X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squarewheelbike
    replied
    Who?

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: NO SPOILER ALERT AS IT'S ALREADY BEEN IN THE PAPERS

If that IS the end for Clara, then the Xmas episode has already been leaked to feature River Bloody Song instead.
    Being of a certain age I like her!

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Who?

NO SPOILER ALERT AS IT'S ALREADY BEEN IN THE PAPERS

If that IS the end for Clara, then the Xmas episode has already been leaked to feature River Bloody Song instead.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Who?

SPOILER ALERT

The surprise wasn't that she was leaving the show but that she was killed off (with apparently no door left ajar to rewrite a death this time) and, as you say, that it happened with a little of the series left. I suppose once they decided to kill her off they thought they couldn't really do it on Xmas Day.

I'm actually enjoying this series more as it goes along, there's still flaws obviously but it's settling down. Getting rid of Clara probably gives them an opportunity to change the tone.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Who?

She's "died" once before already in this series, you know. I don't think that was the end at all. Not least because it ended with "To be continued" ....

Leave a comment:

• VTTBoscombe
    replied
    Who?

It's amazing how Dr Who's worth has fallen on here, that Harry's question was not immediately answered.

********Potential Spoiler******* In white, and hardly worth doing really.

- For me, the only shock was that they chose to do it in this rather low key episode.

******End of Potential Spolier*********
    I will keep watching in the vain hope it will pick up.
    This series it's become a case of recording the series , and remembering about Tuesday/Wednesday I still had to watch an episode.
    Quite a change for me, that only a year ago I was setting aside time to see it live.

Moffat out!

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Who?

Crumbs, that was a bit of a shock wasn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Who?

Now that was a good episode. Also, Nagata was very pretty.

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    Who?

Tee hee.

Leave a comment:

• Mumpo
    replied
    Who?

dalliance wrote: Doctor Who is good at promoting strong female characters, but while I love Rebecca Front as much as the next man, casting her as a crack militia leader?
    Yeah, it was a decent episode, but Front crack? Can't see it.

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    Who?

Crusoe wrote:
    Originally posted by dalliance
    Doctor Who is good at promoting strong female characters, but while I love Rebecca Front as much as the next man, casting her as a crack militia leader? Come on now.
    I was more concerned at the utter incompetence of the crack militia soldiers she commanded.
    There was a spelling mistake in the script, so the got cack militia soldiers in.

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Who?

Crusoe wrote:
    Originally posted by dalliance
    Doctor Who is good at promoting strong female characters, but while I love Rebecca Front as much as the next man, casting her as a crack militia leader? Come on now.
    I was more concerned at the utter incompetence of the crack militia soldiers she commanded.
    They would have been more effective if they were militia soldiers on crack.

Leave a comment:

• Crusoe
    replied
    Who?

dalliance wrote: Doctor Who is good at promoting strong female characters, but while I love Rebecca Front as much as the next man, casting her as a crack militia leader? Come on now.

Leave a comment:

• dalliance
    replied
    Who?

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Who?

I thought the whole shooting down an airliner with a shoulder-launched projectile was a bit wrong TBH.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Who?

I have tried one episode this season - the first Zygon one.

It was kind of interesting but the analogy was laid on thick. Read Zygons for Muslims and their black flag for Isis and it all seems a bit racist.

Also heading off to a village in a 'stan' country that looked remarkably like a Welsh churchyard. Very poor location choice. It looked like a duff fan-movie but lacked the production values.

Leave a comment:

• Taylor
    replied
    Who?

It's just a mess. The whole thing's a mess. The people writing it are not very clever, and not very good at writing (with the possible exception of Moffat, who's just totally burnt out)... but for some reason they think that writing Doctor Who is all about trying to seem clever, and flaunting your writing chops with needless (and usually failed) complexity.

The wholly predictable result is that each story is simultaneously overwritten and underwritten, and therefore a total fucking mess. Add the dreadful acting to that (with the obvious exception of Capaldi), the empty smugness which comes from pandering so heavily to your hardcore fans, and all those desperate dad's attempts to seem hip / offhand / sexy / funny in a "modern" kind of way... and you have a grim show indeed. I still watch it, but only out of appalled fascination, which is now beginning to dry.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Who?

Well, the last two episodes have certainly got me thinking about the underlying message. Also about the message from the previous Zygon episode, which I've had a little trouble with as I don't remember much of it.

Are we being told that immigrants should abandon their own culture completely to blend in? That humans can't be trusted to get on with people who don't look like themselves? That the vast majority of immigrants are people who just want to fit in but there are a small number of troublemakers who need to be shown, shown what?

It's left me feeling a little uncomfortable really. Oh, but the zygons haven't completely abandoned their own culture because they still have their command units.

I can't see RTD overseeing these episodes.

There is also the fact that this keeps happening.

Leave a comment:

• Squarewheelbike
    replied
    Who?

Well I thought I'd give it a last chance over the last two weeks. Sadly the re-boot that Russell T Davis gave us ten years ago has now become a dark, dreary, tedious hour of thoroughly uninteresting TV that's an utter chore to watch!

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Who?

Given the short lifespan of some characters in Game of Thrones, maybe there's a spoiler there for that series too.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Who?

Isn't that actress in Game of Thrones? Difficult for her to commit to another show's demanding filming schedule, I think she's more likely to be a River Song style occasionally recurring character.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Who?

I think his next companion is going to be the girl who died/woman who lived, maybe after she relinquishes her immortality in some contrived way.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Who?

Yeah, I thought tonight worked really well. The writing and Capaldi's performance really came in to their own and gelled together which it hasn't always done this series (though I'm still very positive about the show in general).

Clara is off at/by Xmas and it did seem to be set up for Osgood (or one of the them) to take over, I wonder of tonight's ending was a red herring.

Leave a comment:

• Crusoe
    replied
    Who?

I've gone off the show a fair bit, but tonight's was pretty decent. Osgood would make an interesting companion. And the dilemma standoff scene was very nicely done and (until the music kicked in) tense and well acted.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Who?

I had hoped that we could all just pretend that the last episode hadn't happened.

I know that we're not in the 60's and Doctor Who doesn't have to be educational but those weren't vikings. Also, a fucking helmet with horns?

And electric eels? Those creatures native to the Amazon and Orinoco basins?

Vikings are really cool and interesting so why use them like this? They were even shit for cinematic vikings.

Leave a comment:

• Fussbudget
    replied
    Who?

I really liked the second part of that flood story last week, it tied things up very nicely. A++, would watch again, etc.

The Vikings episode was a bit pants though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X