Elephant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elephant

When I get home from work (which will probably be at about 3am the way things are going), I intend to stick on Alan Clarke's infamous film about the North.

It's less than 40 minutes long, and it's supposed to be absolutely dripping in violence to a quite staggering degree.

If I get home early enough, I might watch The Firm (not the John Grisham movie) as well. Just the kind of double bill that will send me safely off to the Land of Nod.

Elephant

Thought this was going to be about Gus Van Sant's imagining of a high school massacre of the same name. It's well worth checking out and is on the short side too if you are pressed for time.

Comment

Elephant

Let me know about the Clark. Supposed to excellent.

The Firm is good as well, except for the final scene where Phil Mitchell says "ban us from football and we'll go to darts, snooker...". Actually, the last scene is OK really, it just puts me in mind of silly parody ("We'll go to golf, chess...")

Comment

Elephant

They're remaking The Firm. It looks... awful.

Comment

Elephant

I don't think I've ever seen a film like this before. It's brutally simple, in every sense.

You get a little jolt with every single death, and a big jolt with some of them. And the overwhelming matter-of-fact banality of each one is harrowing.

I've actually had to pause the thing and take a break from it for a few minutes. Thank god it's so short in duration.

Belfast looks as bleak as hell -- presumably this was shot over the winter of 88/89, which was a bloody cold one in the Republic.

Comment

Elephant

Production assistant
            Christine Sufferin

Assistant floor manager
            Stephen Killen
            There's black humour for you.

Elephant is here if anyone would like to watch it.

Comment

Elephant

Christ, it is excellent. It's a tough tough watch. I'd never heard of it before this thread, it turns out that Gus Van Sant borrowed heavily from it for his 2003 film that I mentioned earlier. Thanks for posting the link AB.

Comment

Working...
              X