Up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up.

I feel dreadfully slight in saying this, but Up, in 3D, along with the brilliant pre-film short "Partly Cloudy" is an astonishingly wonderful way of spending an hour-and-a-half or so.

Anyone else, erm, quite like it?

Up.

Yes, though I didn't see it in 3D.
    It's the last movie I've watched, largely thanks to having a kid wobbling round the house, a couple of months ago, and I'm quite glad that we picked this one rather than one we might no have enjoyed so much. Though

***not really spoilers but anyway ahead***

I wasn't really prepared to start crying ten minutes into it. My wife's been to Fenton's Creamery, also.

***end of slight spoilers***

Comment

Up.

I went to see it with The Lovely Mrs Gymshorts, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Start to finish it's just a lovely film and, I have to admit, I even cried a little. That inital 10 minutes was so sweet that the pay-off did come as a shock......

Great fun though, and if a better animal character than Dug comes along, I'll eat my hat.

Comment

Up.

So. Not the Russ Meyer one, then?

Comment

Up.

I considered mentioning that, but people tend to look at you funny when you say you're a Russ Meyer fan....

Comment

Up.

I'm not surprised. I'm a fan, to an extent, but not for the obvious reason. But I shouldn't wish to derail this thread any longer.

Comment

Up.

One more vote for Up from me, I thought it was wonderful. Mrs Gary cried like a baby, but being the stoical sort that I am, I pretended I just had something in my eye.

Comment

Up.

Saw it in 3D a few weeks ago. The adults enjoyed it more than the children.

Comment

Up.

Another thumbs Up for up from myself and Mrs Max, who went through a couple of hankies during the film. Superb animation and although it meandered a little bit in the second half, it got there.

Comment

Up.

Another vote from me, I havent seen an animated film in ages and I was amazed at the detail of it. Fantastic story too.

Comment

Up.

I watched this on a flight somewhere over the Atlantic in the early hours of Tuesday morning. Have to say, it managed to find a vulnerable spot and got to me more than somewhat.

Comment

Up.

I haven't seen it as I'm not a fan of the genre, but the Fenton's inclusion is because Pixar studios are near Oakland, Calif. Not the greatest ice cream parlor in the area but a very popular landmark.

Comment

Up.

Just seen this today. It's good, but not outstanding. You can tell that it's an expanded short with a few other half-baked ideas left over from other, unmade movies thrown in. The whole things ends up like James and the Giant Peach meets The Crimson Permanent Assurance by way of a Kia-Ora advert.

Comment

Up.

I haven't seen it as I'm not a fan of the genre
                            What genre would that be?

Comment

Up.

Cried my eyes out.

TWICE!!

Disney films do not need to do that to people. Fucking hell, even Bambi's Mum only got shot the once.

Mind you, once when I cried it was when the Dog said "Because I love you", so that was probably just me being too susceptible to it.

I still weep like a baby every time ET's on telly at Xmas, and I know how that pans out.

Comment

Up.

One of the unforeseen bonuses of having a child is that you can sneak off to the cinema on a miserable November afternoon to watch a film you otherwise wouldn't have bothered with.

Anyway, I took my daughter (who's 3 in a couple of weeks) to see Up on Saturday and wasn't sure if she'd be old enough to sit still for 90 minutes. She said she liked it, especially the Doug character. I enjoyed it and found it quite heartwarming, although I didn't get remotely tearful, which is unusual for me as it doesn't take much to set me off these days. I suspect the presence of dozens of noisy children in the cinema diminished the emotional experience somewhat. I haven't watched them all, but that was the best Pixar film I've seen since Toy Story.

Comment

Up.

Count me as enchanted too.

A gleeful romp that is at times surprisingly, piercingly moving.

The quickly-told tale of the couple at the beginning is so affecting in part because the face of the young girl is echoed so strongly in the face of the old woman.

A effect that must be deliberate and which frames the advantages of animation as well as any soaring blue sky.

Comment

Up.

i thought it was generally pretty sucky, with the exception of the brief episodes concerning the main character's marriage, which reduced me to tears like everyone else. rumpus has come up with one reason why it's so moving, i can't think of any other good ones, but somehow something powerful is happening there.

Comment

Up.

Yeah, that opening sequence and the other bits with the scrapbook certainly tugged the heart strings. The experience of nearly crying whilst wearing comedy 3D glasses is a strange one.

I wasn't all that fussed with rest of it, though.

Comment

Working...
                                      X