Flickchart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flickchart

I am totally irretrievably addicted to Flickchart. It's really simple, it presents you with a 2 movies and you must choose one (or declare you haven't seen one/both for an alternative choice). Then in lists all the films you're ranked in order. It sounds ridiculous but it is impossible to stop.

Anyway if anyone wants an invite let me know.

Flickchart

Me me!

Comment

Flickchart

I sent off my e-mail address on the site, but didn't get anything back. Is it by invitation only?

If so, then Me me!, too.

Comment

Flickchart

They will send your invite eventually, it takes a while though, I had to wait about a week. but yeah, I got 4 invites left so pm me your emails?

Comment

Flickchart

PM for Lyra.

Comment

Flickchart

Ditto.

Comment

Flickchart

Cool. It's ridiculous but there's something really satisfying about being asked whether you prefer Solaris or Bad Santa.

Best choice I've had to make so far - 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days vs Knocked Up.

Comment

Flickchart

Well .. just as I returned to this thread, I got the little pop-up saying I'd received an invitation from Flickchart (quicker than you thought, Lyra).

So I go to register ... put a user name in, password, e-mail address.

Rejected: "Type another username" (already in use, I suppose - fair enough)

So I go back, do it all again with a different username. Rejected: "That e-mail address is already in use - type another e-mail address".

Grrr!

(Edit: I'm in! It had actually accepted my first registration, although it said it had rejected it. Now for some ... er ... flicking).

Comment

Flickchart

Lyra wrote:
                  Best choice I've had to make so far - 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days vs Knocked Up.
                  Oofah.

I like seeing the foreign posters on there. I keep getting asked to rank Alien, and it invariably comes up against some crappy movie, so it thinks I really like Alien. Same with O Brother which is by no means one of my favorite Coen Bros. movies.

Comment

Flickchart

This should carry a health warning. It's scarily addictive.

I've a few grumbles with the range of movies, there are very few non-American movies from before 2000. I couldn't see a single French New Wave movie on it so it's not like I was looking up obscure movies. It's even missing stuff from major directors like Hitchcock, Losey etc. I'm sure they'll add them in time but it's a slight annoyance. Another thing is it sometimes gets into a strange loop asking me to compare three movies ten times in a row. Now, I'm sure it's caused by me contradicting myself at some stage but I did get into a seemingly infinite loop with The Hurt Locker, Moon and The Wrestler and I know I wasn't contradicting myself there.

Thanks for the invite Lyra, I think I've done something like 2,000 comparisons are so but I can see that it's a drop in the ocean compared to some others on there.

Comment

Flickchart

Yeah, I've had quite a lot of Hitchcock (Rope, N by NW, The Birds, Dial M for Murder, Psycho, Vertigo, at least) so they are they, but of course there's lots & lots that need to be added.

I have a mate who had the same thing as you erwin with the weird multiple registrations - I guess that it is still in beta...

Comment

Flickchart

Nooo! It wants me to choose between Alien & Aliens. I think I will have to choose whichever is lower down the list, to give it a boost.

Comment

Flickchart

That would be Alien for me.

Comment

Flickchart

I'm still clicking away but I'm going to give it a small break until they get their user submission of movies sorted out.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd piggyback on to this with a movie website I came across. Stop reading now if you detest movie lists. This site has quite a few lists (imdb top 250 and all their top 50 genres, They Shoot Pictures, Don't They Top 1000 films, Taschen 100, the 1001 Films to see before you die, Roger Ebert's Great Movies and Empire Top 500 to name a few). What makes it special is that you tick all the movies you've seen* and you can then see for all lists how many you have seen, which obvious ones you've missed etc.

* That does seem the most tedious aspect of the thing to start with but if you're slightly sad like myself and rate the movies you've seen on imdb you can import your vote history in one easy click.

Now, I know that film viewing and appreciation isn't ticking numbers off a list drawn up by an expert or public opinion. I spend much more time reading books and blogs about the films I watch but this is useful if you're the type of person who will scan a list of movies wondering how many they've seen and trying to fill gaps in what you've missed.

There is other bells and whistles such as "top" users and awards for watching a certain percentage of each list but I'm ignoring that for the bollocks it is.

Comment

Working...
                            X