The Thick of It - "Series Two"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stop/start nature of the show's previous broadcasts makes it seem wierd that we're only officially on the second series but that's what they're calling it.

Back on BBC2/HD at 10.10pm this Saturday the 24th. Very excited.

My wife's cousin plays Robyn Murdoch.

That's all.

Comment

Ace. So glad this is back. Proper telly...

Comment

One of my favourite ever TV shows.

Comment

It's not the same without Langham.

Comment

It's a pity they haven't brought Langham back, but I think the writing and the other characters are easily strong enough that he won't be too much missed. Anyway, it sounds like Rebecca Front is replacing him as minister, and I wuv her.

Comment

It's a pity they haven't brought Langham back, but I think the writing and the other characters are easily strong enough that he won't be too much missed.

I only saw a couple of the Langham episodes previously, but I caught a couple of the specials as well as enjoying (immensely) its big-screen spin-off, In The Loop, so I'll be looking forward to the new series. It carries that quality that old duffer, Leslie Halliwell, used to say about The Godfather - it has the fascination of a snake pit.

Comment

Looking forward to it also.

I've only watched In The Loop this week and thought it was good if taken on its own merit but, for me, never really hitting the sublime heights of The Thick Of It. Few things do though. The deleted scenes are very good on the DVD. Mostly funnier than the actual film, but entirely understandable that they were cut as they were making a film and not a selection of sketches.

A better taster for the new series is the Spinners And Losers special which is on BBC4 at 00.25 Friday night/Saturday morning.

Comment

Some very nice moments in episode 1. Rebecca Front came across as a lot less knowing than I was expecting. For some reason I was expecting her to be the Charlotte Fraser character on "A Partridge Over Britain" from "Knowing Me Knowing You", but am relieved that it wasn't the case.

Comment

Yeah, I thought Rebecca Front played it well.

Very good first episode, even if the 'I am bent' thing was pushing it a bit. The usual fantastic script, though, and it's a joy to have it back on the telly.

Comment

I thought this was superb - every bit as good as anything from the previous two series with the dialogue typically razor sharp.

I've missed this.

Comment

TMA wrote:

even if the 'I am bent' thing was pushing it a bit.
                        That was one of the most accurate parts, there are dozens such shots every year where a slogan behind a politician is cropped for humorous effect. Every time Gordon brown sits within a stone's throw of an exit sign it's front page of the Telegraph.

Excellent show, a bit of a slow build to an fantastic ending. The "walkie talkie" line had me choking with laughter.

I frequently have to go back over some scenes to get all the excellent dialogue, sometimes with the subtitles on (especially for Malcolm). They managed to mangle his line about being " a fairy fucking godfather...with a blackberry and a chiv" to "blackberry and a chiff" which threw me.

Comment

I miss the Tory MP from the first of the specials (I tuck in my shirt as part of getting dressed. Shall I leave my flies undone as well?) but Rebecca Front bodes very well.

Comment

The opposition will be back so I've read. Hope they get their own episode for extended bouts of Peter Mannion MP doing battle again with his party's idiotic PR guy.

Comment

I saw a preview of the series on the BBC site, which I can't be arsed to provide a link to. It does indeed have the Peter Mannion character, and also the hapless Ben Swain.

Comment

I've come to this late, having only seen a special a couple of months ago. Really excellent stuff. But can anyone explain why it's still "series 2" - the announcer before the programme said it was series 3.

Oh, and here's Armando Ianucci's week in last Sunday's Observer:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserve...mando-iannucci

Comment

The announcer is an idiot. There has been one full series and two specials. This is the second series proper.

Comment

Correct.

Really enjoyed the first episode and can only hope that the quality control remains at a high level for the rest of the series (I suspect it may well do so). One face that's definitely missing is Tucker's attack dog, Jamie, played by a worryingly convincing Paul Higgins, who, if anything, seemed to be even more of a threat than Capaldi's character - bark and bite combined.

Either I haven't been paying attention or, on the evidence of the first episode, they've upped Tucker's venality quotient to compensate for his abscence.

Either way, spiffing viewing, nontheless.

Comment

I like the way Olly is growing some balls and trying to be a bit Malcolm-like, with his put-downs to Glenn and Terri (but only when the real Malcolm's not around).

Rebecca Front was brilliant. I like the way that rather than being a complete doormat, her character has a small amount of guile and self-preservation. It'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

The "I Am Bent" photo op thing is as old as the hills. I remember the Not The Nine O'Clock News book had a picture of Margaret Thatcher at some sort of Christian conference, in front of a sign saying 'I Am The Way, The Truth And The Life', and the caption said 'The Prime Minister in confident mood at Blackpool'.

The Malcolm Tucker phrase that I'm gonna remember for ever from episode 1 is the one about state schools being "knife-addled rape sheds".

By the way, this is officially Series 3 according to the BBC website. Don't shoot the messenger...

Comment

What's a chiv?

Comment

I assumed he meant shiv.

Comment

What's a shiv?

Comment

This, I think.

Comment

SR, it's usually used to describe a knife you make yourself in prison.

Comment

That's what I'd call a 'chib'.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X