So, London cinemas, then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, London cinemas, then

I'm going to be in London for a week at the end of the month. I'm looking to take advantage of the wider range of films shown there. I've only tried the BFI website and the line-up for Southbank isn't doing a lot for me. Can the London residents tell me the other cinemas that show classic films, be it World cinema or otherwise?

So, London cinemas, then

Sometimes big chains like Odeon or Cineworld show the odd classic, and the Prince Charles Cinema might do also.

http://www.londonnet.co.uk/cinema/index.html is an a-z of London cinemas and London films.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

The Everyman?

The Barbican.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

Nil Arshavin wrote:
        I'm going to be in London for a week at the end of the month.
        OTF-athon?

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

The Prince Charles is your best bet in general. Some cinemas have classic film days. The Electric does on a Sunday, I think, as does the Rio.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

Thanks all, I'll check out their listings on the 25th to see what I can go to that week.

As regards an OTF-athon, It's meant to be a romantic week with my better half but if there was a OTF cultural/drinking gathering I'd be happy to come along.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

Check out the Phoenix,in East Finchley, believed to be the "oldest purpose-built continuously serving cinema in the UK" and certainly the last surviving independent cinema in London.

The Riverside have a good rep programme. and the Cine Lumiere at the Institute Française

And the various Curzons are worth checking out. The Curxon Mayfair has the most beautiful interior in London.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

The ICA cinemas, of course.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

I think you can watch BFI archive stuff. Anyone know anything about this?

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

The Curxon Mayfair has the most beautiful interior in London.
                    Really? It's very funky, but I prefer Art Deco myself, like Muswell Hill.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

Tubby: it's easy.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

Cinemas should be art deco, just as churches should be Gothic. Except when they're classical, that is.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

Do you mean this Tubbs? http://www.bfi.org.uk/filmdownloads.html

edit, or maybe that

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

I quite like the idea of Art Deco churches and Gothic cinemas, though.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

The Ritzy in Brixton has a really cool bar and is part of the Picturehouse chain, so you'll see art house etc - it's where I saw both parts of Mesrine.

Fully support the calls for the Prince Charles. An absolute gem and cheap with it.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

gt3 when were you last at the Ritzy? They've switched the bar and box office around in the last couple of months which makes sense and is nicer for havign a coffee outside during the day but isn't quite so cool for pre film drinks.

The Ritzy is only a couple of minutes from my house so we do go there when stuff is on but it doesn't have the most comfortable seats in the world and the sound seems a little 'off'. On the plus side it has a great range of films, is cheap by London standards and people should keep an eye out for their weekend matinees. We saw OSS 117: Cairo Nest of Spies for less than a fiver each.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

Ricky L - Hi there, was there in August. Which was the first time I'd been. I know what you mean about the seats. After the plush recliningness of Greenwich Picturehouse they came as something of a shock. The picture and sound probably aren't as good as Greenwich PH,but the cost and range of movies is as you say a bonus.

I didn't have any issues with pre-dinner drinks save that it took so bloody long to get served!

Who the hell are Felchester Rovers?!

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

Felchester Rovers are my OFT Xpert eleven team. Some of the players have put their club there so we know who is who.

They are also Ricky Lenin's team in the short lived Lenin Of The Rovers off of Radio 4.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

Lyra, or anyone...

What are the ICA cinemas like? I want to see OSS 117 this weekend and my options are the ICA or Panton Street Odeon. Which is my best choice?

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

I'm a fan of the Panton Street Odeon, if that helps. I haven't been to a film at the ICA for decades but my memory is that it was quite rudimentary then.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

Is Panton St the one where you get a lift to the screens?

If not too fussed really as I'm just dyign to see OSS 117 but if one is noticably better than the other I'll take the nicer place.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

I don't think there's a lift, might that be the smaller of the Leicester Sq Odeons?

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

It could be... It's one of the Odeons around there but the last time I was there was to see Cecil B. Demented, so a fair time ago.

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

I love Greenwich PH, although i miss the leather sofas in the screening room downstairs. I wonder if they ever recovered the pint of London Pride I lost in one of them?

Comment

So, London cinemas, then

Prob too late,but ICA 1 is nicer & comfier than ICA2. You do get to go to the bar & look at the exhibition, which is much better than Panton St.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X