BBC America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC America

Shouldn't this be called the Gordon Ramsey Channel? There must be thousands of things they could show but all we get is thus foul-mouthed bully.

BBC America

BBC America sucks. Sucks big time. It's really a shame to think what they could show, but would rather have endless repeats of Cash In The Attic. They showed Spaced one weekend and I missed it--that was the only time they've shown it.

Comment

BBC America

If you want top-notch British produced programming in North America then tune into the PBS stations.

BBC America and BBC Canada will always show the "lowest common denominator" programs, the cheap to make and higher profit margin stuff that goes well with the focus groups.

Comment

BBC America

M_L_M, unfortunately all my local PBS station airs is "Are You Being Served?," though they do have the BBC news with Matt Frei.

Comment

BBC America

BBCA used to have The Office and Monty Python. No longer?

Comment

BBC America

I was thinking about Matt Frei this morning, spookily enough: he went to the same posh school as my ex-gf, along with Nick Lezard, Henry Winter and that OK-but-not-spectacular actress who's married to Trevor Nunn. Stubbs. Imogen Stubbs.

He's the pick of them, I think. Properly bright, properly serious, with what looks to me like real journalistic integrity. An old-fashioned Beeb heavyweight, except with a very slight Cherman eccent. So, er, count your blessings, America.

(Vicarious name-dropping, how pathetic is that?)

Comment

BBC America

A couple of my best friends went to the same school and knocked around with the Theroux brothers and Nick Clegg, laughed at Helena Bonham-Carter swanning around in Edwardian garb (even then) and were occasionally bullied by Gavin Rossdale.

Name-dropped you back.

Comment

BBC America

I'm a Frei fan too. His Katrina coverage was excellent

Comment

BBC America

BBC News America is good and I am an admirer of Matt Frei but really that is not good enough. The BBC archives has to be stuffed with good material that has to be worth showing. I don't mind "Are You Being Served" every once in a while or any of the other comedies but Gordon Ramsey, "How Clean Is Your House?", "You Are What You Eat", every day, c'mon!

"Monty Python" was shown here on the IFC (also showing "The Prisoner"); BBCA didn't even acknowledge the anniversary of one of it's true ground breaking programs.

The PBS station here doesn't show much British stuff - "Masterpiece Theater", "Masterpiece Mystery" occasionally. The PBS station we got in New Mexico was very different - "The Avengers", good cop shows with Clive Owen, Robson Green.

We pay through the nose to get the package with BBCA. If we could, I'd be tempted to drop it.

Comment

BBC America

adams house cat wrote:
                    The PBS station here doesn't show much British stuff - "Masterpiece Theater", "Masterpiece Mystery" occasionally.
                    I've never heard of those. They must have different titles over here.

Comment

BBC America

Kind of banner titles for 'prestige' presentations - usually classic dramas by Austen, Dickens etc. that the BBC do so well. I seem to remember being told that the title was first used when PBS showed "The Forsyte Saga" years ago. Masterpiece Mystery is used for "Inspector Lewis" and similar.

Comment

BBC America

Yeah, it's a PBS title for presentations of various programs, some British.

Now that I think of it, our local PBS station also shows Poirot and did show Prime Suspect when it was on.

Comment

BBC America

Up here in Canada I get a few PBS stations on cable from Boston, Buffalo and TVO (Ontario) which carry quite a lot of British programming. A fair bit also turns up on various cable channels such as A&E, Showcase, Vision TV and others.

The CBC and CTV also end up showing some decent Brit dramas (usually in the summer when the US networks are only shoving out the reality crap).

Comment

BBC America

BBC America thinks Americans "won't get" QI. I've been interested in seeing this, and I think it could be a big hit here among the NPR demographic (NPR's news-quiz show "Wait, Wait" is a big hit, and one of the top podcasts on iTunes).

Comment

BBC America

That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. Are they really trying to claim that licensing a few still images is more expensive than, say, licensing even a single popular song - as is done by TV companies routinely?

Comment

Working...
                              X