X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Brother is dead!

Great news, citizens...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8221995.stm

Okay, maybe it's not yet, but it's still good news.

Maybe now people will remember they have lives of their own and don't have to watch other peoples' as a surrogate existence.

Still - I bet they'll show fucking repeats of it!

Big Brother is dead!

Still one more poxy summer of it all over C4 to suffer though. I've never understood the appeal of this. Have tried watching a few times but never made it more than 5 minutes without wanting to shout at the TV.

Comment

Big Brother is dead!

Maybe now people will remember they have lives of their own and don't have to watch other peoples' as a surrogate existence.
      Couldn't you say the same of people who watch soap operas, dramas, movies, documentaries etc?

Comment

Big Brother is dead!

Having clicked on the Channel4 BB link I discover that this years show is STILL going. Bloody hell, I'd forgotten it was even on.

Mind you saying that I only found out that this weekend is a bank holiday yesterday. Life is full of surprises at the moment. I think I need a holiday.

Comment

Big Brother is dead!

Hofzinser wrote:
          Couldn't you say the same of people who watch soap operas, dramas, movies, documentaries etc?
          No.

Docs, dramas and films can be educational or somehow fulfilling. Soaps less so, I'll grant you.

But watching someone doing (banal) stuff that you do (or could do) in your daily life as a matter of course? That's just insane! You might as well sit in front of a mirror all evening.

Comment

Big Brother is dead!

Meh, they'll only replace it with something even more banal and soul destroying.

Comment

Big Brother is dead!

evilC wrote:

But watching someone doing (banal) stuff that you do (or could do) in your daily life as a matter of course? That's just insane! You might as well sit in front of a mirror all evening.
              I think if I found myself doing similar things to the squealing attention-seekers who inhabit this show then I would be tempted to hurl myself off the nearest tall building.

Comment

Big Brother is dead!

Docs, dramas and films can be educational or somehow fulfilling. Soaps less so, I'll grant you.

Documentaries, dramas, soap operas, films and, yes, Big Brother, can all, potentially at least, be fulfilling, educational, intelligent, thought-provoking and worthwhile. They can all also, potentially, be exactly the opposite and complete wastes of everyone's time.

There's a good case to be made that for much of its existence Big Brother fell into the latter category but then so do loads of films, dramas etc and the point remains that "watching other peoples' lives as a surrogate existence" could be said equally of all of them, including the really good stuff, and isn't unique to Big Brother or its viewers.

Comment

Big Brother is dead!

But I think that, from the off, it tried to appeal to 'gawpers' in the lowest-common-denominator kind of way. "Oooh, there's this show where you watch people all the time - one couple even had sex in the continental version!" It set itself up not as an anthropological study but as car-crash TV for the rubber-necking crowd. ...That, and it filled massive chunks of airtime for minimal outlay, whilst bringing in steady advertising revenue. It's as much this - the airtime that could be put to better use - that I resent.

Comment

Big Brother is dead!

I expect the final series will be populated by a worse than usual mixture of attention-seeking rectums and dregs of society, given that they only have one more "crack at fame" before C4 bulldozes the BB house into a landfill site (hopefully along with Davina MacCall).

Comment

Big Brother is dead!

Sean of the shed wrote:
                      I think if I found myself doing similar things to the squealing attention-seekers who inhabit this show then I would be tempted to hurl myself off the nearest tall building.
                      Ooo...I'd watch that.

Comment

Working...
                      X