No announcement yet.

Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In recent ones as well there's a bit of Anna Karenina syndrome too - everyone going round saying how amazing and fabulous and brilliant and amazing the Doctor is, when tbh he/she is a bit bleh. One of the more recent ones had the fam queuing up to tell Jodie Doctor what a wonderful being she was but none of that seemed to be based on any on-screen action.

Comment

That's one of the many things I've noticed from watching classic who. The Doctor is just a guy, you know. His companions get annoyed with him and have tiffs and talk back. They're much more equals, even when the Doctor is telling the universe how smart he is. Actually, that's never treated as true, it's always a bit of bluster. He might be clever but he doesn't know everything and he makes mistakes.

Another thing is that he doesn't like to have a gun but he's always more than happy to have someone around who does, but only if they'll only do exactly what he tells them to do.

Comment

The Christmas Special was filmed before lockdown and involves Captain Jack, the Master, Davros and the Daleks. I think I'm looking forward to this more than Christmas itself.

Comment

Originally posted by David Agnew View Post
          Shameless attempt to get a megathread. Anyway the new series starts on April 5th. Hopes? Fears?
          One more page for the hundred.

So a hectathread looming at the very least…

Edit: "hectothread"

Comment

Just watched the New Year special. Probably the best Jodie Doctor story yet. I liked the nods back to other races. Jack was quite funny. Enjoyed the story resolution.

Comment

Yeah, that was an enjoyable one. Good to see Captain Jack again, and the Daleks are always welcome.

Comment

Overall it was enjoyable - exciting and striking action bits, solid story, and the 'thin blue line' Daleks were pretty witty as a topical reference. But the slow soap-emotional bits with doomy piano music are so, so poor. The companions leaving felt like watching an hour of limited actors trying to emote, but to be fair to them the script offered nothing they could work with, just platitudes about 'home' and 'family'. I know it is incorrect and pointless to compare new Who to classic Who, but after that I had to watch the end of 'Hand Of Fear' to see a beloved companion's departure handled with wit, imagination and pace (in an otherwise pretty uneven story, at that).

Comment

Yes, it passed the time well enough.

It got me thinking about how modern Who hasn't had collaborator and slave humans for daleks (my phone autocorrects TARDIS but not daleks?) Like in the 80s. Or even shown the daleks fighting people other than time lords and humanity.

The episode started off slow and confused me. Surely you can't have the first episode in... a long time, just pick up characters and threads like they were last week.

I can't believe that they just chucked away a TARDIS like that.

What was with the, we're 4 minutes from Osaka so now we can have a chat? I didn't think the TARDIS took significant time to travel. It felt like the writer needed to have that conversation but couldn't work out how to fit it in so just jammed it in where they could.

Jack wasn't very Jack.

Have people seen the announcement? It looks like you can't have doctor who without at least one white guy in the TARDIS.
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Osaka looked a lot lke a dimly-lit business park in Bristol.

Comment

"Have people seen the announcement? It looks like you can't have doctor who without at least one white guy in the TARDIS."

Yes, I thought the same. It would have been nice to just have two women on the TARDIS. And I generally prefer the one companion rule anyway. ​​​​​​

Comment

Rumour Jodie Whittaker to quit at the end of the upcoming series. ( from the S*n )

Comment

I don't think she's been particularly well served by the writers really. Too much "Doctor Wikipedia" exposition and too many stories that were heavy on the messaging and lightweight on the story, particularly in her second season.

Comment

Kris BT advert won't bring any more to the role than he did to Death in Paradise. And he was fucking shite in that.

Comment

Richard Ayoade apparently a bookies favourite to take over. First black Doctor, but there are black actors I'd prefer. I doubt whether he will actually be anyone other than Richard Ayoade in the role. I don't think he can act as another character.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                Richard Ayoade apparently a bookies favourite to take over. First black Doctor, but there are black actors I'd prefer. I doubt whether he will actually be anyone other than Richard Ayoade in the role. I don't think he can act as another character.
                                Who would you suggest instead PT? Genuine question. I think you are correct about about how Richard Ayoade always plays himself. I thought the Christmas/NY episodes were great. Not sure how I feel about Bishop joining the crew.

Comment

Well if we were aiming high I think Idris Elba or John Boyega would be excellent Doctors. Or David Oyewelo, who perhaps doesn't have such a high profile, but has real presence.

Comment

(But really any experienced black character actor would be better than Ayoade.)

Comment

Ruth Clayton has already been the first black Doctor.

Comment

Oh damn fine point. Bring her back.

Comment

For no reason other than dim memory of reading it as a teen, I bought the novelisation of The Three Doctors. It's a cracking read, I probably would have read the lot in one go last night but I realised sleep was an important thing.

Comment

I had a random Who related dream last night, don't recall the Doctor invading my dreams before...

The details are vague, but there was some kind of monster related running involved until I, and whoever was with me (details are vague), got to a certain room. There, I pulled out a large template for an unfolded TARDIS (think of how you used to draw out the six sides of a cube on some card, then cut it out and fold into the 3D shape). Then, with my colleagues and I stepping on the floor side of the template, we pulled the edges up around us until we found ourselves actually in the TARDIS. Then I woke up.

If this concept appears in any future episodes, my unconscious mind claims copyright.

Comment

That feels like a great plot device.

I've been wondering if early episodes of the reboot will get removed from iPlayer given the allegations made against Noel Clarke.

Comment

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1420746545616408580

Sad that Whittaker is leaving, pretty sanguine about the rest of the tweet.

Comment

She's been alright with some terrible scriptwriting and utterly shit plots. But easily the most forgettable of the modern doctors, for those reasons.

Comment

A petition wot I 'ave started

Please

Lump on

​​​​​​http://www.change.org/p/bbc-howard-k...new-doctor-who

Comment

Working...
                                                    X