can look convincing in a stethoscope from the props department while intoning those words.

She also said that most of the actors are just as bitter, seeing their dreams of taking Broadway by storm as the next great Desdemona or Hamlet reduced to saying "Ask Your Doctor" while, they say, all the work goes to ex-rappers or ex-wrestlers.

She became incoherent after her seventh ot ninth Kamikaze and stumbled away, presumably to her room.

She must be well compensated for her travails. I saw her driving away in a new Merc.

A very bitter woman.

Mad Woman

Probably with good reason, although I've little sympathy. Working in advertising was probably a good, lucrative laugh for a few people in the 70s and 80s, but it's hardly the reason anyone picks up a pen or treads the boards, is it. You get paid compromise money, same as for any commercial, or governmental, use of "creative" skills, so of course you're going to feel compromised.

Comment

Working...
    X