V2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V2

So come on then? Who's like me and getting a bit excited about the return of V?

V2

Me, but I don't want to get my expectations *too* high. It can't ever be like it was when me and my sisters stayed up really late to watch it and were addicted & terrified.

Comment

V2

First episode not bad at all. Some, OK, lots of annoying formulaic stuff, single parents with troublesome teens, lone voices of reason getting lost in collective madness, dimwitted fiancees getting the wrong end of the stick about their secretive important boyfriends. And the modernising of the political themes - mainly religious fundamentalism, and terror-of-terrorism-ism, couldn't help but be a little clunky in places. But a terrific last 10 minutes means I'll watch ep 2 now.

Good things: Wash; Inara looking amazing with cropped hair; the spaceship interiors and exteriors; the old fashioned fabness of a resistance as a subject for drama.

Bad things: I find Juliet from Lost even more annoying than Penny who currently stars in Falshforward. No hot guys at all, either.

Comment

V2

I have the second episode downloading at the moment. This show does suffer a little from the current American vogue for trying to have too many substantial subplots everywhere. It ends up with a lot of them being boring or off topic (See Heroes and a couple episodes of Flash Forward) and the story basically not moving for 1,2,3 episodes.

That said, we got to the resistance very quickly. I'd have liked to see the early part of the story better paced, rather than throwing a whole bunch of subplot characters at us in one hit.

Comment

V2

Yeah, that's a good point. I don't know how many episodes this is planned to be.

I liked it when the vicious predatory alien disguised as a beautiful woman said 'we want everyone to have access to our healing technology' and someone else said 'what?!?!? you mean...universal healthcare?' and she said 'yes' with an evil glint in her eye just as if he'd said 'you mean...kill us all for food' which is obv their real plan.

Comment

V2

I'm enjoying it so far. I think they've made some correct choices in direction, so it has good potential.

I can't help but add "because we're going to eat you" every time the visitors ask for something.

But the teenage kid needs to die. Sooner rather than later.

oh... and is Morris Chestnut not hot?

Comment

V2

Please tell me that they don't eat mice.

Comment

V2

Houdi Elbow wrote:
                Please tell me that they don't eat mice.
                And are the aliens as embarrassingly bad at shooting as I remember them to be?

That said, I loved V. But I don't think I'd enjoy it as an adult.

Comment

V2

Oh come on. They have to eat mice soon. The two best scenes from the original were

potential spoilers? maybe?

Anna distending her jaw to eat the guinea pig - genuine surprise! and wossname child giving birth to the lizard baby - gleeful expectations of gruesomeness amply fulfilled.

Chestnut is too perfect, he's tall and handsome and so on, but he's too kind and nice and movie star looking somehow and his character is too good and brave. I mean, sure, you would, but there's just something lacking when someone is that perfect. maybe.

Comment

V2

Episode 3 was good fun. The whole artificial constructed place for minds to meet was nicely done, although that plus the blonde girl's big seduction plan and talk of 'the one' are both very Cylon. As is all the religious angst as well. I like the cynical edge of the media bits of the plot, that's working, and it would be great if the 5th column stuff could start to tie in with that somehow, have them engage with the way the visitors' propaganda is pretty subtly orchestrated. It's still got a lovely old-fashioned feel to it, this show.

Comment

V2

So, Lyra, do you think I'd like this? Most of what I've read has been negative. It sounds very heavy handed.

Comment

V2

Well, no, I think it's worth a try. There's an underlying engagement with a 'serious' '80s sci-fi vibe, kind of attempts at formality and structure that reveal an interesting relationship with the source material. Which is I'm sure where the 'heavy-handed' criticism stems from. In that way, it's got stuff in common with TTSCC, as well as BSG for example; the history of the actual story and the political contexts of its old and new incarnations give a kind of immediate texture. There's some dirty rawness under the shiny surface. And so you have the superficialities of the 'gorgeous chicks who are actually lethal aliens/robots who will get you with their dangerous sexualities if they don't shoot you first' power-trip stuff and the more profound implications of '*they* have been living amongst us for a generation and we never knew it' (just like the original TV/films live in our culture for generations, blah, &c &c) stuff. And the body-horror/clone/monster/chimera tapping into your grossest fears about hybrid kids thing which is the natural consequence of the two.

I think it's like any number of shows, really, I am interested enough in the world they're creating to want to keep watching, and that's something that's less easy to really pin down the reasons for, but perhaps shouldn't be dismissed especially when something's quite new.

all of which is an absurdly long winded way of saying yes, why not give it a go. It's no worse than Flashforward, that's for sure.

Comment

V2

There's an underlying engagement with a 'serious' '80s sci-fi vibe, kind of attempts at formality and structure that reveal an interesting relationship with the source material. Which is I'm sure where the 'heavy-handed' criticism stems from.
                          To be honest, it was mainly the healthcare thing I was thinking about when I wrote that.

It's no worse than Flashforward, that's for sure.
                          Hmmm - not sure that's such a great recommendation any more. Still, I'll give it a shot. Need my sci-fi fix.

Comment

V2

I think the healthcare thing was a joke. Well, I laughed.

Comment

Working...
                            X