UFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UFO

The wonder of the 'On Demand' doobrie on Virgin Media is that you can catch up with late '60's/'70's stuff that's shown on ITV4, one of those being the Gerry Anderson show, UFO, and it's worn badly in a strangely entertaining way. Once you get over the jarring fact that some of the leading actors are now dead, it's an unintentionally funny representation of what the 1980's will be when militaristic set-ups are created to combat aliens who want to conquer Earth, one such outfit lying under a film studio which is used as a front to disguise its operations.

Oh, the gaudy, silver-suited future, with '21st Century fashions by Sylvia Anderson'! Purple-haired women in catsuits operating a base on the moon, and a chief officer with a blonde hairstyle that shouts 'WIG!' (along with many strange mens' hairstyles - George Sewell's resembles a rat that decided to have a makeover before expiring on the afore-mentioned bloke's head) and a style of command suggesting a flustered man beset with a particularly harsh stomach problem.

The stories are pure comic strip, yet are done with an earnestness that endears, it's earnestness also bringing laughs which weren't entirely planned.

A fond, yet slightly crap revisitation.

UFO

I loved that series - particularly Ed Straker's car. (Though not the overwrought subplot about him using it to kill his son ...unintentionally, of course.)

Even then, as a boy, I questioned the logic of having Earth's last line of defence - the 'Interceptor' fighters - equipped with just one huge missile on the front!

On a slightly more serious note, the scenes of humans being 'converted', where they're forced to breathe a purple liquid are genuinely disturbing to anyone even slightly phobic of drowning/choking.

Comment

UFO

On a slightly more serious note, the scenes of humans being 'converted', where they're forced to breathe a purple liquid are genuinely disturbing to anyone even slightly phobic of drowning/choking.

Yeah, that was an unusual touch, although in an episode where Michael Billington's hunky ladeez man character is temporarily converted, I recall the liquid being green, which made the thought that aliens breathed Fairy Liquid even more disturbing (to a young mind, of course).

Comment

UFO

evilC wrote:
        Even then, as a boy, I questioned the logic of having Earth's last line of defence - the 'Interceptor' fighters - equipped with just one huge missile on the front!
        Heh. The Dinky toy was ace, though.

Comment

UFO

I can vouch for that, because I had one myself long ago in the mists of time. Now they're largely lucrative in terms of collectability, so much so that it's a small pity that there wasn't a 'warning' label on the packages of film/telly-associated toys like there is on cigarette packs: 'To lose huge amounts of dosh in twenty years time, simply open box'.

Comment

Working...
          X