X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dee Eee Ayy Dee

Simon Dee is no more.

Dee Eee Ayy Dee

That report suggests that he lived in "virtual obscurity" but that doesn't take account of the Simon Dee Paradox. That is, he was famous for the fact that he was no longer famous. If only he'd kept his original surname for work purposes."Henty-Dodd Time" would have been a great name for a TV show.

Comment

Dee Eee Ayy Dee

His daughter's name - Domino Henty-Dodd - is wonderful.

A name, rather like the reported lifestyle and self-knowingly smug televison personality of her father, was designed to get right up proletarian noses.

I rather liked Dee for that. He got the joke.

Comment

Dee Eee Ayy Dee

Dee Ceased.

Comment

Dee Eee Ayy Dee

Dee funked. Yeah.

Comment

Dee Eee Ayy Dee

During the credits to his show he was seen slipping a 45 rpm single into a record player in has car - a Jag, I think.

I thought that this was incredibly, impossibly cool.

For that alone, RIP.

Comment

Dee Eee Ayy Dee

I was named after him.

Comment

Dee Eee Ayy Dee

I only just found out that he passed away. It's remarkable just how quickly he fell from grace.

Another reminder of how limited exposure to pop music was on British TV during the late '60s.

Comment

Dee Eee Ayy Dee

I have to admit I'd totally forgotten about him. My Dad told me about this, the other day. I thought "wasn't he one of Guy Fawkes' co-conspirators?"

Comment

Dee Eee Ayy Dee

I read a book on Dee - 'Whatever Happened to Simon Dee?' - and it gave some account of what happened when Channel 4 gave him one comeback special, partly produced by one Victor Lewis Smith. I remember seeing it and it was a weird affair albeit handled by Dee with a sort of granddaddyish urbanity. The final edited product was, reportedly, a far cry from the actual, sloppily-handled (in Dee's eyes) production on the night which made him look as if he had no control over things, the low-point being an interview with Peter Wyngarde, who went one further than a guest would do on a chat show by not chatting at all.

Dee stormed off after recording and refused all calls to speak to the production team, his comeback chances demolished.

Comment

Working...
                    X